• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does Japanese music sound like?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
From what few anime OSTs I have, a lot of them seem to be influenced by Western styles of music: .hack//SIGN, Cowboy Bebop, Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly/FLCL, Noir, Trigun, and (Vision of) Escaflowne.

Are there any anime titles out there that have Eastern influenced music.

For the most part, I'm not even sure how to identify Eastern music. I have some Dragon Ball/Z, Inu-Yasha, Rurouni Kenshin, and Tenchu (not anime, but related, in that the composer also did Kenshin.) Do any of these count?

If anyone can help me out a little, I would appreciate it greatly, thanks! Smile
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
I think Inu-Yasha counts, but then again my tradional Japanese music that I've listened to has been rather limited. I've only been able to pick up a couple generic cds from "music around the world" cd series. When I think Japanese music, I think stuff with koto, Shamisen, drums, ect.

Kenshin, well, I can't remember the OVA music in detail, but the tv series from what I've heard has a ton of western style guitar stuff that I wouldn't count.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think Naruto is an excellent example of music that combines modern stylings with Eastern music.

Last edited by lianncoop on Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Kenshin, well, I can't remember the OVA music in detail, but the tv series from what I've heard has a ton of western style guitar stuff that I wouldn't count.

Yeah. Noriyuki Asakura arranges some really good acoustic guitar, in my opinion (sounds kind of European at times.) I love it though! Anime cry

As for Tsuioku-hen, I think I remember a lot of Western insturments. Similar to what you'd hear in orchestras and stuff. But I'm not a music major, so I'm not very sure if that statement is correct.

The reason I'm asking is because I recently enrolled in a music class at summer school. It's only a 5 week class, but I think it has the potential to be really fun.

We have a lot of music and non-music major students in there. Today, we started a little bit on Jazz, and I just happened to have Cowboy Bebop #1 in my backpack.

My teacher says she likes jazz, but I don't think she's heard Bebop. She thanked me for letting her borrow it, and she even said she might play it in class after giving it a listen tonight.

But the thing about the class overall is that the units consist mostly of Western music studies (and even some African drumming,) but I think the farthest East we'll go is India.

Just wondering though. Thanks! Wink
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm.... Ai Yori Aoshi has a number of tracks that have some Eastern style influences.

The best things I can think of are to look for soundtracks that rely more heavily on the Koto and the shakuhachi (basically a bamboo flute) Since they are tradtionally muscial instruments used in the East, I'd say that music composed using them will have eastern influences in mind. I'm not an expert in this field however, and I suspect you will probably get better answers than I can offer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:10 am Reply with quote
I think Tsuioku-hen was a mixture of Western and Eastern styles but IMO in retained the Eastern feel. I could indeed invision myself hearing such music a good 110 years ago in Kyoto.

In any case, if you are looking for some japanese music, I would suggest Tsuioku-hen and Seisouhen, Ai Yori Aoshi's soundtrack, and perhaps a bit of the Furi Kuri Soudntrack.

None of it is truly traditional japanese but it all good music when you break it all down. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Hee, and if you want to totally confuse the people in your class, try Inugami-dan Circus Anime hyper Or you could try some enka, lol, although I don't think I've ever listened to any... the ending theme to Ayatsuri Sakon is a pretty traditional feel as well... okay yeah, i'm pretty ignorant on this, I'll shut up -_-
gnollman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Arjuna is eastern influenced..... but for good Japanese stuff, you should listen to Samurai Spirits game soundtracks....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1