• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yen Plus (Thoughts?)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I looked around for an existing thread, but couldn't find one so...here we go!

Has anyone picked up a copy of Yen Press' new publication? I got mine at this year's San Diego Comicon and I have to say that I was really impressed; that thing was huge! Though in comparision to its Japanese counterparts (Like GanGan and Shounen Jump, ect...) it's still small, I think it's a step in the right direction. The price did throw me for a bit (9.99 per issue), but reading through the compilation, I found that I enjoyed most of everything and they definitely--ambitiously--set out for having a genre for everyone.

My favorite, by far, was Soul Eater but I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy other titles such as "One Fine Day" for its light-hearted "feel-good" vibe and I was totally impressed by the art in Maximum Ride. Surprisingly (to me), I found I enjoyed the English/Korean side of the magazine much more, though I still haven't pinned down why. Either way, I think I'll be getting a subscription when next month rolls around.

So...any thoughts?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
I had actually forgotten about Yen Plus. I'll have to see if I can track down a copy, because it sounded interesting.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
So did Soul Eater make it through cut-free?
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
So did Soul Eater make it through cut-free?

Seems to me like it did (not that it really had much "objectional" material to begin with). Stuff like Sumomomo Momomo came intact with loli-ish panty shots and Jack Frost has a beheading and a quite detailed panty shot of it's own. (I was quite shocked/amused by all that!) So I think if *that* got in, Soul Eater would be fine.

That publication really ranges from "light" (One Fine Day) to "dark" (When They Cry, Jack Frost) with its content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1