• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kannagi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kunisaki Shugo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
I'm planning to download the 8th episode but meanwhile, my head keep's on remembering when Akiba said, 'It's a Sony'. I swear, somethings would just get stuck on your head, like the OP for Lucky Star, Mokkete! Sailor Fuku!. (I may have some spelling mistakes due to me typing quickly before the start of first period in school.)
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
kornpone wrote:
By the way Japanese blogs have been hot with discussions about spoiler[all of the inside jokes in this episode, such as the strange weather report and the extra characters running out of the bathrooms.]

Yeah, just who were those people anyway? I noticed what looked like a ghost and some green haired girl?

Kunisaki Shugo wrote:
I'm planning to download the 8th episode but meanwhile, my head keep's on remembering when Akiba said, 'It's a Sony'.

Winner of best product placement in an anime "EVAH!" If this show makes it to Blu-ray they need to find a way to get that on the package. Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
padjoy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Recent subbed ep of Kannagi irritated me. It's a god damn filler for all I can see.

ep 8 - NOT WORTH IT
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Are you kidding?

Episode 8 definitely isn't just filler; you could probably say that more about episode 7 but not 8.

spoiler[For one thing, Daisetsu now knows what Nagi is after a fashion, Jin learnt more about what Nagi is too, and her split personality weird thing.]

Besides it's a comedy. It's not meant to be the most meaningful thing on the planet. I'm entertained, and that's why I'm watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kornpone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Yeah, just who were those people anyway? I noticed what looked like a ghost and some green haired girl?

The ghost-like figure is a caricature that the author, Takenashi Eri, draws of herself. It's a bit odd, since it's a male-like figure and is depicted nude (!), but this is the only public image we have of Ms Takenashi. Tomatsu Haruka and the director wondered in the first "Kannagi Radio" episode why she chooses to depict herself this way: "She's rather cute, I don't know why!" said Ms Tomatsu.

The other figure is Kaiketsu Yôsei Punyata (roughly translated, "Super Fairy Punyata"), the heroine of a short that appeared at the end of volume 2 of the manga.

--But gee, opinion sure seems to be divided on this anime, eh? Laughing "Not worth it" and "filler"? Hmm. . . --I have to admit, I guess I just don't understand what some people are looking for.

One thing that helps in appreciating Kannagi's charm is to understand something about Shintô, which in its story arcs is distinct from other ancient polytheistic traditions, but which nonetheless shares much of the earthiness and plain violence of, say, Greek or Hindu mythology.

Nagi herself suggests to Jin that he should study up ("Haven't you read the Nihon Shoki*?!"), and as obscure and convoluted as it may seem, having a bit of a grasp of this material will shed quite a bit of light on a number of things --not only in this series but in others as well.

Homework for watching anime? Well, consider that the payoff is reaching a deeper level of understanding about Japan in general and anime in particular. Isn't it worth the effort? Wink

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Shoki
Kunisaki Shugo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
kornpone wrote:
Emerje wrote:

The ghost-like figure is a caricature that the author, Takenashi Eri, draws of herself. It's a bit odd, since it's a male-like figure and is depicted nude (!), but this is the only public image we have of Ms Takenashi. Tomatsu Haruka and the director wondered in the first "Kannagi Radio" episode why she chooses to depict herself this way: "She's rather cute, I don't know why!" said Ms Tomatsu.

The other figure is Kaiketsu Yôsei Punyata (roughly translated, "Super Fairy Punyata"), the heroine of a short that appeared at the end of volume 2 of the manga.

--But gee, opinion sure seems to be divided on this anime, eh? Laughing "Not worth it" and "filler"? Hmm. . . --I have to admit, I guess I just don't understand what some people are looking for.

One thing that helps in appreciating Kannagi's charm is to understand something about Shintô, which in its story arcs is distinct from other ancient polytheistic traditions, but which nonetheless shares much of the earthiness and plain violence of, say, Greek or Hindu mythology.

Nagi herself suggests to Jin that he should study up ("Haven't you read the Nihon Shoki*?!"), and as obscure and convoluted as it may seem, having a bit of a grasp of this material will shed quite a bit of light on a number of things --not only in this series but in others as well.

Homework for watching anime? Well, consider that the payoff is reaching a deeper level of understanding about Japan in general and anime in particular. Isn't it worth the effort? Wink

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Shoki

What kornpone said is true since this anime is filled with Shinto references but the most obvious one is the ending at the end, even though it doesn't fits the show, it fits the whole Shinto theme. Many anime has historical references, like Fate/ stay night, which was based on King Arthur and Arthurian legends along with other mythical figures, like Hercules of Greek mythology, for example. When history comes up in the anime, it just make you feel that the anime really happened in our time and space.

On another note, this anime is supposed to be a comedy, it doesn't have to make sense. Heck, giant blue men stomping on buildings made by a merciless god doesn't make sense and it's FAMOUS! (You can guess which anime I'm talking about.) Since first period just started, I should go. Ja ne.

- k
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
One thing I didn't like about the latest episode is that spoiler[Nagi didn't get jealous at all. I somewhat expected her to have a kind of quiet jealousy about the other two jumping all over Jin and not even considering her (Jin included) and that a different side of her would be revealed (since I still think Nagi is meant to be the one he actually gets with, if anyone) - but it just didn't happen.]

One thing that's bugging me a little with this show is that the character relationships were more or less set in stone from the moment the anime started and they haven't really gone anywhere from there imo. However I'm still loving this anime - spoiler[when the rumour went around about Jin and Daitetsu and then Daitetsu got given that love letter by that guy, I was literally on the floor crying and holding my stomach in pain. That was a stroke of genius.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
One thing I didn't like about the latest episode is that spoiler[Nagi didn't get jealous at all. I somewhat expected her to have a kind of quiet jealousy about the other two jumping all over Jin and not even considering her (Jin included) and that a different side of her would be revealed (since I still think Nagi is meant to be the one he actually gets with, if anyone) - but it just didn't happen.]

I was perfectly fine with that. spoiler[Nagi's expressed no romantic interest in Jin yet, nor has she demonstrated any truly tsundere tendencies that would be hiding romantic intent, so it would have been painfully cliche and unjustified for her to get jealous. A good parody doesn't follow every genre trope, just the ones it is capable of mocking.]

The comedy, as usual, is awesome. I loved the random guy's twinkling smile when he gave the letter to Daitetsu. It was almost as funny as the black-haired girl out-nerding Akiba.
motaku96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that I'm beginning to really like Tsugumi. I really like all the characters in general but I'm starting to think Tsugumi is my favorite. At first I thought she was just gonna be a regular childhood friend character but I've really grown to like her. I hope she ends up with Jin in the end. Here are the main reasons why I like her:
Reason #1: I like the way she says "Tsugumi desu"(It's Tsugumi) to Zange-chan whenever Zange doesn't remember her name.
Reason #2: I like it when she contemplates a situation in her head and decides what the right thing to do is, but still does the bad thing. Then she mentally berates herself for being bad and saying cruel things.

This is just a bonus question: spoiler[Oh and as a side note I was wondering, you know about things like pedophile and zoophile? I was wondering if there was a word like that for someone that's attracted to gods/goddesses?]
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
^ Thanks, kornpone!

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I was perfectly fine with that. spoiler[Nagi's expressed no romantic interest in Jin yet, nor has she demonstrated any truly tsundere tendencies that would be hiding romantic intent, so it would have been painfully cliche and unjustified for her to get jealous. A good parody doesn't follow every genre trope, just the ones it is capable of mocking.]

Agreed, plus Nagi really enjoys watching Jin squirm in embarrassment. Even if she does have romantic feelings for him I think she'd have more fun this way anyway.

One thing I found interesting was Zange's comment about the voice inside her. We knew her host gave-in willingly, but this is the first indication that she was still actively/consciously observing her surroundings from the inside. Her approval of the plan has me wondering if she hasn't developed feelings for Jin as well.

Emerje
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
One thing I found interesting was Zange's comment about the voice inside her. We knew her host gave-in willingly, but this is the first indication that she was still actively/consciously observing her surroundings from the inside. Her approval of the plan has me wondering if she hasn't developed feelings for Jin as well.

Hakua's liked Jin all along and Zhange has been 'helping'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

It's the second time. Remember whem Tsugumi, Nagi, and Zange had the cooking competition over Jin? Zange was mumbling to herself about not cooperating. I think there were also comments about how she didn't feel that was the appropriate way to get closer to Jin, even though the that was the result she wanted.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Hakua's liked Jin all along and Zhange has been 'helping'.

Really? I've never got that impression, I actually thought Zange was doing things out of her own interests and/or because she thought it would get a reaction out of Nagi. So Zange is only there to help Hakua get closer to Jin? Well then that's just sure to fail.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It's the second time. Remember whem Tsugumi, Nagi, and Zange had the cooking competition over Jin? Zange was mumbling to herself about not cooperating. I think there were also comments about how she didn't feel that was the appropriate way to get closer to Jin, even though the that was the result she wanted.

I never picked up on that, I guess I just thought she was talking to herself. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop This is the first time I can remember her actually addressing Hakua openly as an interactive character and not just an observer.

Emerje
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I kind of agree with Dorcas interpretation of the previous events concerning Zange/Hakua. I'm not "sure" of it but it does seem to be hinting in that direction.

I do think it's beneficial that not everyone is falling over the male lead, and the show has been atypical in regards to quite a few other things as well.

I am not as picky about "originality" as others are, but I think this show has enough twists off the standard harem-type series that it's fresh. I generally like or dislike these series based on how well the characters and comedy work for me, and so far Kannagi has done a pretty good job in both areas. Having some unique spins on characters (or their relationships with one another more specifically) is certainly not hurting the show in this regard.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
Idolm@ster has a go at motto hade ni ne.

I swear I will never get tired of this song. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8