• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galaxy Express

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
3) Why oh why (or how) does Maetel look like Tetsuro's mother and what is the secret that is revealed in adieu Galaxy express? somehow i must have missed something.

Because Matsumoto can only draw one kind of woman Smile
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:16 am Reply with quote
Yea, don't they cover why they look similar in the movie. Maybe you should watch it again. What I really want to see is the tv series that is like 80 episodes long. They need to get that released over here in a form thats not a crappy HK bootleg. I'd also prefer a dub, unlike what certain companies think about hardcore fans.
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
[Because Matsumoto can only draw one kind of woman ]

Actually, I am beginning to believe this is true and is reinforced in the new manga that he drew. Anyway, back to the anime, apparently the TV series was 113 episodes. I do believe I have seen a couple of these DVDs available but if memory serves, they are all HK bootlegs.

Anyone know what the issue is in releasing the G.E movies that were released on VHS by VIZ on DVD?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
But they look similar for a different reason aswell. Its stated in the movie. Definantly want to see the tv series. However, I still need to finish the manga.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Also they need to release the 3rd movie over here aswell. I think they're airing a new Galaxy Express 999 tv series in Japan as we speak, if I'm not mistaken.
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Do you remember what the reason is that is given in the movie as to why they look similar? Also, i assume the manga you are reading is the VIZ 5 volume set?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyone know what the issue is in releasing the G.E movies that were released on VHS by VIZ on DVD?

The current management wants them to concentrate on new titles, not older classic ones with marginal US sales. They'll probably let the license expire and someone will pick it up *knocking wood* who will do great things with it

Quote:
Also they need to release the 3rd movie over here aswell. I think they're airing a new Galaxy Express 999 tv series in Japan as we speak, if I'm not mistaken.

There is no third theatrical movie. Then new series is Galaxy Railways, which (as far as I've seen) doesn't have anything to do with the current continuity
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quote
In the review on Eternal fantasy (55 minutes)which may or may not be what you are referrring to:

animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=119

there is a reference to a possible movie later that year.

Apparently it never surfaced.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I'm refering to Eternal Fantasy, which I think was the third movie. Is it actually an OVA?

Quote:
There is no third theatrical movie. Then new series is Galaxy Railways, which (as far as I've seen) doesn't have anything to do with the current continuity

None of the Matsumoto shows are connected to eachother. The rare instance may be the GE999 movies. The new show involves Matelle, 999, Tetsuo, etc., right, or is it something else. I also hope that Submarine Super 99 show gets picked up, aswell.

Quote:
The current management wants them to concentrate on new titles, not older classic ones with marginal US sales. They'll probably let the license expire and someone will pick it up *knocking wood* who will do great things with it

Well thats pretty freaking stupid of them considering its one of the more famous anime movies in the United States. I'm pretty sure the DVDs would sell quite nicely, but thats corporate stupidity for you.
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I believe I read somewhere that Eternal Fantasy is a continuation of the 113 TV episodes.

Note however, that if you are a continuity buff, then Adieu Galaxy Express nor Eternal Fantasy never happened. The new Manga that matsumoto wrote(the 5 VIZ graphic novels) take place after the FIRST galaxy express movie which I do believe represents the original manga. However if I am incorrect in a any of this, I am sure someone will let us know!!!!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:32 am Reply with quote
Ok, you're blowing my mind here. So the manga that Viz released isn't the first Galaxy Express 999 manga? I've only read vollume 3 a few years ago. I bought the rest and have been meaning to get around to reading them, but is this really true?
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:33 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Ok, you're blowing my mind here. So the manga that Viz released isn't the first Galaxy Express 999 manga? I've only read vollume 3 a few years ago. I bought the rest and have been meaning to get around to reading them, but is this really true?

Yep, it is true. Take a look at the back cover of your first Galaxy Express graphic novel by VIZ. It says, " In this all new and updated continuation of the classic manga series..."

Yes, we all must wonder why the first manga wasn't reprinted in this format....
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:54 am Reply with quote
The original was back in the 70s.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Damn, thats messed up that I never noticed that. Still going to read it though. I really enjoyed vollume 3. Its a crime that more Matsumoto manga insn't licensed.
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:43 am Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad
This is tough. There is so little GE 999 availability here that is not bootlegged. For the record, I have seen the HK bootleg of the movie collection. The translation is horrible, beyond horrible.
I have the signature editions VHS and there is simply no comparison.

I am desparately hoping that the TV episodes (which are available region zero) will someday be translated into region 1 DVDs.

Has anyone seen the TV episodes, even the bootleg edition? There are 32 episodes that are available now. Just curious how bad the translations are
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3