• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Losses Mount in Second Quarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
What 4kids needs to do is Diversify. Pokemon only got big not because of the card game and anime, but also toys, nick-nacks, and other assorted junk as well. They could've saved One Piece by also importing some of the merchendising behind One Piece. How long did it take to even show a toy prototype?

The fact alone they they believe a card game is their salvation is troubling at best.

Thing is, I'm sure a lot of that had to do with Nintendo as well.

And One Piece did have Action Figures, some modest line from Mattel was released durring the 4Kids run, I own a few of them, and they're quite "meh" figures. Heck, one of them even got recalled durring one of Mattel's massive recalls last year.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Although lately it seems like there's at least one post asking for a rescue of SK in every major convention thread. You never know.

It's definitely a possibility given all the crazy stuff happening lately (Geneon disappeared? I don't know what you're talking about Wink). Heck, the rescue of One Piece was definitely a surprise. IIRC, even Zac had said it wouldn't be likely that One Piece would be picked up by someone else until about 2008-2009 (note: not picking on Zac, he made a solid prediction, just showing how surprising Funimation's rescue-operation was).
stararnold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
4Kids should just stick with doing original American shows for kids and give up licensing Anime!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
This all said, I'm standing right here, with my arms streched out, ready to give 4kids a fair deal of money for Ulitmate Muscle boxsets and a boxset of Shaman King.

Just money? As far as SK goes I'm prepared to offer up an arm, a leg, my firstborn, and however much blood they desire, and THEN I'll pay for it Razz I'm not expecting anything fancy either; as long as I get Japanese language with subtitles, decent quality, and Over Soul + Northern Lights back where they belong I have no complaints.
Ah, I was talking about the Dub, which, lets not kid ourselves, is an edited dub, but none the less is thier best work since Ultimate Muscle.

And UM I feel was brillantly done.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
To all the Chaotic naysayers, the article doesn't mention this, but Chaotic's sales doubled from the 1st quarter to the 2nd (went from something like $2.4 million to $5.2 million). If 4Kids can keep up this momentum through the rest of 2008 and the holiday season, they'll be in VERY good shape.

Anyway, rofl at everyone who still hates 4Kids. Yeah, they've produced some pretty bad dubs in the past, but they only have two anime titles scheduled this year for broadcast. And those dubs (Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's and Dinosaur King) are actually pretty decent. The rest of their lineup is stuff they produce or stuff produced by other North American companies.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I love how none of you mention Toei's involvement in the editing, and localization of a certain show about Pirates. Toei is as much at fault, as is 4Kids.

GeneralArrow wrote:
DOWN WITH 4KIDS Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad! They ruined one piece and even shows like SM had some big plot changes. Thanks funimation for bringing back one piece! Sorry just had to rant.

If by SM, you mean Sailormoon then that wasn't 4Kids, that was DiC, who later got funding for the dub by Nelvana, before Toei felt like pulling the plug. Which hurt because ADV was releasing the show Uncut. The same situation happened for Saint Seiya/Knights Of The Zodiac, where DiC created the TV dub, but ADV was releasing it Uncut, but again, Toei had to pull the show back.

Back to 4Kids, I really want to see how Kamen Rider faires on their CW4Kids block, the same goes for Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds, but I don't have a CW affilate.

@Buster Blader, reason why those shows had decent dubs were because the Transformers shows were co-productions with Takara, and Beyblade was handled by Nelvana.
I know the deal with Sailor Moon, but not letting ADV finish Saint Seiya is just nonsense to me. I was going to buy ADV's Saint Seiya sets but there is no reason to buy a series I can't legally finish.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I know the deal with Sailor Moon, but not letting ADV finish Saint Seiya is just nonsense to me. I was going to buy ADV's Saint Seiya sets but there is no reason to buy a series I can't legally finish.
Two very good reasons my friend: Toei runs on pure arseholery and ADV are just downright incompetent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4