• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where to find downloadable anime music scores?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celestial Aegis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well,I've read that forum on places to find free online music and i must say it was really what i was looking for. Very Happy And now that i've got my hands itchy, i hope that anyone here could share some sites which provide free anime music scores.thanks!!! Razz
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, um ... animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31

Quote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanilations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products.

Try reading teh rules first. Sorry, not trying to be mean. Anime smile"

And it would look as if you are new here, so Hi! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Celestial Aegis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
O..ok... Embarassed well thanks anyway and hi to you too!! Smile
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Bah. Check out animescores.com. It's a pretty cool place with a ton of good piano scores.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Bah. Check out animescores.com. It's a pretty cool place with a ton of good piano scores.

Man... I have absolutely no idea where musical arrangements fit in with copyright.

The original music is obviously copyrighted, and musical 'arrangement' is one of the rights granted by Japanese copyright law (copyright law of japan, chapter 2, section 3.3, article 27).. and that's what these are.

The Berne Convention also protects "rights of adaptation" (including arrangements, article 12).. US copyright also protects "derivative works" (including musical arrangements, US Law title 17, chapter 1, section 106)...

Hmm... I need to think some more about the legal status of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from a couple of anime composers.
cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from a couple of anime composers.

I doubt their opinions would vary much from American composers.

.. But, I too would be interested in hearing from professional musicians regarding this practice. It's something I simply have never really encountered before, and so although my external non-lawyer view of this says, "copyright violation", I'm also aware of cover bands and other "derivative work" that apparently have never gotten into any sort of legal trouble for their work.

eva05, care to comment?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:46 am Reply with quote
There was a game composer at Sakuracon. He did secret of Mana and such. As if he had any inspiration, he said, "Yes, they paid me."
Celestial Aegis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:14 am Reply with quote
WOW Shocked is it that complicated??
To me these music scores are a different kind of music compared to the original...perhaps a variaton but honestly, i don't see it as a copyright. If it were to be one, then the Malaysian national anthem would be also considered as a copyright of one of the states song....(no offence) Confused am i making any sense???

Anyway, that wasn't the point i posted this forum.....
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quote
My understanding is that it is copyright infringement because it is a direct representation of the artists work, but depending upon the format it might be a gray area.

For example, if I were to play a song that I never release the sheets for, and some writes the sheet music for it is it in fact copyright infringement? I would own the song, but without showing someone else the sheet music it is hard to say if their sheet music is an exact match for what I played.

So here is the way I would see it - if it is a scan of a sheet music book then it is infringement because it is a copy of a published work. But if the sheets were written without a reference material other than the song itself then it would be an extreme gray area and arguablely a derivative work and I would class it in the same area as a cover band.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this will help, but if you're willing to BUY the sheet music, you can go here:

http://www.gamemusic.com/dept/121/default.asp?dept=121&cat=&uid=9086200406081434

Most of it is video game music, but they have some anime scores as well.

And seeing as how you have Elly as your avatar, I assume you like Xenogears. They have that one too, in case you're curious. Razz

I don't remember if I welcomed you to the forums already, but I'll say it again just in case.

Welcome to the forums! Wink
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Since we're on the subject, anyone know where I can find Yasunori Mitsuda guitar tabs? All I can find are some Chrono Cross ones, and I'd like some Chrono Trigger, and maybe some Xenogears, and pretty much all the songs that featured guitars on his Time and Space cd. >.>
cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Celestial Aegis wrote:
the Malaysian national anthem would be also considered as a copyright of one of the states song

Nope. Copyrights supposedly expire after a given period of time, varying on when it was produced and under what circumstances.. But basically, anything written before 1923 is copyright free, and anything written after 1/1/1923 is usually (but not always) copyrighted (exceptions do exist, of course).

Using old songs is perfectly legal, because there is no copyright associated with them.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Celestial Aegis wrote:
the Malaysian national anthem would be also considered as a copyright of one of the states song

Nope. Copyrights supposedly expire after a given period of time, varying on when it was produced and under what circumstances.. But basically, anything written before 1923 is copyright free, and anything written after 1/1/1923 is usually (but not always) copyrighted (exceptions do exist, of course).

Using old songs is perfectly legal, because there is no copyright associated with them.

Was it just me, or did I hear something like Disney has the rights to the "happy birthday" song, or something?!

I really don't believe it's really needing to be all uptight about it and all.

Although, I think the only instances in where it is illegal to post music is when it is copied directly from a legal source (i.e. photocopying a piece of sheet music which is under current copyright, then distributing the copies for money.) and such. If the key (as in the musical key) is altered, i think distribution is legal. Also, with some music, when you buy the music, you also buy the rights to copy it and distribute it within a limited crowd (i.e. a conductor copying an original to distribute to an orchestra), or other such. Blah. it's really too complicated for me to care really. I can play the Mario Bros theme on Cello near perfect, just by ear. Would it be illegal for me to score that down on paper and distribute? I doubt it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Was it just me, or did I hear something like Disney has the rights to the "happy birthday" song, or something?!

Not Disney, but yes, the traditional "Happy Birthday" song that "everyone" sings is, in fact, copyrighted.

Quote:
you also buy the rights to copy it and distribute it within a limited crowd (i.e. a conductor copying an original to distribute to an orchestra), or other such.

In some cases, yes, when you buy music you're also buying the rights for limited noncommercial redistribution. In other cases, no, you're not. It depends on when the piece was written, who it was purchased from, etc.

Changing keys or modes probably wouldn't stand up in court as a derivative work.. but arranging a classical piece for guitar probably would. Whether that validates it as a separate work, one that is legally self-sustained, I don't know.

At any rate, it's certainly illegal to take a pre-existing score, scan it and post it. I'm NOT sure if it's illegal to take a CD, transcribe the heard notes and make an arrangement. I'm just going around in circles on this problem. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3