• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Peek At Chu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
penguin: What Charredknight said. As for Turn A, they could always give it a dub if the sub sells well enough for them.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
In addition, I sort of found it funny how Jerry still thinks singles are a good idea, and how he's confused about how complete collections work. I mean, it's obvious that his mentality as far as how to sell anime goes is still stuck in 2005.

No, Jerry seemed to understand completely how this stuff works. Like he said, singles are the way to make money easier, since collections require you to sell more on average. He just felt that there are shows that are so niche that even being released in collections won't increase sales enough to make it worth it. His thoughts about super-value releases like S.A.V.E. also makes sense because a company like FUNi has to sell even more to make releases like those seem worth it, and if a show is really that niche then even a super-value price point won't make too much of a difference. Being super-cheap doesn't mean much if the show still isn't getting people's attention.

Lance & Adam pretty much admitted that S.A.V.E. is effectively just a last-chance release for shows that they're not going to renew the licences to, though, i.e. they don't exactly care about making money on them quite as much as they do on a new release or an Anime Classics release. If they do make money on a S.A.V.E. release so be it, but if they don't it's probably a small loss in the end.

If there's one thing that's annoying about anime fandom over here, it's that many think that a little knowledge let's them know more than they probably do in actuality. It's never really a simple "This idea 'works', this idea doesn't" sort of thing, yet that seems to be the general thought process that goes around. If collections were truly the save-all release method that every always makes them out to be, then you wouldn't see companies like Bandai and Media Blasters hesitant to do immediate collection releases and instead still do singles, though the episode counts are now in the 6-7 episode range instead of the old 3-5 range. Yeah, I love seeing collections too, but from a business standpoint they aren't quite the magical savior of the industry that everyone loves to act like they are.

The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
Nozomi/Right Stuf only handle a few releases per year and usually a sizable chunk of those are re-releases, but no one accuses them of being unprofitable or struggling

This is why no one thinks Righstuf is struggling.

Well, to be fair, having an online store didn't help AnimeNation when it came to their anime licensing side of things, AN Entertainment. RightStuf, though, is super-careful about their licenses and either goes for re-releases that are nice and cheap or they go all-out and give their releases great physical production value, not to mention that they never dub their brand-new licenses, outside of The Third, which also saves them money.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
... His thoughts about super-value releases like S.A.V.E. also makes sense because a company like FUNi has to sell even more to make releases like those seem worth it, ...

Lance & Adam pretty much admitted that S.A.V.E. is effectively just a last-chance release for shows that they're not going to renew the licences to, though, i.e. they don't exactly care about making money on them ...

This has got the economics of the S.A.V.E. releases confused ~ which Jerry's answer seem to have done as well ~ precisely because it ignores the point of a "super-value" release when a series coming near the end of its license term is not going to have its license renewed.

Jerry's discussion did not distinguish that the "super budget" releases were re-releases under existing licenses, not initial releases and not license renewals.

The choice there is between release or don't release: nothing at that point can change the money spent on the original mastering, subtitle translation, dubbing costs, or license contract costs and any Minimum Guarantee in the license that may not yet have been made. Since they don't seem to do much remastering for the S.A.V.E. editions, the mastering is mostly a sunk cost at that point.

Given how low the incremental fixed costs of the S.A.V.E. releases are, the same margin over production costs that would mean a loss on the initial release can easily represent net revenue for the S.A.V.E. release, and either increase the profit on a proftable license, cut the loss on a losing license, or push a modestly losing license into profit.

You'd not license a series in order to sell at the S.A.V.E. price. That's what Jerry seems to say, but its a bit misleading for the S.A.V.E. releases as such, since as Lance and Adam have described it, they don't license in order to sell at the S.A.V.E. price ... they license because they think the title will make money, and the S.A.V.E. release is just wringing the last bit of net revenue out of the rights that are going to be lapsing.
jerry_vo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Next time Jerry's on, take a shot of whiskey every time he says "at the end of the day".

way to go interwebs, now i'm feeling even more self conscious about this podcast. my wife discovered it earlier this week and decided to adopt "at the end of the day"...everyday.

lucky i didn't bust out my entire repertoire of cliched marketing speaks.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Must... search for... Planetes Easter egg...

I've checked my disks and Googled and Bing'd it, and come up dry; has anybody else found it? I'd kinda like to see this.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Of course my really big question I want to ask Jerry now is: Does he still remember Kong or Jason?

*UCI Anime Club member alumni.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
jerry_vo: So what's your Twitter?
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
I actually listened to this when it was first posted to the site, but this is the first chance I've had to sit down and post a comment.

Jerry, please don't feel so self-conscious about the podcast. I thought you did a great job. For me, this podcast was a great history lesson that covered some of the years where I hadn't been following anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3