• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I, Robot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
And this comes from someone who disagrees about Erin's views on Black Jack.

I love the Black Jack manga, but not the recent anime adaptation.
And that is where we have to respectively disagree given the manor in which streamed shows are reviewed (A simple yes/no as opposed to Yes/Maybe/No) and leave it at that, never to be resolved. And that is glorious.

But I've been there with reviews and it is not fun when some hangnail of a twit goes "Q_Q THIS SHOW IS A [number]! WHY DID YOU GIVE IT A [lower number]?!" I've been fired (If one could call it as such, I was paid in keeping the screener) from a reviewing gig for not bowing down to a given idiot's will about how the Disgaea anime was apparently good (It's really not IMHO.

I've honestly been thinking of dumping number/letters altogether and going "Yes/Maybe/No" with things I really want people to see / not see getting noted awards of as much.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to simply state that Erin Finnegan is completely and entirely dead wrong about Casshern Sins, that being said she is entitled to her opinion.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
As per eyeresist's comments on Hetalia, my husband has provided a handy list of France's many retreats...

It should be mentioned that since the Middle Ages France has been one of the dominant or the dominant political and military power in Europe. It is possible that it has spent more years in war than in peace. Because of that the history of France is filled with both great victories and terrible defeats.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
A couple other people have pointed this out, the France thing predates the Iraq war. My friends (and perhaps relatives?) always joked around about France surrendering when I was growing up. I'm not saying that's a historically informed thing to do, but I think it's a widely held stereotype/joke that many Americans have (or do?).

OK, so it's an American thing. Still seems a bit weird to me. Your hubbie's examples are of emphatic military defeats, not of inability to fight or overwillingness to retreat (with perhaps complicated exception of WWII).

erinfinnegan wrote:
Could you give a few examples of famous battles or wars where Italians surrendered? I'm sure Hidekaz Himaruya can just name them off the top of his head, but I sure can't... What gave them this reputation?

From a quick skim of the internet, it seems I may have historically pre-empted Italy's reputation, which may in fact mainly derive from their North African defeats in WWII. I recall from my history classes (20 years ago!) that the Italians felt WWI was a national humiliation, as they suffered heavy losses and didn't get the territorial gains they expected. They basically felt like they had lost the victory (they fought with the Allies), and this prepared the way for the rise of Fascism in the 1920s, which in turn led to their embarrassing African campaigns of the 30s, and their defeat in WWII - cue "wah wah wah" from orchestra (BTW, after Italy was defeated in WWII they fought with the Allies to get the Germans out of Italy).
http://www.wzaponline.com/ItalianArmyArticle.pdf

I can't find any articles dealing specifically with Italy's military reputation, but consensus seems to be that Italian troops were always badly equipped, and, as a matter of national character, not really interested in fighting (food, family, fornication and Ferraris are the f's they much prefer, and what's wrong with that?).

P.S. I already mentioned the jokes about Italian tanks. Just found another joke which made me laugh:
Why does the new Italian navy have glass bottomed boats? So they can see the old Italian navy.
amagee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
A couple other people have pointed this out, the France thing predates the Iraq war. My friends (and perhaps relatives?) always joked around about France surrendering when I was growing up. I'm not saying that's a historically informed thing to do, but I think it's a widely held stereotype/joke that many Americans have (or do?).

OK, so it's an American thing. Still seems a bit weird to me. Your hubbie's examples are of emphatic military defeats, not of inability to fight or overwillingness to retreat (with perhaps complicated exception of WWII).

Having just returned from a year abroad in Britain with two German roommates, I can assure you that Brits, Germans, and Austrians also make fun of the French for surrendering a bunch and generally being wimpy.

On a note actually related to the column (albeit crazy late in internet forum time to post), while I liked Casshern Sins a lot, I can see why someone wouldn't like it.

However, I'd be curious what Erin and other people thought about the combat choreography of the show. I always felt the raw brutality of the manner by which Casshern simply tears robots into pieces had an eerie sort of smooth flowing grace to it. Given the setting and ambiance of the series, I think those fighting scenes really lended themselves superbly to the intended meaning of the individual episodes and the callous world they detail. I'd be curious about other opinions on this regardless of if you liked it or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5