• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote
Craeyst: Not really accurate, since none of the characters sing or dance specifically to the songs.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
I love Joss Whedon's stuff. Buffy was entertaining, but Buffy herself got annoying. Angel and Firefly (criminally short) was awesome and I loved the Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. So I guess you can count me as a nerdy Joss Whedon fan. Wink
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
What I find annoying about anime fans to some degree is the backlash that I sometimes get for liking certain shows or manga. I don't see on here which is great, but some of the fans that I have met over the years would ask me "what shows do I like?" I would answer what my favorites were and then when I would say something that they did like they would be like "Eww, how can you watch that garbage it's horrible." Then they would give me the many reasons why that show is horrible and also give me a massive list of stuff that I should watch instead.

That's what annoys me the most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ilkz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the best anime right now are Naruto shippuuden,bleach,hitman reborn and D.gray man

I disagree, stereotypical mob... and your English suck.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
I think it was Hiroyuki Yamaga who said that anime is about making limited animation look good, in contrast to Disney theatrical animation's production values. Not making anime musical films seems to be part of avoiding direct comparisons to Disney animated movies.

Would've been interesting to see the Sakura Taisen stage musicals.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
re: teh moe? I can take it or leave it.

Seriously, that uguu chick in Kanon gives me a rash. I like the show, but if I knew someone like that in real life I'd expect her to be arriving at school on the short bus. And no way would I hang out with her.

But if someone else wants to think of her as the cutest wittle snuggle-puppy-itsy-boo-boo, fine.

Just keep her the hell away from me. Twisted Evil
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
What annoys me the most?

It's the smell.

Laughing
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
[quote="Jack of All Games"]
Quote:

On a separate note, since when is 26 eps barely a season?

26 episodes is around 575-600 minutes. Most US TV series run about 400-600 a season, however some shows like Heroes ran over 1,000 minutes it's first season, but season 2 ran much shorter. 26 Episodes is a season.

Pricewise, not on sale, at Target or Walmart one could purchase a season for 18-30 dollars instead of the MSRP. The contrasts with a $50 on sale price of Full Metal Panic. The plain truth is that Anime is still twice as expensive in most cases to acquire than domestic series. This is better than where it was 10 years ago where 2 to 3 episodes would run you 22- 30 dollars. Or a season of Ranma 1/2 would cost you over $200.

One of the things the Anime distributors forgot was that when a show airs on TV, and is well watched, then the masses would expect to pay about the same amount of money per season as anything else on TV.

When it is a small niche of consumers purchasing they, who really just have got to see the show, they will pay $22 for two to four episodes. However they will only pay that if they have A. Already seen part of the show and really liked it and B. Lower priced substitute goods aren't around, and C. Have the disposable income to make the purchase.

Fansubs and/or frequent screenings are important in this market.... assuming you are not going for the mass market. Mass market wise fansubs/frequent screenings (Authorized or unauthorized) are bad.

The other thing is that a lot of what was produced in Japan over the last several years has been seen as mediocre by the niche market. It really hasn't been that much worse than other years, but before, distributors were more selective in acquiring shows to license. Only the shows seen as most desirable to the niche consumers / seen as higher quality were licensed and distributed before... however the distributors started licensing everything. Thus there was no filter.

Because there were more titles and many of them were seen by consumers as substitutes, many fans would purchase the lower priced ones and/or purchase lowered priced US TV shows instead.

Finally with the downturn in the economy and higher fuel costs there is less disposable income.

The anime distributors also didn't recognize, or it seems to me, that the mass airings on TV created a different market where they would have to sell more units at a lower price.
rebii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
I have noticed that the remarks about fansubs ruining the market are cropping up again. I can only speak for myself on this. If it were not for fansubs, I would not own the several series that I do, and would not be waiting for new series to complete so I can purchase the box set.

If not for fansubs, the anime presentations by Cartoon Network, Sci-Fi Channel, and Independent Film Channel would have a largely negative impact on me due to the rather insipid voice acting. There are exceptions, such as Cowboy Bebop and FMA to name two, but by and large va's, tend to concentrate on making their characters sound like a cartoon, instead of bringing them to life.

There are excellent VA's out there, Ayres for one, who do a great job, but the talent is thin.

All that being said, I do prefer my anime subbed, but I think that there should be good solid dubbed versions for those who prefer the dub. Unfortunately, this is frequently not the case.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Quote:
Though I think the closest you might get to an anime musical would be the South Park movie and
Happiness of the Katakuris.

Incorrect! And the answer is...... Interstella 5555.

Laughing I like that movie... although I'll say it ran right over 'musical' and kept going until it hit 'rock opera'... I guess techno opera?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
01N10A01N wrote:
One of the things the Anime distributors forgot was that when a show airs on TV, and is well watched, then the masses would expect to pay about the same amount of money per season as anything else on TV.

But that's simply ignorant of them, and here's why:

1) The fanbase of a particular anime will be FAR smaller than the fanbase of most live-action shows on TV. Even hits like Naruto and Bleach will have trouble competing with sales of shows like LOST and Heroes.
2) In terms of ANIMATION, anime is often CHEAPER than American cartoon DVDs. Buying 20 Avatar episodes in a boxset costs $50, or buying 22 Simpsons episodes costs $40, whereas you can get the majority of anime boxsets (which'll have 24-26 episodes) for $40.
3) They have lowered the price, and quite a few shows are going straight to boxset (or getting boxsets released almost immediately after the singles are released, like Viz is doing), even short series like Ouran High School. Lowering the price/increasing the episode amount any further would most likely be financial suicide.
4) Yes, TV shows go on sale, but so does anime. Best Buy will occasionally do an anime sale, FYE almost always has an anime sale going on, and most websites have sales every week.

So as far as I can see it, the industry (or, brace yourselves, we fans could do it) simply needs to explain to the masses why anime pricing is where it is, and how it's actually cheaper than ever, unlike certain other entertainment (*cough* video games *cough*).

rebuii: That might have been the case a while back, but the general consensus (from what I've seen) is that dub acting has VASTLY improved since the 80's/90's, and in some cases it's not just that the dub is somewhat better, but the sub itself simply isn't good (FMA had a horrible sub IMHO). And I fail to see how the dub acting is any less "cartoony" than the sub acting. Methinks someone is being a little lenient on the seiyus.
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I have noticed that the remarks about fansubs ruining the market are cropping up again. I can only speak for myself on this. If it were not for fansubs, I would not own the several series that I do, and would not be waiting for new series to complete so I can purchase the box set.

If not for fansubs, the anime presentations by Cartoon Network, Sci-Fi Channel, and Independent Film Channel would have a largely negative impact on me due to the rather insipid voice acting. There are exceptions, such as Cowboy Bebop and FMA to name two, but by and large va's, tend to concentrate on making their characters sound like a cartoon, instead of bringing them to life.

There are excellent VA's out there, Ayres for one, who do a great job, but the talent is thin.

All that being said, I do prefer my anime subbed, but I think that there should be good solid dubbed versions for those who prefer the dub. Unfortunately, this is frequently not the case.

your a rare breed, I've never known a fan-sub fan to buy the DVD's as well. but as for the voice acting, its not that the english dubs are bad, its just that people expect all dubs to be above and beyond. not that i dont expect good quality myself, im just saying that people tend to place the bar extremeley high, which is not fair for people who want an american audience to enjoy the show as well. but i wont say that there arent bad dubs either...
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
I think a lot of moe backlash comes from its prolifileration. Yes, there's a lot of it, and yes, it can be the only thing in a show some people focus on, but the cardinal sin is that it's what takes up the shelf space and gets the new shows made about it. Daryl Surat is a guy not above his fanservice, it's just his fanservice comes in the form of exploding heads in Fist of the North Star rather than the boobs of a cute girl> one quote from his AWO podcast was that he's willing to live with Moe until it starts getting in the way of things he wants (in refrence to Kujibiki Unbalance getting made over a second season of Genshiken). Myself, well I'd rather fanservices ex over fanserviced viloence, and find the former less disturbing, I do agree that neither should overshadow the classics, be they Ghibli films, Macross, Star Blazers, ect.

But in that answers the question of the week. What bothers me about fandom is its nature to expect that what they are a fan of is subject to be exactly wha they want it to be. Fans of one or another genre want as much of it as possible, and seem to expect that even if it isn't popular or marketable that anime companies should make it to make them happy. Downloaders want to just download everything, and expect the anime companies to deliver a system to do so. We want filler to go away, but still expect a new show every week. We want it now. We want what we like to be popular and easy to get and cheap. we want. we want we want. I remember the president of my anime club resigning because some of the members were demanding that he change the meeting lineup to the shows they wanted to see, rather than what the rest of the club wanted. Heck, how much fanfiction has been written with the mindset of "this is how the series SHOULD have gone? and these are the characters that "SHOULD have gotten together". Oh and of course, any convention brat that feels they must be the centre of attention just for being there rather than creating anything.

We're a spoiled culture, and fanboys can be the worst of the worst, complaining about anything they don't like, any minor flaw, or any inconveince in delevery, as if the creators and the industry were there to service them solely. Forget that they aren't playing well with other members of the fandom, but I have trouble beleiving creators need or want fans that are never happy with their works and efforts, and act like slave drivers going "more bleach" while cracking a whip.

Your fandom doesn't revolve around you, get over it.
voodoomage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
I would say all the annoying flame wars over what is right and wrong when it comes to anime. People fight over fansubs , they fight over what it means to be a fan, etc... We're not anime watchers, we are a bunch of bickering, "I'm right , you're wrong!", divided group of strangers... but now that I think about it, we must be a family, only families fight this much!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
01N10A01N wrote:

26 episodes is around 575-600 minutes. Most US TV series run about 400-600 a season, however some shows like Heroes ran over 1,000 minutes it's first season, but season 2 ran much shorter. 26 Episodes is a season.

THe accepted runtime for drama is a 60 minute slot (so like 45 minutes of show?) but the accepted runtime for a lot of other things is 30 minutes (so around 22 minutes?) Comedies, game shows, children's cartoons are in that 30 minute range, but that doesn't mean they are expected to fill out 600 minutes. THey are still filling a number of weeks the show will be aired--spots on the schedule.
If I buy a season of Just SHoot Me the minutes will be less than a season of Supernatural. No one considers it being ripped off. It's just how it is.
When I was a child, we got more eps per season. I finally got my hands on Season 1 of Get Smart which has 30 eps. American TV as reduced from about that amount for all shows to 22 eps per season. Not only that, they used to take shows off the air for the summer so the shows often weren't really re-run. THere were many summer replacement shows I loved & they usually ran about 13 weeks & sometimes worked into a full series slot.

So the 13/26 thing is pretty much what they seem to use in Japan, but not always. We do see some with fewer eps & some with odd amounts (like DN not making it to 52 eps)

On the musical thing, that is true. They do make anime musicals, but they're done onstage so maybe fuuma is right--The Jaoanese may recognize the limitations of their art & know anime style can't pay as much attentions to every corner of the screen as Disney does, much less live action where the entire cast onstage is moving, not just the typical characters carrying the action as anime usually only bothers to animate. A big part of the musical is the presentation. Sumptuous. Lavish. Breathtaking. THey can skimp in other places, but a musical has to pull out all the stops for at least one (& usually more) of the dance segments.

Fushigi Yugi did the characters songs used as background music. "Fly" was used more than once when Tamahome was onscreen. Nakago, Chichiri--they all had their songs used in the anime. THere was even a joke in the omake about one of the character's songs selling more copies than another.

01N10A01N wrote:
[
Pricewise, not on sale, at Target or Walmart one could purchase a season for 18-30 dollars instead of the MSRP. The contrasts with a $50 on sale price of Full Metal Panic. The plain truth is that Anime is still twice as expensive in most cases to acquire than domestic series. This is better than where it was 10 years ago where 2 to 3 episodes would run you 22- 30 dollars. Or a season of Ranma 1/2 would cost you over $200.

One of the things the Anime distributors forgot was that when a show airs on TV, and is well watched, then the masses would expect to pay about the same amount of money per season as anything else on TV..

Why do anime fans love to compare apples & oranges?
Do you ever watch the History Channel or Discovery & see what those dvds sells for? They run pretty steep also. THese are also shows running on a network with a smaller viewership so not as much is made off the commercials to subsidize the dvds.
THe stuff on the big channels like WB have made their money (& maybe more) on air--home sales are just icing on the cake. Same is usually true for movies-most have at least broken even at the box office & the home market is just more profit.

ANime is an import item.
Why do anime fans expect anime to air on American tv? Do you expect the latest hits from Germany or France to be dubbed & run on American TV? I'm sure there are fans of Itallian tv here in the states who'd love to see some of those shows conveniently aired on their American tv screens.

THe fact is anime is vying for a piece of the American viewer audience & most of those American viewers have no interest whatsoever in watching anime. A vast majority of American adults flipping channels seeing animated characters on the screen are going to keep flipping. Americans know cartoons are for kids. They've grown up with the idea kids watch animation & adults don't. Adults who do are "different", "geeky", 'juvenile" & probably "need to grow up".
Anime is often drenched in Japanese culture. (Remember Brock's "donuts"?) Most anime fans pick it up. Most Americans could care less about picking up the cultural peculiarities of other nations. Public baths? Probably strange at best & disturbing overall to the average American adult. American shows have American culture the viewers don't need a footnote to explain what's going on.

01N10A01N wrote:

When it is a small niche of consumers purchasing they, who really just have got to see the show, they will pay $22 for two to four episodes. However they will only pay that if they have A. Already seen part of the show and really liked it and B. Lower priced substitute goods aren't around, and C. Have the disposable income to make the purchase..

???
And isn't the disposable income true even about American titles? I don't know about you, but if I can't figure how I can afford to buy Season 3 of Supernatural, pay my bills, put gas in my truck & feed my teen the week it comes out, I will not buy it until I can budget it.

I have A LOT of titles in my collection I bought sight unseen. I loved Newtype USA because I read all those little "New in Japan" or whatever it was, read who was making what & who the VA's were & what the titles were about & then started praying someone would license it since I don't download anime. There are titles I wanted before they even aired in Japan based on cast & crew. It's not unlike a Will Ferrell movie or Batman--the fans will go to it, the rest make up their mind off the movie trailers & ad campaigns & the rest are last-minute/spur-of-the-moment.

Don't say people only buy what they've seen. I've done it. I've had people in the anime section at Best Buy ask me if I know about this or that title.

[quote="01N10A01N"]
The other thing is that a lot of what was produced in Japan over the last several years has been seen as mediocre by the niche market. It really hasn't been that much worse than other years, but before, distributors were more selective in acquiring shows to license. Only the shows seen as most desirable to the niche consumers / seen as higher quality were licensed and distributed before... however the distributors started licensing everything. Thus there was no filter.[quote]

The biggest problem is the difference in the market. In Japan the general public are more homogenous/less diversified than America with our 50 states. Here retailers & entertainment seem to go for the biggest bang for the buck-attract the largest audience. If one is lucky someone else, willing to settle for a lesser spot, will move in & offer product to others, but at a certain point(in all markets) the audience buying is too small to justify the service provided. So Japan is more willing to sell to smaller markets. American comics dumped the gals ages ago under the pretext "girls don't buy comic books" so they focused on their core (male) audience. Yes, some gals still read, but the comic book people didn't specifically chase that audience. When manga broke over here & gals started buying, the companies chased the gals that were buying manga because they were not supposed to exist. Girls buy make-up & clothes with their money--everyone knew that. I was at one panel(Del Rey as I recall) a couple years ago at Comic-con where guys kept standing up "Will you license this?""Do you have plans to license this" & finally someone on the panel commented the phenomenon that was striking the publishers was the number of gals buying manga. This was seen a Fresh Meat. This wasn't Marvel stealing DC readers. This was females spending their money on something all the statistics said they didn't spend their money on, so it was new income.
Japan has always made manga for girls. There are sub-genres like yaoi & josei, etc. They are willing to accept the smaller profit that particular audience may represent while American producers haven't. It's just a difference in company outlook. Rest assured they are looking at profit on both sides of the Pacific. However, this is a brave new field over here. Mistakes were made. The size of the audience was maybe too small. THings were crazy for a bit. MB has said they will be lucky to break even on Oh My Goddess by the time the license expires, but they thought they needed an "A" title. they've since discovered otherwise.
Japan will continue to make stuff they know they can sell. Moe sells right now. Newtype mentioned a year or so back anime companies were looking at more & more game titles since they were perceived to have a built-in audience. With what's happened with the North American market, Japan obviously can't count on us & has to sell to who they can count on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5