• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anath_19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
One shouldn't assume a character is dead unless their head is seen seperated from the body.

Not necessarily (images edited to remove nudity, nothing more... and yes, those two pages are consecutive)

I agree with you for the most part, though I won't give up hope that Nozomi will develop a purpose until I finish reading the manga (I'm getting a feeling it's wishful thinking, though).

I heavily disagree about your opinion of Lucy, though. It may not be as visible as it is in the anime, but she's definitely trying to change in the manga as well. Also, (spoiler for chapter 85) spoiler[the only other innocent girl I can think of that was killed around Lucy was the artist girl who wanted to meet her mom again... and that was definitely not Lucy's fault, but the SWAT team trying to capture her.] If said innocent girl happens sometime in Volume 12, then I'll concede that you might have a point, since I haven't read that far. Either way, debating about this point might be better done in a PM.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Naruto vs. Luffy:

At some point faced with one another, both would come to realize how much they have in common and that they aren't enemies, and would render this battle pointless and become friends. No one wins. Razz

I'm sorry, I love both of them to death, I don't think I would want to see them pitted against each other. Anime smile + sweatdrop
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Geez, how about a couple of classics?

Ranma Saotome vs Ryouga Hibiki

Goku (DBZ) vs [insert favorite superhero here]

Anyways, some unexpected American toons are insanely popular in Japan, like Wacky Races (do you know how many anime dogs look like Muttley?!). And of course, some are popular among certain otaku like South Park. Laughing
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
One shouldn't assume a character is dead unless their head is seen seperated from the body.

Not necessarily (images edited to remove nudity, nothing more... and yes, those two pages are consecutive)

So I forget to add "and even then, it might not have actually happened". The point was there were too many fake out deaths.

Quote:
I heavily disagree about your opinion of Lucy, though. It may not be as visible as it is in the anime, but she's definitely trying to change in the manga as well.

spoiler[Lucy tried to kill Mayu,] Chapter 77. That's what I was referring to. spoiler[Mayu has been nothing but a friend to Nyu, whose memories Lucy retains, and even seeing Lucy fighting against two people she cares about wants to believe in her, yet Lucy attempts to kill Mayu because Lucy is cannot adapt to human society.]
lazylii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
interesting answerfan

Naruto vs Luffy: at first i would say Luffy. but there is the chance the two would start talking in their battle and end it in a draw. then decide to go out to eat
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I wrote:
Naruto vs. Luffy:

At some point faced with one another, both would come to realize how much they have in common and that they aren't enemies, and would render this battle pointless and become friends. No one wins. Razz

I'm sorry, I love both of them to death, I don't think I would want to see them pitted against each other. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Heh heh, or better yet, they then join together with all the other heroes from Shounen Jump and form the Jump Ultimate Alliance!! Anime hyper

Had to get that out of my system. Laughing

Anyways, I just had a thought on series where the anime is better than the manga. I think both Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter were rare occurances where a shounen series had an anime version that outdid the manga. I personally think FMA's manga and anime are on par with one another, and I haven't seen the Shaman King anime yet or read the Kekkaishi manga yet either, so that's what it comes down to. Although it's kind of hard to say, because I do believe that there were things atmosphere wise that Togashi did better in each series, but even then the anime did it just fine anyways despite that. Mostly in both I believe that the art in particular made up for what the manga lacked in that area (I've never really been impressed by Togashi's art...... ). And of course neither had any filler in it (except I remember a breif like, 5 episode one at the beginning of HxH but it flowed very exceptionally well with everything) so that helps the cause. And not only that, but there were kind of really pointless filler-like stories at the beginning of the YYH manga that the anime was wise to take out.

Both pretty much followed the manga to a T with a few very, very minor differences here and there (which all of these things I just mentioned are pretty much it), but it's those differences I think is what inevitably makes the anime better in both cases.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

So I forget to add "and even then, it might not have actually happened". The point was there were too many fake out deaths.

I guess I should have added a Very Happy emoticon or something there, since I was entirely joking with that. If anything, it serves to point out how bad Okamoto is in the art department >_> (yet another reason why the anime is better).

Quote:
spoiler[Lucy tried to kill Mayu,] Chapter 77. That's what I was referring to. spoiler[Mayu has been nothing but a friend to Nyu, whose memories Lucy retains, and even seeing Lucy fighting against two people she cares about wants to believe in her, yet Lucy attempts to kill Mayu because Lucy is cannot adapt to human society.]

I completely forgot about that, so thank you for reminding me. There's... not much I can do to defend her actions there. I don't particularly remember any point where spoiler[Lucy remembers things that Nyuu's done, though. Nyuu certainly doesn't remember anything that Lucy's done, and I don't remember any instances where Lucy comments about things that Nyuu's done. If you consider the Lucy of chapter 76 onwards as being a grown-up version of Nyuu, that would definitely make sense. However, I'm pretty sure that the Lucy personality came back after Bandou showed up at the house. At the beginning of Chapter 76, Nana makes a remark about the other Nyuu reappearing; she also makes a very un-Nyuu-like face when responding to Bandou's challenge.]
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

Anyways, I just had a thought on series where the anime is better than the manga. I think both Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter were rare occurances where a shounen series had an anime version that outdid the manga. I personally think FMA's manga and anime are on par with one another, and I haven't seen the Shaman King anime yet or read the Kekkaishi manga yet either, so that's what it comes down to.

I was back and forth on it for a while, but ultimately I've come to the conclusion that the SK anime is actually better than the manga. Sure, the manga has all of the nice backstory (Manta's family, the Osorezan Revoir), and it starts off at a decent pace, but then it goes on. And on. And on. Until one single fight scene is taking up two volumes and even the scanlators give up on it and just stick in a note saying "Skip this, nothing happens." Sure, it's still the same mellow shounen story with fun characters, but after a while it really starts to wear on you.

The anime, on the other hand, is pretty much non-stop entertainment from start to finish (at least after the first twelve episodes or so - the series is still kind of getting into its groove at that point). You have the occasional filler episode here and there but it's fun filler and not something you feel like you want to skip past. While the manga occasionally strays into the depths of yawn-inducing melodrama, the anime never takes itself seriously, and I think this approach works a lot better for the story and characters. The anime is also considerably shorter than the manga, which is nice; they're real good about not making the fight scenes drag on forever Razz

Oh yeah, and the anime has more Jun, which is most definitely a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I was back and forth on it for a while, but ultimately I've come to the conclusion that the SK anime is actually better than the manga.
I'm so confused by what little I gleaned from Shaman King.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Dahling wrote:

The bunny = fantastic. I watched the whole thing.

You serious? lol. I thought it was a little long.

Anyway, I think that ADV can suffer and die all it likes but FUNimation has some advantage in that they are owned by a larger company that does other business. FUNimation has proven themselves as viable, I'd imagine, and I imagine that if they got into hot water, their parent company whould bail them out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
Thank you for a very interesting post, Dorcas_Aurelia. You've made some excellent points.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The character, Nozomi, for example, was eliminated entirely at no loss because she only existed originally to fulfill a particular fetish (hint: she was of legal age, but still wore diapers).

I agree 100% on this point. This character never should have been in the story. I also agree with you about how the decrease in fanservice helped establish a more serious mood. I'd like to add that I also prefer the anime's art style.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The manga, however, proceeds with a number of plot twists that are not only outrageous, but often undue all the accomplishments a character had made to that point.

Outrageous they may be, but in the context of an already outrageous story, they seemed rather at place to me. I disagree about them undoing the progress characters have made up to that point, though. In fact, a number of characters got further developed than in the anime (e.g. spoiler[Bandou]).

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The manga also has an irritating habit of pretending to kill off characters, and then not.

I didn't find this nearly as disruptive. I found it a chilling and effective device especially because it emphasizes the fact that any character can die in this manga.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Finally, there's the attitude of Lucy. Despite her actions, the anime manages to present her as pitiable, and someone who is trying to change.

Which is the anime's greatest fault, in my opinion. At what point does Lucy magically begin to feel remorse for her actions? What triggers this? Nothing. She just suddenly starts repenting after spoiler[Kouta regains his memory]. Maybe it's just that I lack sympathy for bloodthirsty murderers, but it really looked to me as if they simply changed her personality in the last few episodes to give the anime a kiss-and-make-up ending.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The anime can be seen as a story about trying to find acceptance and redemption, but the manga eventually just turns into a story about monsters doing horrible things to people and killing each other.

Elfen Lied was never about acceptance and redemption. The anime tried to make it such, but failed miserably in my books.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also, did we really need another pedophile rapist in the story?

The story needed a villain harsher than spoiler[Bandou] to cast the latter in a heroic light (though it was shortlived, as it should be).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The manga, however, proceeds with a number of plot twists that are not only outrageous, but often undue all the accomplishments a character had made to that point.

Outrageous they may be, but in the context of an already outrageous story, they seemed rather at place to me. I disagree about them undoing the progress characters have made up to that point, though. In fact, a number of characters got further developed than in the anime (e.g. spoiler[Bandou]).

spoiler[Bandou], yes. spoiler[Kurama, Lucy, and Kouta], not so much. spoiler[Kurama survives mainly because he's needed for a key plot point near the end of the story, but he spends most of the time being a haggard old man obsessed over the loss of his daughter, and he verbally bitch-slaps Nana when they first meet up again. Lucy oscillates between being uneasy about killing people and enjoying it. At least the anime didn't have her cackling maniacally willing severing people's limbs. And then there's Kouta, who stops just short of wishing death on Lucy for killing his family, then immediately after jumps in front of a bullet for her. Also, he already has another bullet wound at the time.]

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The manga also has an irritating habit of pretending to kill off characters, and then not.

I didn't find this nearly as disruptive. I found it a chilling and effective device especially because it emphasizes the fact that any character can die in this manga.

Bull. Which characters were the ones who repeatedly didn't die? The important ones. The fact that they appear to be dead and then are revealed not to be so only increases their air of invincibility. spoiler[Lucy, Nana, and Kurama] were all "killed" multiple times, and they're all still alive in chapter 104 (Although it look's like spoiler[_Lucy_] may genuinely be on the way out, as there are only a couple chapters left, and spoiler[she is dissolving into a pile of goo, but I wouldn't be surprised if she magically revived somehow]). Also, spoiler[Mayu and Kouta] have also been as good as dead at one point, but are still well and kicking.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The anime can be seen as a story about trying to find acceptance and redemption, but the manga eventually just turns into a story about monsters doing horrible things to people and killing each other.

Elfen Lied was never about acceptance and redemption. The anime tried to make it such, but failed miserably in my books.

Maybe I'm not expressing my thoughts well, but the anime makes a decent effort at being about something other than boobs and violence, which is increasingly obvious what the manga is about. The final volumes give us hordes of faceless monsters, and spoiler[the one surviving scientist is dubbed "panty girl" by her rescuers because she is running around in only a shirt and underwear (I think the lack of pants may have been a plot point, briefly).]

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also, did we really need another pedophile rapist in the story?

The story needed a villain harsher than spoiler[Bandou] to cast the latter in a heroic light (though it was shortlived, as it should be).

No it didn't. The heroism didn't come from being a step above the scum of the earth, it came from spoiler[sacrificing his life for someone else]. You don't need someone worse than you to redeem yourself from being a massive jerk.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
That's a tough one. I think it would be an evenly matched fight but I think naruto would win by hair because of his rasengan and the kyuubi with in him
Akagami Kite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
animepuppy wrote:
That's a tough one. I think it would be an evenly matched fight but I think naruto would win by hair because of his rasengan and the kyuubi with in him

The Luffy vs. Naruto topic has been done to death, especially on Naruto Forums and Luffy utterly killed Naruto in a short matter of time.

In strength, Naruto can't pull off the same feats Luffy did through out the manga. Luffy broke bedrock, pushed two buildings apart in a tight space, carried a golden ball, broke steel with his bare hands and other feats. Naruto doesn't have much strength feats to begin with. Speed is also unmatched since Luffy has been moving faster than the eye can see in battle (like standing several meters across a large room with his enemy on one side, then kicking his enemy in an instant by jumping from the other end of the room). Durability is a no brainer since Luffy took more damage from his enemy than a mere cut or kick to the gut and it wasn't even exaggeration.

Even if Naruto did use Rasengan in Kyuubi, Luffy casually goes into Gear Second and Jet Storms/Gatling/Pistol/ on him. Naruto wouldn't even be able to go into Kyuubi because Luffy would punch his head off with his casual rock busting strength. Naruto winning is pretty much out of the question.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
And after Luffy has knocked off Naruto's head, Nappa will swoop down and blow up whatever planet they happen to be standing on. Yes, not Goku, Nappa. Can Luffy breathe vacuum? We're about to find out.

The point is, there's always a bigger fish. Which means comparisons can get rather boring and pointless after awhile.

But that hasn't happened yet, so compare away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6