• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2012 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
amagee wrote:

The fact that Madoka was an artsy, darker take on a typically stupid genre (I'm not a magical girl fan on almost every other occasion) would make me separate it from typical "otaku aimed" fair. I would see it as rather a kind of physical manifestation of a commentary on how these typically inane shows can really have depth, proper emotional impact, and impeccable art when well thought out and carefully produced.

The problem here is that you are assuming all otaku anime is instantly bad. Just because its aimed at otaku first and foremost doesn't mean that its bad... there is both bad and good otaku anime. Just like there is both good and bad anime aimed at the mainstream audience.

But when it comes down to it, Madoka was aimed at the otaku audience. Its got cute underage magical girls, all kinds of merchandise like body pillows and beach figurines, and there is nothing made this year that has had more doujins. Otaku stuff is the only kind of anime that can sell as many copies as Madoka did as well, since the more casual fans aren't willing to dish out 80 dollars for 2 episodes.

I certainly don't believe otaku anime are inherently big, stinky piles of animated funk. I watch anime like Evangelion, K-ON!, Ghost in the Shell, and Gundam (my interest in this last one distinctly places me on a "Gundam otaku" level) which I've seen major authorities in the market call "otaku fair".

As I said in the bit you quoted, I would say that the carefully handled production and well crafted story of Madoka separates it from other magical girl otaku stuff. While Madoka can hold its own against the best anime I've seen from other genres, I can't help but admit that stuff like merchandise and doujins might be overrun with otaku interests.

I mean, I purchased the "Production Note" book set for this series because I enjoyed the artistry displayed in the show. This is clearly less creepy to me than stuff like body pillows and questionably well proportioned figurines but most would say this simply makes me an "art otaku".

Distinguishing between the production itself and the overall franchise is key here for me. It's my thought that if the anime is so good that anyone, fan or not can watch the original program and enjoy (or at the very least respect) it, it allows itself to shake off the commonly assigned moniker of "otaku fair" and all the negative baggage which comes with that. Doing so on a franchise-wide level, however, is a totally different story.

I've noticed that this conversation has gotten a little out of control on a totally unrelated thread. I'm going to cut and paste all the stuff related to this discussion and place it on a thread I'll call "Madoka: Otaku" in the general anime section if any of you are interested in more discussion. I hate to be that guy who jacks a thread. Crying or Very sad
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Actually, it totally is. Any fujoshi anime has many more DVD sales (for whatever reason, women in Japan aren't into BDs), and Natsume is very DVD heavy with its sales. Thats the #1 way to see which gender something is aimed at.

Male Otaku stuff (like Madoka and Infinite Stratos) is typically like 80-90% BD while Natsumes 3rd season was 40-50% BD

Sorry but that's got to be one of the weakest explanations I've heard.

RyanSaotome wrote:
The problem here is that you are assuming all otaku anime is instantly bad. Just because its aimed at otaku first and foremost doesn't mean that its bad...

The problem here is that you are assuming all girls are fujoshi. Just because it's aimed at females first and foremost doesn't mean that it's for fujoshi.

Ya, see how your reasoning doesn't work?

Natsume runs in LaLa, which is a shoujo manga magazine, so of course it's going to have a larger female fan base. Being aimed at a female audience does not mean it's aimed at fujoshi.

And just to prove my point again, you're basing your judgment on numbers rather than the series content. I would suggest you actually watch the series before making any assumptions.

FYI, I bought the series on BD. (And if the username confuses you, I am a girl.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Being aimed at a female audience does not mean it's aimed at fujoshi.

Alright, I'm not RyanSaotome, but I'm pretty sure we share a similar viewpoint on this. And considering how many times someone has replied to me: 'X is not a fujoshi show' I figure it's about time I explain my personal viewpoint on the matter and.

When I say that 'X is aimed at Y', I am referring to sales. Home video and merchandise for the most point. I am not referring to the people who watch it on Crunchyroll or anything like that. Only those who the show is targeting to buy the DVD/BDs.

Also know that 'fujoshi' doesn't equate to BL anymore. It has now become basically just a 'female otaku'. Someone can be a fujoshi and not be into BL whatsoever. So when I say that Natsume Yuujinchou is a show aimed at fujoshi, I am not strictly saying it is only for BL fanatics, as fujoshi years ago referred to that particular crowd.

That said, if you look at the people who buy the DVD/BDs of Natsume Yuujinchou, I guarantee you that the majority are fujoshi. Buying anime in Japan isn't a (somewhat) minor thing like it is here. To get all of the Natsume singles for the (so far) 3 seasons would cost around 90,000 yen. That is not a purchase that someone who is only a minor fan would go for. The masses will go for the manga and the fujoshi get the anime. That's how it goes.

So while anybody can enjoy Natsume Yuujinchou, I do say it is a fujoshi show. In the same vain that anybody can enjoy K-ON, but it is undoubtedly an otaku show.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Also know that 'fujoshi' doesn't equate to BL anymore. It has now become basically just a 'female otaku'. Someone can be a fujoshi and not be into BL whatsoever. So when I say that Natsume Yuujinchou is a show aimed at fujoshi, I am not strictly saying it is only for BL fanatics, as fujoshi years ago referred to that particular crowd.

Since when does "fujoshi" mean "female otaku"? I know Japanese and am living in Japan. Never once have I ever heard "fujoshi" used to refer to a "female otaku." A girl who's really into anime is called an "otaku." The word "otaku" doesn't dictate a specific gender.

That said, Natsume is a shoujo manga and is therefore aimed at females. I don't see the need to classify it any further than that.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
When I say that 'X is aimed at Y', I am referring to sales.

Then maybe just say "X is popular with Y / X gets most of its sales from Y". Because "aimed at" means something different, and therefore people will always understand it differently. ^^
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
When I say that 'X is aimed at Y', I am referring to sales.

Then maybe just say "X is popular with Y / X gets most of its sales from Y". Because "aimed at" means something different, and therefore people will always understand it differently. ^^

Anime on TV are generally just commercials for the DVD/BD release. They aim it at the people who will buy it, not the people who watch. And the people who are buying it are the fujoshi.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Anime on TV are generally just commercials for the DVD/BD release. They aim it at the people who will buy it, not the people who watch. And the people who are buying it are the fujoshi.

So are you using "fujoshi" with the "BL fan" meaning, or Megiddo's "female otaku" meaning?

If you're using it in the BL fan meaning, then I go back to my, "The problem here is that you are assuming all girls are fujoshi. Just because it's aimed at females first and foremost doesn't mean that it's for fujoshi" statement.

If you are using Megiddo's meaning, then I go back to saying that the word "fujoshi" does not mean "female otaku."

In the end, neither are correct. As I've been saying, it's a shoujo manga so the main target audience is females. Female =/= fujoshi.

Anyway, bed time for me.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Fujoshi means female otaku. It may have meant BL in the past, but now it is generally used to mean female otaku.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Since when does "fujoshi" mean "female otaku"? I know Japanese and am living in Japan. Never once have I ever heard "fujoshi" used to refer to a "female otaku." A girl who's really into anime is called an "otaku." The word "otaku" doesn't dictate a specific gender.

Yeah, but this is an American based site. The english fandom has changed the meanings of words like otaku, fujoshi, and moe to suit their needs even if it's not the original meaning of the word. 'Fujoshi' is simply easier to say than 'female otaku.'
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know "fujoshi" indeed means "female otaku" in the West. However "female otaku" is very often equated with "BL fan", that's the thing. And no, Tiger and Bunny wasn't aimed (A superhero buddy show aimed at females?) at them though they were kept in mind like in many other Sunrise shows, Gundam included.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Yeah, but this is an American based site. The english fandom has changed the meanings of words like otaku, fujoshi, and moe to suit their needs even if it's not the original meaning of the word. 'Fujoshi' is simply easier to say than 'female otaku.'

While we in the west have definitely changed the meaning of words, it's actually Japan that changed it this time. If you watch Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish, Tsukimi refers to both herself and the people in her apartments as fujoshi. This is despite the fact that only one (who we never see) is an actual BL fan. The others have interest ranging from jellyfish, to dolls, to trains, to the Romance of the Twelve Kingdoms, to older men. Yet all of them were referred to as fujoshi by Tsukimi.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:

I certainly don't believe otaku anime are inherently big, stinky piles of animated funk. I watch anime like Evangelion, K-ON!, Ghost in the Shell, and Gundam (my interest in this last one distinctly places me on a "Gundam otaku" level) which I've seen major authorities in the market call "otaku fair".

As I said in the bit you quoted, I would say that the carefully handled production and well crafted story of Madoka separates it from other magical girl otaku stuff. While Madoka can hold its own against the best anime I've seen from other genres, I can't help but admit that stuff like merchandise and doujins might be overrun with otaku interests.

I mean, I purchased the "Production Note" book set for this series because I enjoyed the artistry displayed in the show. This is clearly less creepy to me than stuff like body pillows and questionably well proportioned figurines but most would say this simply makes me an "art otaku".

Distinguishing between the production itself and the overall franchise is key here for me. It's my thought that if the anime is so good that anyone, fan or not can watch the original program and enjoy (or at the very least respect) it, it allows itself to shake off the commonly assigned moniker of "otaku fair" and all the negative baggage which comes with that. Doing so on a franchise-wide level, however, is a totally different story.

I've noticed that this conversation has gotten a little out of control on a totally unrelated thread. I'm going to cut and paste all the stuff related to this discussion and place it on a thread I'll call "Madoka: Otaku" in the general anime section if any of you are interested in more discussion. I hate to be that guy who jacks a thread. Crying or Very sad

An Otaku trash talk about other otaku is sad. very sad. you are not a cooler or better otaku just because you like different kind of shows.
Konopan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I love how the spotlight series are mostly the least interesting series of the upcoming months, and how fourth seasons of series and lame LN adaptations are getting attention over original anime or even sequels to bank-breakers.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Fujoshi means female otaku. It may have meant BL in the past, but now it is generally used to mean female otaku.

That's basically it even in Japan. Some random searching for example:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16241145
- girl uploads video of herself (one of many) playing SFIV -- notice 腐女子 (fujoshi)

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16437129
- girl's own video of her room - she has BL stuff but lots of other otaku stuff, like figures, male and female, mecha, ero-female posters and body pillows of female characters, etc notice again the 腐女子 (fujoshi) tag, despite being clearly a "female otaku" (i.e. interesting in everything, not just BL)

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15311718
- girl karaoke, Tiger & Bunny; could've been labeled "fan" or even otaku, but nope, again fujoshi

Notice how none of those videos have girls referring to themselves or labeled as オタク (otaku)! I think you'll find this true in general talking to people as well (unless it is clarified/elaborated). Otaku has a strong male connotation and the fujoshi label most definitely includes more than just BL interests
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well this is definitely the first time I've ever heard fujoshi used in such a meaning. Just confirmed with some Japanese friends (who like bl) that a fujoshi is someone who likes bl. (FYI, I happen to like bl-- but it is not the reason why I like Natsume and I have 0 interest in Natsume bl.)

I still find it odd that English speakers would just go and change the meaning of a word. It's very egotistical imo.

ANYWAY! Still I don't find the need to classify Natsume as aiming towards female otaku. It's just aimed at females. The manga is a shoujo manga and the anime is a very close adaptation of the manga.

Going back a little...

Megiddo wrote:
That said, if you look at the people who buy the DVD/BDs of Natsume Yuujinchou, I guarantee you that the majority are fujoshi. Buying anime in Japan isn't a (somewhat) minor thing like it is here. To get all of the Natsume singles for the (so far) 3 seasons would cost around 90,000 yen. That is not a purchase that someone who is only a minor fan would go for. The masses will go for the manga and the fujoshi get the anime. That's how it goes.

I would say this basically applies to all anime then because a casual viewer most likely would not buy an entire series. Also, this basically says the DVD/BD releases are aimed at female otaku.

I still say the series (manga and anime) is aimed at females and don't feel any necessity to break it down any further by adding on the word "otaku."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16