• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Jersey Shore Team Seeks Anime/Manga/Cosplay Fans for Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure most Otaku are smart enough to stay the heck away from this kind of thing, but I'm sure there's a lot of ignorant, attention-seeking ones who don't know how to function, either.

I'd probably be the kind of stereotypical Otaku they're looking for (as far as looks goes anyway) but I'm honestly too quiet and well-mannered to be a source of "entertainment" Anime dazed

I can see it now:
Quote:
Me: *gets on the internet*
Me: *mostly stays on tumblr and msn*
Me: *sometimes watches anime/draws/listens to music*
Me: *forages for food if she remembers to eat*
Me: *repeat*

gosh I'm boring D:
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
This is something I could see being cute, smart, and funny. Ugh, but from the people who brought us Jersey Shore. I'm sure it will be more exploitative crap.

I honestly can't see what good could come of gathering a pack of fanatical young adult Japanophiles, and encouraging them to overplay their zealousness; regardless of who produces and films it. The thing is, anime fans like most of us--the ones that would develop a positive image for otaku--wouldn't be caught dead participating in something like this. But fans like this...

...would be the first ones to audition. And any attempts to cast us in a positive light would be discarded from the final cut, as in the situation in Taiwan that Dormcat was talking about. If ANN or a North American licensing company were doing this (because I know they'd draw from a completely different pool, require specific criteria, and follow a certain method), I'd say "go right ahead! This could be really beneficial".

Otherwise, it's just more of the same adding to the problem.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

Double post. Sorry. If possible, could a moderator delete this post. I wasn't given the option to delete

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
GhostShell

I'm with the others on this (ie bad idea). Interestingly, we never seem to see any "reality" based shows on "reality" based producers. Hmmm. Me thinks it might be time? Turn around is fair play, is it not?
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
If ANN or a North American licensing company were doing this (because I know they'd draw from a completely different pool, require specific criteria, and follow a certain method), I'd say "go right ahead! This could be really beneficial".

That would be kind of interesting. I didn't audition for "world's greatest Otaku" that TP was hosting because I feel like I wouldn't have been "worthy" of such a title, (that and I wasn't much of a Tokyopop fan..) but if ANN needed a female (to balance things out maybe) hikikomori (just for reference) who at least has common sense...I'd try to submit a form or..something.
spoiler[gosh I'm pathetic orz]

But yeah that's not the case :V
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
You're pretty brave, Mizuki. I don't know if I could have my daily asocial activities broadcasted to the world.

But, sadly, that's about the only difference between us. Crying or Very sad
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
You're pretty brave, Mizuki. I don't know if I could have my daily asocial activities broadcasted to the world.

But, sadly, that's about the only difference between us. Crying or Very sad

lol well I'd probably fill out a form thinking that I wouldn't get picked, but then if ANN ended up actually picking me I'd be like

"WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

But if I were able to help the Otaku image at all, even if its just showing what a nice girl I can be or how I'm not loud and obnoxious at all, (though I can be at times? not in a nightmarish weeaboo way but..) then I'd do it for the sake of the community :'D

But this Jersey Shore thing haha no way orz
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, bearing the responsibility of repairing anime fans' shattered mainstream image is equivalent to carrying the world on your shoulders (or at least a 40-year-old male cosplayer). I commend those up to the challenge.

It's an honorable cause, just not for me. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
I'd bet they'd get lots of applications - many nerds want their 15 minutes and would need the money to buy more figurines and dakimakura. Laughing

GATSU wrote:
That's really ironic, 'cus the "characters" on Jersey Shore are the types who would have beaten up anime fans in high school. Rolling Eyes

Or give them the time of day. Laughing

Although if you think about it, so do the school-drama queens who would go on to play theater, acting, and voice................... Razz

Youkai Warrior wrote:
I liked MTV better when it was all music videos.

Dude, nobody here watched MTV for the music videos back when it was all music videos. Laughing
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
Remember, they're casting for all-around pop culture and science nerds. At most there would probably be one or two anime fans, and likely would just be some cosplay models. (not trying to say cosplay models can't be fans, but it would be more their looks and the way they dress that gets them on the show than actual knowledge)
geradgerard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Remember, they're casting for all-around pop culture and science nerds. At most there would probably be one or two anime fans, and likely would just be some cosplay models. (not trying to say cosplay models can't be fans, but it would be more their looks and the way they dress that gets them on the show than actual knowledge)

yeah idk why people are flipping out so much. im thinking mostly of cosplayers of anime/video game/comics. american comics/superhero buffs. a genuine anime watcher. and a secret hipster. there will probably only be one serious otaku that will start all kinds of otaku drama.

and i seriosuly doubt they would really cast unappealing super otaku. this is for television remember. theres plenty of attractive anime/other stuff mentioned fans
TitanManTheMan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd only watch this if they got like a bunch of kiddies who only liked junk like Teen Titans and Avatar and tried to pass them off as anime fans and showed how ignorant they were

Laughing Would be hilarious.
Zhane Masaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
This has massive retarded epic fail written all over it.
Konopan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I could totally watch a Twilight-loving Gleek get into drunken catfights with an MLP-loving cosplayer. That all the males would probably be twig-thin Big Bang Theory rejects trying to get in their pants would only be icing on the cake.

Anyone who enjoys anything on a reasonable level would not be able to make it on the show in the first place, so the chances of a genuine closet otaku getting picked over an ADD-riddled weeaboo are slim to none, unless he/she has the aesthetics required to make everyone want to sex them.

O glorious trainwreck, I await your arrival!
Animepimp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
They seem to want a lot of energetic people according to reading the application. Only two things preventing me from participating getting trolled especially by 4chan and also what do the cast get out of this? Nothing on the app answers that question.
The guy on MTV's True life I'm a fan boy was pretty chill. This would be the guy who was an aspiring film maker who specializes in horror. The girl who was into WOW was also pretty chill who went on to have her own comic book store. Then there is True life I'm a gamer where there was a professional gamer. Normal guy with a g/f no less. Thus showing normal people who just love to do things in fandom. Yeah there were some who were extreme such as the guy obsessed with Power Rangers(gawd that pissed me off) but yep those some examples of normal people in fandom on reality t.v. In the end we those of us who choose to watch this show will see how this comes out. Expect the worse and hope for the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4