• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
How about: Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs Vash the Stampede (Trigun)

A well-known AMV called Tainted Dounuts tackled this one. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Luffy would win if it was the manga hands down but if it was in the anime and naruto used kyuubi I don't know.
Sure gurren lagann has a drill but Eva unit 01 would probably do anything to protect itself and shinji even if shinji wouldn't. Plus kaworu might come up and squish GL.
Now if it was unit 00 or unit 02 that would be better because asuka has more passion and rei does whatever is necessary and doesn't lose as much.

I don't think that the industry is as dead as they say. It really depends on the company you ask. Things are going to have to change and anime is going to have to be distributed in some more ways. Television is a good step and I'm sure the Funi channel would do well if more people had it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have no idea what the latter two matchups consist of (having not seen neither Eva or Gurenn Lagann, or knowing who the two individuals named are), so I'll give my opinion of Naruto vs Luffy. And, I would expect Luffy to go all the way, because he just lives and survives in a world that can far outdo what Naruto can ever do.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I don't think that the industry is as dead as they say. It really depends on the company you ask. Things are going to have to change and anime is going to have to be distributed in some more ways. Television is a good step and I'm sure the Funi channel would do well if more people had it.
If is only two letters, but such a hugh word. Lets look at what has happen in just 8 months. One company pulled out, another floundering on the rocks, another reorganising, dubs are all but disappearing as more and more surviving companies are too busy placating the fansubbers in the hopes of getting more of them to buy something leaving most of those who always bought something with less and less to buy. It seems they are like a dog chasing its tail in the middle of the road, not paying attention to the on coming truck, whilst everyone in trouble is dumping their eggs into FUNimation's basket when Funi is also carrying its own parent company limping down to the economic A & E. Doesn't anyone remember when ADV was considered a "Strong Company"? How much more can FUNi carry before it too breaks. See you in 2 to 5 years, God willing.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Pirates beat ninjas, I don't care about mecha, and I've no idea who the other people are.

I did like the video of the kitten drinking milk, though. So cute!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Pirates beat ninjas, I don't care about mecha, and I've no idea who the other people are.

Pissssssst! spoiler[it's a bunny.] Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Narutos 's stronger, however Luffy does have more fighting spirit. draw.

Eva 01 vs. Gurren Lagann? i really don't see how this is a fair fight, unless there's some serious handicaps involved. i mean spoiler[Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the size of the universe, Chouginga Gurren Lagann is the size of the moon, Arc Gurren Lagann can break reality, and regular Gurren Lagann by itself can warp through time/space] pretty much all scenarios end with Eva's defeat.

don't know who David Williams is, but Matt Greenfield has done a pretty good job defeating himself.

edit: nevermind, they both work for ADV. draw.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Showsni wrote:

Mwaha! You fell into my trap! You see, a baby rabbit is called a kitten. Females are does, and males are bucks.
sledge-daddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
in a fight between those two mechs shinji would loose his umbilical cable causing him to "freak out" (sync rate 400%!) pushing gurren lagann into a corner so simon would just have to beat it with one of his super impossible come from behind giant drill finishers
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It appears Dorcas_Aurelia's response regarding Elfen Lied did not get published this week. Shame, since they seemed so enthusiastic.

I've still got it in my outbox, so I might as well post it.

I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum, but I think I may need to reveal some to support my argument.

Elfen Lied is significantly better in it's anime adaptation than the original manga. The most obvious aspect in which the series improves is the reduction sexual fanservice. While many who find the series overrated complain about Nyuu's antics, the manga takes the eroticism several steps further in ways even the most ardent fans would have difficulty justifying to the plot. The character, Nozomi, for example, was eliminated entirely at no loss because she only existed originally to fulfill a particular fetish (hint: she was of legal age, but still wore diapers).

Besides the reduction of gratuitous nudity, which helped the series maintain a generally more serious tone, the cutting of the second half of the series prevents the cloudying of the resolution of several character and plot developments, particularly Lucy's repentence and Kouta's acceptance of her past deeds. While the ending of the anime may appear ambiguous at first, the abundance of symbolism makes the outcome not only clear, but hopeful. The only noticeable loose end is Director Kakuzawa's revelation, and that isn't as important as issue's such as the struggles of the diclonii trying to adapt to human society, Mayu learning to trust people, Kouta coming to grips with his past, or Kurama atoning for his personal misdeeds. The manga, however, proceeds with a number of plot twists that are not only outrageous, but often undue all the accomplishments a character had made to that point.

The manga also has an irritating habit of pretending to kill off characters, and then not. While this can ocassionally cause suspense (especially since Lynn Okamoto is willing to kill off just about any of the characters), the frequency with which it occurs increases rapidly at the halfway point. For at least one character, it happens several times within a few chapters before they are killed off, only to be revealed a dozen chapters later to still be alive. One shouldn't assume a character is dead unless their head is seen seperated from the body.

Finally, there's the attitude of Lucy. Despite her actions, the anime manages to present her as pitiable, and someone who is trying to change. The manga, however, depicts her as unrepentantly evil. She not only enjoys killing others, but demonstrates their powerlessness over her by torturing and taunting them. Yes, in the anime she kills Kisaragi who was mostly innocent and happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time in order to torment Kurama, but the manga takes this further when another innocent girl with bad luck happens into the middle of a fight and Lucy tears her apart for less reason.

The anime can be seen as a story about trying to find acceptance and redemption, but the manga eventually just turns into a story about monsters doing horrible things to people and killing each other.

Also, did we really need another pedophile rapist in the story?

Quote:
EVA 01 would crush Gurren Lagann, assuming Shinji was on the same level as he was in episode 19. If so, then there's little comparison. At least put up a Mecha match where both sides have a chance. Should Simon ever decide to fight Shinji, he had better write a Will and pick out his tombstone ahead of time.

Both mechs are pretty dependent on the mental state of their operator. Simon from episode 8 would lose pretty much no matter what, while Simon like he was at the climax of the series was could probably match Shinji on his best day.
Soldat of life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I love the cute bunny that is being fed.

Made my day worth while ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Naruto vs. Luffy (where they're at currently in the manga) would result in spoiler[Luffy wiping the floor with Naruto. Let's face it, Luffy uses his Gears freely, whereas Naruto is avoiding at all costs using the Nine-Tailed Fox's power. Maybe when Naruto masters the sage arts, he'll stand a chance. However, OPverse > Narutoverse in terms of sheer power. There are tons of OP characters that are practically at "Saiyan Saga" DBZ level. In the Narutoverse, you have the Nine-Tailed Fox (could wipe out mountains), and..........that's about it. Unless you count Deidara, but he had to kill himself in order to use that kind of destructive power.]

Slightly OT but I'm curious: You can read Japanese?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Showsni wrote:

Mwaha! You fell into my trap! You see, a baby rabbit is called a kitten. Females are does, and males are bucks.
Erm, where I come from the baby is called a fawn. Wink
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
match 1: naruto because he's not bright enough to realise when he's been beat.

match 2: not sure

match 3: matt greenfield because he's twice david williams' size.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Naruto vs. Luffy (where they're at currently in the manga) would result in spoiler[Luffy wiping the floor with Naruto. Let's face it, Luffy uses his Gears freely, whereas Naruto is avoiding at all costs using the Nine-Tailed Fox's power. Maybe when Naruto masters the sage arts, he'll stand a chance. However, OPverse > Narutoverse in terms of sheer power. There are tons of OP characters that are practically at "Saiyan Saga" DBZ level. In the Narutoverse, you have the Nine-Tailed Fox (could wipe out mountains), and..........that's about it. Unless you count Deidara, but he had to kill himself in order to use that kind of destructive power.]

Slightly OT but I'm curious: You can read Japanese?

Not yet (I'm considering taking a class when I transfer from my community college to a main college in 2010), I'm up to date on Naruto and OP through scanlations, which I HATE using. I mean, I'm not huge on fansubs either, but at least they don't ruin the experience (usually). But manga, give me a genuine volume over "read, click, read, click, the repetition never ends!". With anime/manga, I pretty much only stick with what's officially released via DVDs/TV, but I made an exception with Naruto/OP because I found it's hard to talk anime/manga without everyone on forums spoiling major events (same with Bleach, but I stay anime-only with that, Kubo's drawing style is good, just not my thing.). So I was kinda forced to go the "online" route with those if I wanted any chance of being able to enjoy the stories without having every major event ruined for me (same thing happened to my buddies who are into anime, they got sick of being spoiled, so they went to the fansubs/scanlations. Note: We all still buy those series, of course).

Unfortunately, I stick with the official volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist since I thought Viz' translation is much better than the fantranslations I've found, but then someone spoiled the big Chapter 70 twist that would have made my jaw drop if I had been allowed to reach it properly. Same with all major plot twists involving Bleach. Please people, unless you're talking about "Darth Vader"-level awareness plot twists, please use spoiler tags! Sad

Luckily, this rudeness only seems to be used in terms of major mainstream series. For example, I read Tsubasa through the volumes only, and haven't been spoiled on anything later on (YET). Thank goodness, if anyone had spoiled Vol. 16 for me, you can bet some ranting would occur.

BTW: let's have fun! Imagine if Kamina was in charge of NERV, and Gendo was in charge of Team Gurren! Try to imagine those hilarious scenarios! Very Happy I see Kamina snapping the Eva pilots out of depression via a few "who the hell do you think I am?!!!" punches, and Gendo getting whacked in the head by Yoko's rifle, and she heads off with Simon and Leeron and they try to forget about the "creepy guy who stares intently at us way too much".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6