• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Section23 Films March 2012 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies

Here are some screenshot comparisons (VLC) from the ADV Films release (by me) versus the Sentai Filmworks release (by a reviewer from a different site). It was pretty hard to match up the exact scene, but people should be able to get the gist of the comparisons.

And for those who don't know already, the Sentai Filmworks release only have trailers as extras. The ADV Films release (2-Discs) had the following extras:

Disc #1:
  • Storyboards
  • ADV Previews

Disc #2:
  • Interview with Roger Ebert
  • Creative Team Extras: Interviews with Isao Takahata, Author Akiyuki Nosaka's Bio, Director Isao Takahata's Bio, Japanese Release Promo
  • Production Extras: DVNR Featurette, Locations Then and Now, Bonus Storyboards, U.S. Trailer, Japanese Trailer
  • Historical Perspective
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
I just got this but haven't had time to watch it. But, wow it looks like they actually did a decent job remastering it. I wasn't expecting that. I sure would have liked some of those extras though, especially the interviews. <sigh>
lem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
of the previous region 1 dvd releases (at least the three I have from CPM and the one from ADV), this latest offering definitely has the highest pic quality. Far and away the best. In certain scenes, the difference is literally night and day. As is the difference in Extras that have been included. Trailers as an "Extras" feature for this movie? yeah. ok Sentai. For whatever reason, or set of circumstances that led to their exclusion, licensing? intellectual property rights? or? there aren't any to be found. Which is fine, I already have them, but what about the newer fans Sentai? just have 'em look for an OOP of the others? oh well. at least the movie looks the best it has ever looked on a dvd.

view from the 2 disc CPM Collector's Series release

and the same scene from Sentai's latest
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
well that changes my mind completely and I should get the Sentai version in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Grave of the Fireflies

Here are some screenshot comparisons (VLC) from the ADV Films release (by me) versus the Sentai Filmworks release (by a reviewer from a different site). It was pretty hard to match up the exact scene, but people should be able to get the gist of the comparisons.

And for those who don't know already, the Sentai Filmworks release only have trailers as extras. The ADV Films release (2-Discs) had the following extras:

Disc #1:
  • Storyboards
  • ADV Previews

Disc #2:
  • Interview with Roger Ebert
  • Creative Team Extras: Interviews with Isao Takahata, Author Akiyuki Nosaka's Bio, Director Isao Takahata's Bio, Japanese Release Promo
  • Production Extras: DVNR Featurette, Locations Then and Now, Bonus Storyboards, U.S. Trailer, Japanese Trailer
  • Historical Perspective

I was able to locate the CPM (Collector's Series) release and add the screenshots. As expected, no differences from what I can see between the CPM and ADV releases.

And here are additional screenshots (not by me) from the Sentai Filmworks release: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies in years, and the Sentai release does look good, but I think I'm gonna hold off until the japanese BD comes out. That movie's definitely something worth waiting for, though, so it's all good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2