• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saban's U.S. Sailor Moon promo reel.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
So I guess the story goes like this: Before Dic's legendary Sailormoon, Haim Saban Entertainment (Power Rangers) wanted to do a live action version of Sailormoon, where girly-girl activities (BFFs, Shopping, Boys, etc) were the focus, and transforming and fighting evil were just to fill in the gaps. So basically, a power rangers for the girls, since that franchise was at its peak back then. More info can be found on the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B4_VCeHfjo

I've seen it before, but I just thought I'd share. Too bad the Buried Treasures/Garbage dude can't do a proper piece on it, because this would certainly be among the worst.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was pretty dick of that guy to be laughing through the whole promo reel.
That reel also ruined my whole image of the Sailormoon girls that I've had since childhood, I remember actually thinking they were pretty hot but those girls were so ugly that I couldn't bear to watch. Thank God it never went beyond a promo!
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
Wow, that was pretty dick of that guy to be laughing through the whole promo reel.

I think it would depend on the whole setting/purpose of the meeting/panel/whatever. If it was a tradeshow type of thing, yeah, laughing through the entire thing like that was kind of a dick move. But, if it's an anime convention, especially a panel that is more directed towards mockery of the video subject matter, that sort of thing isn't just expected - it's encouraged.

Anyway, that's the umpteenth time I've seen that video. It's just as hilarious and horrible as the first time I've seen it. A truly timeless piece.
Bean Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Interesting ideed, but honestly I feel shame just seeing this. Embarassed
Original japanese live action and anime always will be better. Smile
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Bean Bandit wrote:
Original japanese live action and anime always will be better. Smile

You must not have seen a lot of Japanese live action TV.

But oh man ... the wheelchair .... Laughing
Bean Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I supose that it will not be worst than Power Rangers. Cool
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
It's funny to see a thread like this... I just learned about this a week or two ago when I was researching facts for a trivia contest.

That video, though... why didn't they even use the original animation...?
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
It's funny to see a thread like this... I just learned about this a week or two ago when I was researching facts for a trivia contest.

That video, though... why didn't they even use the original animation...?

Well, they were obviously going for something fully and completely american.

Maybe none of the Japanese animated sequences fit what they wanted. I mean, Usagi-chan didn't really use that surfboard very often, did she? Mako-chan's wheelchair never spat out electricity, you know?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
If memory serves, it wasn't Saban who produced this pilot was it? I believe it was that Toon Makers place who pitched it to Toei, but for one of the few times in their history, Toei made a good decision regarding International plans, and said "No". Sadly because they thought it cost too much, rather then it being terrible.

I remember that promo that DiC made where the girls were called Victoria and stuff, ahahaha.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
If memory serves, it wasn't Saban who produced this pilot was it? I believe it was that Toon Makers place who pitched it to Toei, but for one of the few times in their history, Toei made a good decision regarding International plans, and said "No". Sadly because they thought it cost too much, rather then it being terrible.

I remember that promo that DiC made where the girls were called Victoria and stuff, ahahaha.

I remember that Promo,and they called Tuxedo mask"The masked Tuxedo" that promo was so laughable,the announcer tried to make it sound like it'll be the hit sensation since power rangers and TMNT.Anime hyper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXqoPgbH0c
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
Primus wrote:

I remember that Promo,and they called Tuxedo mask"The masked Tuxedo" that promo was so laughable,the announcer tried to make it sound like it'll be the hit sensation since power rangers and TMNT.Anime hyper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEXqoPgbH0c

Ah yes, he made it seem like it would be what DragonBall Z would be years later.

EDIT- Hahahahaaha "Blue" hahahahaha
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
urrgg...old Hilton.

That was certainly a wild and crappy promo.I laughed when the cameraman focused on the EXIT sign.Run away! Laughing I'm so damn glad we dodged that bullet.Thanks for the heads up on the vid,I'm going to go have nightmares now.

Saban Moon with Dic Dub Shocked
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, that's the first live-action remake I've actually derived entertainment from watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
That was so stupid but hilarious! I think even the Toon Maker guys thought so too! Didn't you hear them laughing nonstop? Wow. Good thing this never happened. This "Saban Moon" would have sucked.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
This video gets worse every time I see it. And we all thought that the sailor moon we ended up with was bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2