• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaos;HEAd (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
So I finally managed to get through this after a long battle with video encoding/playback difficulties (it's a BD rip). Thankfully, the developers for the media player I use are very active in addressing the issues and suggestions of their users.

But enough about that.

I'm not going to lie: being that this is pretty much the older, less successful sister series to the more highly acclaimed Steins;Gate, I didn't expect a blockbuster. That said, I'm not fuming with disappointment, but I am disturbed at how quickly this turned into a reputable disaster. One can look to the review on the ANN encyclopaedia for a run-down of how I generally feel about it (sans the very generous letter rating for story, which is definitely a tad high on the scale). It incorporated some bold psychological concepts and I felt, amusingly, that watching Takumi was like watching a real otaku if a real otaku were several times worse and completely at rock bottom. All of the former were executed extremely haphazardly, due in large part to the pacing. It was nice and slow and careful for most of the first half, but then, everything just fell apart after that into a terrible ocean of clichés, loose ends, and progressively nonsensical dialogue. And don't get me started on the animation: I'll just say simply that I cannot recall "action" scenes more static than this in recent memory. It makes me think that the series would have been a lot more interesting as a thriller with "fight" scenes entirely composed of people trying to delude each other to death.

But, I blind-bought it largely because I decided to blind-buy Steins;Gate due to its immense critical acclaim (I didn't expect anything to overtake Clannad After Story in the bayesian rankings on this site even temporarily). Given how they're apparently connected in some fashion, if only slightly, I am hoping, at least, that seeing this will make the experience of seeing its successor a bit better.

Oh well. At least I can say that some of its concepts were more interesting than that of the vast majority of harems that ever come out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3