• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Case Closed Manga Names to Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:22 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:

Izlude wrote:
BTW, Viz has done a few changes in their Shonen Jump mag, in DBZ, Mr.Satan is Hercule (as most of us know him),

They're not up to the chapter in which Ms. Satan is introduced yet. How could you know that?

Some people I know got their next SJ issue early and it was mentioned in the issue "The world champ Hercule would be participating in the upcoming Cell Game!". So, his name is Hercule now! Although whats weird is, I was told in that issue they mentioned his original name too, they said He was a former wrestler named Mr.Satan... or something... I dont know... I'll have to pick up the issue for myself.
Animated_Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:44 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
This is really strange, and not so because it's happening, it happens all of the time, but because Viz is doing it. Through all of Shounen Jump, a magazine geared towards kids, they leave all of the characters with their regular Japanese names. This includes titles like Dragonball Z that fans are probably more familiar with their TV names than their manga original names. This is just a little unusual for them, but then they don't do a lot of manga that has been shown on TV first, but with Conan having a somewhat wider range of readers they'd keep the names the same as the originals.

Emerje

I was thinking the same thing. (Like what you were saying about DBZ...) The Yu-Gi-Oh characters are probably more known in America by their "dubbed" names, but Shonen Jump/Viz keep the original Japanese names in their mangas. Why not do the same thing for the Detective Conan/Case Closed manga? (Hmm... I wonder if Viz will do the same thing for the upcoming Beyblade manga and change the names?)

While I don't really mind the "dubbed" names, seeing and/or hearing the original Japanese names make the whole manga/anime experience feel more exotic. Very Happy

Animated Lady
Tenseiga323

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:07 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Tenseiga232 wrote:
No.The title was change because of license issues.They change the name themself so it could fit the american viewer.

So how come Viz seldom does that for other more popular titles?

I was talking about Funi not Viz.Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I already edit what I quote to make it more clearer.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:04 am Reply with quote
Again I pose the same question. How come FUNi hasn't done any serious name chanigng with any other properties beyond Conan? Sohma is still Sohma, Eclair is still Eclair, Vegeta is still Vegeta*, Yuji is still Yuji, Hiei is still Hiei, so why does Conan curiously stand out?

*I acknowledge a few name changes in Dragon Ball, but those can easily be attributed to Saban, alternate translation (I can see them getting Recoome from Rikuumu or Bulma from Buruma), and self-censorship (a children's show with a character named Bra isn't likely to fare too well, y'know?). These minor alterations had perfectly valid reasons, so I don't really care to bring them up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenseiga323

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:40 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Again I pose the same question. How come FUNi hasn't done any serious name chanigng with any other properties beyond Conan? Sohma is still Sohma, Eclair is still Eclair, Vegeta is still Vegeta*, Yuji is still Yuji, Hiei is still Hiei, so why does Conan curiously stand out?

Have you ever thought they have a new marketing plan since they hiring a new person?I forgot where the topic is but funi did hire new people for marketing their title.

plus this is a new title for them and its not like Kiddy Grade or Tenchi Muyo GXP.Its airing on tv and they want to get more viewer by doing so.(though I disagree with the way they think)

If you really think about it its like tokyopop with Initial D(except no music change).They never did anything like that before and they want to test how it work out with the fans.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:05 am Reply with quote
*sighs* Just when I had convinced myself to go buy the first tank...

"It's only the cover that's changed," I said to myself, "At least they aren't changing the names. That would be bad."

*pauses*

Oh well, at least I have it in Chinese. Very Happy (for about 1/4 the price too)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I'm no fan of Detective Conan (haven't seen or read, but may look into it someday), but in the case of name changing, I don't really mind.

As long as people eventually realize these are just name changes made under the restricitions of licensing or whatever, and don't get all fanboy over it saying stuff like, "Jimmy Kudo iz da naaM of teh good guy and ALWWAYZ haZ been!!111, WHo DA heLL iz KONAN?" Wink
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes I forgot about Tokyopop's biggest anime crime in the form of Initial D. I had the advantage of watching Initial D in it's original untainted form via fan sub, and I have to say it was much better before Tokyopop got to it.

I hate to say it but it's one series I won't be buying now unless I import the japanese dvds, which have usually have english subtitles anyway. Initial D is a cool series but deserved better treatment, and Tokyopop should try doing some market research first to find out what we want, or better still do some anime test drive dvds like ADVs mini line. Distributing these for free at anime cons with a feedback form would help get some idea of what we want and is really overlooked.

I believe in letting a series sell itself on it's own merits, and reviews and ads will do the rest. If Initial D is supposed to be aimed at those who bought Need For Speed Underground it might work, but this is a risky pigeon hole that may turn away the real anime fans from it, the same fans that helped create this u.s market.

Perhaps I might be seen as over doing it, but I do this not because of fanboy elitism, but rather asking the question which anime/manga will be next in line, also where and when will this stop. Fans made there voices heard, and the Hollywood Mew Mew title is no more, I'd just like to see the same consideration extend to other series like DC. If we stay silent your fave series could be next in line.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Hmm. I'm no fan of Detective Conan (haven't seen or read, but may look into it someday), but in the case of name changing, I don't really mind.

As long as people eventually realize these are just name changes made under the restricitions of licensing or whatever, and don't get all fanboy over it saying stuff like, "Jimmy Kudo iz da naaM of teh good guy and ALWWAYZ haZ been!!111, WHo DA heLL iz KONAN?" Wink

And in the end, the name changes don't really have any bearing on the actual story. It's not like Viz is cutting out huge chunks of the manga. I remember the then MixxZine version of Sailor Moon, which was a strange mish-mash of both the English and Japanese names, the japanese being mostly for characters who didn't appear until S and later. It was weird, but the actual story was intact. I personally think everyone is taking this way too serious.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Hollywood Mew Mew title is no more, I'd just like to see the same consideration extend to other series like DC. If we stay silent your fave series could be next in line.

So...two instances out of hundreds of quality releases signify the end? So we go for five-ish years with almost nothing but praiseworthy efforts from ADV, Bandai, Geneon, FUNimation, Viz, AnimEigo, etc., and one or two Americanisations mean it's all going to hell?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vekou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Some people I know got their next SJ issue early and it was mentioned in the issue "The world champ Hercule would be participating in the upcoming Cell Game!". So, his name is Hercule now! Although whats weird is, I was told in that issue they mentioned his original name too, they said He was a former wrestler named Mr.Satan... or something... I don't know... I'll have to pick up the issue for myself.

Well, those are just rumors as far as I'm concerned. We'll find out for sure in a few days (mine should be in the mail soon).

Tony K. wrote:
As long as people eventually realize these are just name changes made under the restricitions of licensing or whatever, and don't get all fanboy over it saying stuff like, "Jimmy Kudo iz da naaM of teh good guy and ALWWAYZ haZ been!!111, WHo DA heLL iz KONAN?"

If you're going to make fun of a large section of the anime fanbase, at least get your facts straight.

First off, they're changing his name from Shinichi to Jimmy. Conan is his detective name in both versions.

Second, it has not been proven that these name changes are the result of license issues or restrictions (and I highly doubt they are).

Third, nobody at this board types or acts like that. Nobody I've seen, anyway.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
First off, they're changing his name from Shinichi to Jimmy. Conan is his detective name in both versions.

Like I said, I'm no fan of Conan. I've never even heard of him until I saw a character from a video game that was supposed to be a parody of him. Sorry. Wink
Alpha Trion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:36 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
Izlude wrote:
Some people I know got their next SJ issue early and it was mentioned in the issue "The world champ Hercule would be participating in the upcoming Cell Game!". So, his name is Hercule now! Although whats weird is, I was told in that issue they mentioned his original name too, they said He was a former wrestler named Mr.Satan... or something... I don't know... I'll have to pick up the issue for myself.

Well, those are just rumors as far as I'm concerned. We'll find out for sure in a few days (mine should be in the mail soon).

I got my SJ in the mail yesterday. on page 239, the announcor on TV says, "The great combatant Hercule - formerly known as the wrestler 'Mr. Satan' - has announced he will enter the Cell Game!! Let's give a big hand for Hercule!"

As far as I know, this is the first incident of name-changing in Shonen Jump.
The_id_inside

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:12 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Like I said, I'm no fan of Conan. I've never even heard of him until I saw a character from a video game that was supposed to be a parody of him. Sorry. Wink

Could that possibly have been Kidd from Suikoden III?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:39 am Reply with quote
Alpha Trion wrote:
As far as I know, this is the first incident of name-changing in Shonen Jump.

I believe so, and it's interesting that they'd go with a full on name change, rather than go the FUNi uncut DBZ route and refere to him as "Hercule Satan."

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4