• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Do the Bathroom Dance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
It takes a degree of forced sanity for me to even touch the doorknobs.

I just use the bottom of my shirt, or the sleeve if it's long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I've never found too much of a problem with restrooms not stocking TP and soap. Even with soap, it can't be more than a 20 second process to wash your hands vigorously with just running water.

If it's never been a problem for you, then please stay away from DC Metro area High School bathrooms. You may die of cultural shock. =/

Don't highlight the following if you're weak of heart, or have a light stomach. =/

spoiler[Ever heard of no toilet seat/ no toilet paper / no toilet paper despenser / no stall door / no cold water in the sink / no soap / people not flushing toilet / people stuffing news papers and magazines in toilet, clogging it / people stuff the ONLY toilet paper roll in the toilet, clogging it / bathroom smells like someone was smoking crack 5 min ago / smoke dector covered with doritios bag / urine on all the seats / urine on the floor?] All at once?

I offically hate High School Bathrooms. Elementry school bathrooms. They're PERFECTLY clean. Why are kids SO much more respectful than older teen/adults with the bathrooms? I'll never know.

On a side note, with that bathroom dance, is that the same tune as "C'est la vie" by Ace of Base?

SakechanBD wrote:
...we won't even go into the problem of people (women, especially) leaving urine on the toilet seats.

Is that even possible?!?! =/

Nagisa wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
It takes a degree of forced sanity for me to even touch the doorknobs.

I just use the bottom of my shirt, or the sleeve if it's long.

Then you have a tainted shirt. Sorry. I feel that way. =P

I usually use a paper towel to open/close the door if it's that bad.

If I ever see a crack smoker smoking in the stalls, I'm gonna shoot him/her in the crotch. And I shall not regret it.

Same applies to any of the other things I listed. =/

Man. I hate high school sometimes. -_-;
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:03 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Very Happy That's why it was part of the Bathroom Dance. There is definitely a problem with people not bothering to push the damned lever, and then walking out without bothering to wash their hands. It takes a degree of forced sanity for me to even touch the doorknobs. We won't even go into the problem of people (women, especially) leaving urine on the toilet seats.

Might I suggest carring a handkerchief? At least then going in, you won't have to touch your bare hands to knobs. I've made it a common practice to use the paper towels I use to dry my hands to open the door when leaving the bathroom, since I can't even begin to imagine just how germ infested the knobs are when leaving the bathroom from those who couldn't "bother" to wash their hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay guys, there's one thing about modern society I don't get.

You walk around all day, shaking people's hands, opening doors and holding staircase (and escalator) hand rails, all the while picking up various germs.

You go to the bathroom, whip it out, do your stuff, shake it a bit and then you wash your hands?
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Okay guys, there's one thing about modern society I don't get.

You walk around all day, shaking people's hands, opening doors and holding staircase (and escalator) hand rails, all the while picking up various germs.

You go to the bathroom, whip it out, do your stuff, shake it a bit and then you wash your hands?

Too.... graphic... with the bathroom part.... ><

I guess it's human nature to think there's nothing more gross than.... well.... the waste. At the point you've come in contact with the nastiest thing imaginible (waste), you wash your hands.

Now why we don't do it after every germ? Well, if we were more concious of what we were touching and what germs we were picking up, we would probably waste the world's soap supply in a few days. =/

I'm a hygene freak, or so I was once told by a roommate. =P

On a side note, I was brought up that it's typically good hygene to not only wash your hands when going to the bathroom, but also before eating. Otherwise, that finger food can be mean. ><
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Heh... I have a biology degree, and took classes in parasitology, microbiology, and pathology in preparation for med-school.

I wash my hands every chance I get, but I most certainly wash them before I eat and afer I wash my hands. I like bathroom doors that open outwards best, because I don't have to touch them at all....

Yeah, it sounds a bit paranoid... but trust me, once you've seen what poor hygiene can do to your body... you'll do the same.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:02 am Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
I guess it's human nature to think there's nothing more gross than.... well.... the waste. At the point you've come in contact with the nastiest thing imaginible (waste), you wash your hands.

You missed the point. By washing your hands only after you go to the bathroom you successfully smear everyone elses germs all over your privates.

I was my hands before going to the bathroom.

Of course, you'd hope I was them after too... Smile
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:45 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

You missed the point. By washing your hands only after you go to the bathroom you successfully smear everyone elses germs all over your privates.

I was my hands before going to the bathroom.

Of course, you'd hope I was them after too... Smile

Luckily, girls don't have to deal with that. But there's nothing more depressing than sitting down on a toilet seat and realizing that some godawfully dirty girl has made the seat wet. I'm sure everyone knows enough about the female anatomy to know that this is *very hard to do*. I don't know how they do it.

Gross stuff: spoiler[Though it is wickedly nasty when girls don't flush or wash their hands after they deal with "feminine issues." Urine is gross, but ...that stuff? *shudders* ]

I am pretty paranoid about washing my hands before I eat though. Touching all those doorknobs and stuff, and then eating with your hands? I was never really a clean freak until I came to college. So many people, and 95% of them oblivious to hygiene. It makes one go crazy.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:31 am Reply with quote
It's funny... talk to most of the people I know, and they will tell you I'm a slob. But damn if I'm not fastidious about washing my hands, especially after using the facilities. I mean, you wanna walk around with your hands smelling like human waste? There's something very wrong with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
I wash my hands after I use the bathroom. I also do it after I clean the catbox.

Not touching doorknobs and obsessing over germs on your hands is called 'paranoia', and if it gets bad enough, 'obsessive compulsive disorder'. How many of you in here have ever been sick or ever actually suffered any negative side effects because you didn't wash your hands before you ate or ate something that fell on the floor for a split second? The odds are, never. Aside from the fact that it's a slippery slope. If you're so obsessed with washing your hands, do you also break out a new towel every time you need to dry your hands? Think about it; if you use the same cloth towel twice, you're just wiping old bacteria all over your 'clean' hands. If you use paper towels, you usually have to touch the handle of the dispenser to get them out. OMG GROSS THATS LIKE TOUCHING A DOORKNOB!

People seem to have to portray themselves as being SUPER CLEAN or they'll be painted as slobs because they don't walk around in a plastic bubble and refuse to come in contact with something another human being touched. I shower every day and wash my hands after using the bathroom. Anything more seems to be excessive for excessiveness' sake. I have yet to get sick or die from my practices.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
It takes a degree of forced sanity for me to even touch the doorknobs. We won't even go into the problem of people (women, especially) leaving urine on the toilet seats.

I either use my foot or if I have to pull the door open then I use my sleeve...and I always use my foot to push the lever on the toliet...I'm neurotic about it...its sad

and thank goodness for automatic everything Smile I am especially a fan of the automatic paper towel dispenser Wink
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
How many of you in here have ever been sick or ever actually suffered any negative side effects because you didn't wash your hands before you ate or ate something that fell on the floor for a split second? The odds are, never.

Last year, everyone person in this gamer hall got Norwalk. Norwalk is the disease that the cruise-lines were having a problem with last year. It's passed through human feces, and you get it by ingesting something that touched human feces.

Needless to say, since so many people in this hall eat before washing their hands, after touching all those tainted doorknobs, they all got Norwalk and had to be hospitalized.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Zac wrote:
How many of you in here have ever been sick or ever actually suffered any negative side effects because you didn't wash your hands before you ate or ate something that fell on the floor for a split second? The odds are, never.

Last year, everyone person in this gamer hall got Norwalk. Norwalk is the disease that the cruise-lines were having a problem with last year. It's passed through human feces, and you get it by ingesting something that touched human feces.

Needless to say, since so many people in this hall eat before washing their hands, after touching all those tainted doorknobs, they all got Norwalk and had to be hospitalized.

=/

Yeah. I heard about that one. Stuff like this depends on the conditions of the places that you go around. I have eaten a piece of food off the ground everyonce in a while, but that's mainly because I hate to waste stuff.

Better safe than sorry. Such a true statement.

I've found that if there's ever a can of lysol or any disinfectant handy where you go, then it can really be useful. =P
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Being afraid to touch a doorknob is taking it too far. Yeah hygiene is important but its also important not to obsess over it. Children get covered in muck everyday and they remain healthy, it builds up their tolerance to illness. Its better not to think to hard about all of the nasty bacteria you pick up through out the day. Heck if I thought to much about it I know I wouldn't have the stomach to ever eat at a fast food joint.

Also although I always wash my hands after using the toilet I very rarely wash my hands before eating. Say your out and you decide to pick up a bag of crisps (chips in the US), your not realistically going to search for a public toilet before you eat them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3