• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 09-03-08

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Honestly can't say I've ever frozen up in front of a guest in an autograph line... but I've never really said anything either- it's a con, they're busy folks. I just want a signature and maybe a snapshot, then I'll be on my way and they can get back to everything else. That's kinda my take on it.
Mevious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Sheeta_Sumeragi wrote:
My mum, however, gave him a long speech about how he shouldn't listen to the weird interviewer from earlier (who asked him why he didn't make his films 'more accessable to a western audience') and should make whatever he liked. Obviously she didn't have the same problem as me Wink (And Shinkai looked really pleased afterwards!)

That was a cool thing for your mom to say.

I've never lined up for autographs - I never really cared much for them. If I did decide to get one, though, I know I would freeze up or stammer.

Nice strip as always. Hope to read more about this "Kiken Resin Angel" anime. Smile
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
LOL I was a wreck when I met Satoshi Kon.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Her goofy grin when she freezes up is priceless. Laughing
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
i did the same thing when I met Mana at AX 06.

um uh OMG self try not to freak out.
I thought i was going to have a heart attack i was so jazzed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
So true, so true. Sad thing is, most any con big enough to bring Japanese guests over will have translators on hand during panels/autograph sessions with those guests. Yet people (and elves) still want to use Japanese themselves. Which isn't a bad thing, but language anxiety + "celebrity" anxiety lead to situations like Nina's. Heck, I've even seen it happen with English-speaking guests.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
No language or nationality barriers but when I was at a past Dragon Con and met Julie Benz I was about like Nina in this comic. Nearly passed out at the woman's feet. I got my photo taken with her in spite of that I look so happy in it grinning like an idiot.

I can't even imagine what my reaction would be to certain anime VAs. While I'm extremely biased toward the English side of things, I think I'd be just as nervous (probably much more) getting to see Mamiko Noto. She's voiced so many of my favorite characters, like Ai in Hell Girl. Passing out or drooling would be equally likely if I got to meet Michelle Ruff. (Lord help me if she used her voice like when she played Cossette. I'd die of fanboy glee.)

Most of the time you can meet people in the industry and be calm but certain people, the ones you place a special level of affection on, you just can't help but get nervous. (I don't think the "our grandfathers met in mortal combat" approach would even work for me in some cases.)
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
LOLOLOLOL!!!!... oh man, that's almost how I was like when I met Hideyuki Kikuchi, the creator of Vampire Hunter D Very Happy . But I got to say to him how I loved his work, and he answered me back (in broken English) how happy he was that everyone enjoyed his stories and even shaked my hand with a thank you. Smile

So then i go back to my fiancee all excited and she says to me "Your weird". lol Wink
Spiked Vash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo, my first post here!

Anyhow, the first guest I decided to meet at a con (my fourth one, in fact, guess it took me awhile to muster up some courage) was Yasuhiro Nightow(!), creator of Trigun. No small guest, mind you. I don't know how many times I rehearsed in my mind on what I should do when I do meet him, esp. while waiting in his autograph line.

When I finally came up to him, nothing disastrous happened, surprising for me since I don't do well in job interviews. Basically, what happened was I said hi, shook his hand and thanked him for his great work, gave him a package of nori (dried seaweed, it's his favorite food from what I researched online), gave him my item for signing, took his picture, and left promptly before I do anything stupid.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
I had gotten Solid State Society special edition at AX07 and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn signned and it and I was glad I managed to get out "You ARE the Major! You make her who she is!" and she signed my DVD case and put "the Major" in quotes beneath her name... it was so wonderful!

I remember that more clearly than getting my high school diploma and walking across stage.

That's really fantastic, hon. Hahaha. And that last bit should be on some "you might be an anime fan if..." Anime hyper

I'm betting I'd be pretty darn nervous of embarrassing myself if/when I ever get the chance to meet Natsuki Takaya or Hiromu Arakawa in person, but at least with my experience with VAs they've all been so nice and approachable. They really just love their fans to death (again, at least the ones I've been lucky enough to meet).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper And I'd probably be like that if I ever met Masashi Kishimoto, just I would try my best to keep myself from screaming like crazy as I hand him my book to sign. >.>

I actually had to keep myself from screaming like crazy when I was in the line for all of the FMA voice actors at A-Cen 2008...at least until I was out of the line with my DVD signed. Needless to say I became one of the loudest fangirls there afterward. Anime hyper

But great strip this week Robin. ^^ Keep it up!
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
As always, very entertaining.

Doubly so if, like me, you've worked in guest relations for yonks and have pretty much got used to the idea that you are chatting about beer with one of your idols. I got a bit of that with Kappei Yamaguchi this year, since Ranma 1/2 and Meitante Conan were pretty much the series that pushed me fully into anime fandom, and he figured prominently in both.

When we had Yoshiki, he was kind enough to hang with our staff at the Dead Dog, and one of our senior staffers was practically hyperventilating because he's that big a deal to her. So of course we dragged her over and introduced her, and he was lovely, and she was MUCH better after that.

Because after all, these are just people who are lucky enough to be good at, and make a living at, something they love. They're talented, they're lucky, and ....well, basically that's it. They're not gods, and they generally don't want the hero-worship or cultish following.

If you're lucky, they are delighted and humbled to hear how much you love their work, and occasionally they're quite proud of the fact that what they've done has had a positive impact on so many people. (George Takei and Nichelle Nichols of Star Trek are well aware of the lasting impact of their roles, and both were delightful and patient with their fans. Yes I'm a multi-purpose geek.)

As for the autographs, Wil Wheaton shared a piece of advice one of the vets gave him: it's never really about the autograph itself -- it's about the moment of human contact, however brief.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
I was more nervous getting my first VA autographs in 2004 than I was when I got my wisdom teeth removed a week later.

But since then I've been pretty calm about it, and have had a few good conversations and gotten a few great pics.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
I've never met anyone I idolized before, sadly (although I've met many local celebrities before), but I'll probably be like that when I do Anime hyper

Love the expression on Nina's face in the second to last panel. So cute Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Poor Nina, she just went to LaLa Land... good comic
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3