• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD 1-2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
babbo wrote:
Xanas wrote:

I think we are using the word in different manners here. I'm not referring to adjustments for acting, but adjustments to vocal quality. Not all VAs have a great deal of range and while that can restrict which characters they can play, it doesn't make them bad actors.
That's merely another part of acting.

I disagree. Someone can have good range and not be the best actor. Similarly, someone can have poor range in terms of vocal highs and lows and still have the capability of appropriately conveying emotion. They just have to do it differently than a person who does have those abilities. It doesn't make it less effective necessarily. Some could find the extreme highs and lows to be melodramatic (which I know people make the claim Zero needs to be more melodramatic, but I disagree with this).

Pfft. That's like saying that all short people have an equal chance of being pro basketball players. There are limiting factors in any kind of profession. I had a professor for a GER style in the arts class who's family had a long line of professional classical violinists. When he reached a certain age they had him hold a violin and checked the length of his fingers. They decided right there and then that he didn't have what it takes. To begin with your assumption relies on the actor in question being able to overcome such shortcomings. JYB didn't do that >.>

Quote:

Anyway, I think this whole question comes down to whether you are comfortable with dubs being a different performance from the original Japanese or whether you expect an attempt to emulate Japanese every time. I never have expected this, and so I don't get a sense of disappointment. The biggest reason I don't expect this is that I started out watching dubs (and liked them) instead of the other way around, so I don't carry the expectations here.

I've liked plenty of dubs. It has nothing to do with that in this situation. He really did botch the job. Not all people who dislike a dub are dub haters or rabid sub fanboys. It's not a question purely of emulation here either. The Japanese Seiyuu's performance just highlights the problem's with JYB's >.>

Quote:

I agree, but JYB didn't really even take the right kind of attitude for lelouche's character, especially when he goes into Zero mode. He got quiet at some points even o,o

Quote:

"The right kind of attitude" is really another matter of opinion. Sure you could say "the author of the story prefers it in japanese" or somesuch, but as we should all know by now if someone writes a book the readers are going to imagine different things about character mannerisms and tone of voice. This is not a cut and dry matter.

Readers o,o? Code Geass was an anime first and a manga second. It was also co-written by the director of the anime. It is pretty cut and dry. The dub is supposed to just re represent the anime in a different language. Word choice is one thing, but changing the character's personalities in the acting is entirely different.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

I prefer Johnny, actually. Fukuyama was good at first, but then he took way, WAAAAAY out of proportion. YONG keeps it real, though. He's a true homie.

Same here,though a lot of people dont think so cause of the VA role in Akira and in that yaoi series Mirage of Blaze,but most people tear on him cause he played as a power ranger which is really unfair.

Also guys,i like the dub versions.it's decent enough,and FYI i think Lelouch and Light are quite similar in a way. Sure Light went completely midevil at episode 1 and got even worse at epsiode 26,but what lelouch does is also kinda similar and he'll eventually do the same thing like light.

just like with light's death note,his geass and lust for revenge and path of blood like the old man said on epsiode 12 will end up making him as bad as saskue which is even far worse and far scarier than what light has done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Readers o,o? Code Geass was an anime first and a manga second. It was also co-written by the director of the anime. It is pretty cut and dry. The dub is supposed to just re represent the anime in a different language. Word choice is one thing, but changing the character's personalities in the acting is entirely different.

I'm aware of that. You'll note I said "if someone writes a book" which um.. means "a book" not "this book." It's an analogy, I'm not saying Code Geass was originally a book.

The fact remains before something goes on screen there is writing done, and before that it's in the authors imagination. But the perception of something once it's outside the authors imagination is up to all the individuals who see it. There is no absolute truth in performances. It's entirely a matter of opinion.

babbo wrote:

I've liked plenty of dubs. It has nothing to do with that in this situation. He really did botch the job. Not all people who dislike a dub are dub haters or rabid sub fanboys. It's not a question purely of emulation here either. The Japanese Seiyuu's performance just highlights the problem's with JYB's >.>

You just contradicted the "it's not a question of emulation" when you brought up the fact it wasn't a book and explained the whole deal with this meaning that it had to be like the original due to that. Regardless, I never said those who dislike this dub hate all dubs. I am saying that those who argue that JYBs performance is worse than the original because it's not like the original, are biased against JYB on the basis that they expect emulation.

babbo wrote:

Pfft. That's like saying that all short people have an equal chance of being pro basketball players. There are limiting factors in any kind of profession.

No, it's not like saying that. I could reverse your remark to state that it means that short people are incapable of being pro basketball players. They shouldn't even try, similar to your professors family. That is an unfair characterization, though not any less of one that one you just made. I never said that having a large vocal range is not a positive, but I am saying it's certainly not the prime factor in determining who is and who isn't a good actor. Range is much more important to something like singing than it is acting.

I tend to think the Japanese are always a bit high on pitch personally, and prefer the American voice tone, so once again I think this is really a matter of opinion.

I'll admit one thing here. I'm biased towards dubs because it's what I started out with. But, my bias is purely my own personal opinion just as those who started out as fansub viewers or those who watch the Japanese skews in the opposite. Even if you may like some dubs as I like some of the Japanese performances, that doesn't mean either one of us has some universally established "right opinion."
majikman7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
maaya wrote:
eventhough the series doesn't even respect international chess rules ^^;

Who cares? :< This is a parallel universe where the shift of power changed all the way back in Cesar's time...

Apparently in a society ruled by the British...erm, "Britannians"...chess uses not-very-western rules....
actually he didn't start with his king it was the middle of the game when he started play so he just moved his king first
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
As to the talk about chess, you all must remember that the timeline in Code Geass separated from our own two thousand years ago. That chess may have different rules is not surprising.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As to the talk about chess, you all must remember that the timeline in Code Geass separated from our own two thousand years ago. That chess may have different rules is not surprising.

How?I've always thought that it was similar.Also i'd still say lelouch will go midevil like light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

How?I've always thought that it was similar.

The timeline of Code Geass is set roughly around 1968 AD. No joke; when you take the year that the Ascension Throne Britannia calender was pegged to, then add 2017 years, you get a date around that time. I say around, because it is not clear as to the exact year the a.t.b. calender began. Wikipedia states that year was roughly 50 BC or so, but I've seen other estimates.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Ok.Now I'm confused. the timeline is way to complicated for me.Even after reading it on Wikipedia. At least the series is good to understand. I just hope it isn't as i feared when R2 shows on Sunday and he becomes another raging psycho like light.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Ok.Now I'm confused. the timeline is way to complicated for me.Even after reading it on Wikipedia. At least the series is good to understand. I just hope it isn't as i feared when R2 shows on Sunday and he becomes another raging psycho like light.

I'll refrain from spoiling anything but you need to remember, geass has its limits and powers making it dramatically different from a death note. Lelouch isn't going mad with power, he's had an actual injustice befall him.

Light was a genius corrupted by what was known to be evil in the hands of humans. Geass is neutral, it can be used for evil or good in a certain way.

Suffice to say, Lelouch is not going to become a raging psycho, but I can't say why. Much like with most above average series, everything becomes clear in the end and the same can be said for this show.
Fangirlalert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you completely Very Happy
I think this reviewer dealt with a great show rather harshly in this case, though I usually agree with the reviews posted on here (MoHS and Scrapped Princess especially)
Although my enthusiasm for this show did start to wane in the middle of the second season, simply because I could not understand what the hell was going on.
The first season was solid, and it was refreshing to have a cast of unusually powerful female characters (although ultimately Lelouch still called the shots).

Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
I agree, in a weird sort of way.

This series is a guilty pleasure top-to-bottom. Or should one feel guilty enjoying at all...?

FYI.......How is Lelouch less likeable than Light? =_= Lelouch has legit motives (selfish...but legit), while Light is just a psychotic serial killer with a god-like ego...
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
where does the review say that Light is more likeable than Lelouch? (Honestly can't find it)

Well, he didn't...but if you read the Death Note reviews...you can clearly see the bias tilted towards Light.

Quite frankly, Light Yagami is a complete dick. Lelouch on the other hand has quite a few traces of humanity in him.[/quote]

True enough,however in later epsiodes,he starts to act wayy to much like Light that it's almost scary.

ANd for everyone here,please stop with the thrashing of JYB's VA of Lelouch. It's kinda annoying. Sure there was questions in Eureka 7,but come on. Cause in my view the dub version sounds a lot more serious,with some humanity while the sub feels way too humane for it's character,so in my view JYB is decent enough as lelouch.On the other hand that VA who played Light may be a lot better,but may make him sound too light-like evil which may scare people,don't you think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6