• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OST licensing.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I recently pre-ordered Wolf's Rain Vol.1 Limited Edition (with artbox, OST, and Kiba plush), and I'm VERY anxious to listen to that soundtrack.

But does anyone know when or if the 2nd one will be licensed? I'd rather buy it domestically than having to import it (because I'm cheap Razz). Oh, and the same goes for Witch Hunter Robin.

And I'd also like someone to inform me of how licensing music goes. Is it based on statistics and probablity of profit in sales? Demographics? Popularity? That sort of thing?

I got my Vol.1 + artbox of Samurai Deeper Kyo as well, and it came with a $5 rebate card that had space for comments, and I asked them if they could start licensing music. Particularly, I told them I'd like to see some Rurouni Kenshin OSTs sometime. But given how old Kenshin is, the popularity might not be as great among fans in general.

Oh well, if it comes down to importing, then I guess it'll all just have to wait (till I get all the DVDs I want... Anime smallmouth).
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
IIRC Jerry told me that some later Wolf's Rain DVD releases down the road might be LE. So keep your fingers crossed, and I'll ask about it at AX this weekend.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:10 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
IIRC Jerry told me that some later Wolf's Rain DVD releases down the road might be LE. So keep your fingers crossed, and I'll ask about it at AX this weekend.

Ah! Thank you, thank you! Shocked
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:00 am Reply with quote
Bandai has there hands on Wolf's rain. Which means that future LE releases might be your only hope. If you haven't noticed, Bandai has only released 3 OST seperately from LE sets. Wolfs Rain, .hack//SIGN 1, and .hack//DUSK.

Other than the one Samurai X OST (Animetrax/ADV), I don't think that there is any other US released RK CD. Which does seem rather interesting. BUT, there is something that you might need to consider....(I have recently inquired myself), sometimes merchandising rights (CDs, posters, t-shirts) are held as a seperate entity from anime rights....but sometimes they are included. If that happened to be the case with Kenshin....then Media Blasters will have to start a CD label before you could even hope of getting them. That is what I figure happened.

But, to answer your other question, from my meagre research, in reference to purchasing merchandise...(bad sentence Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )
*Ahem* When you make an offer for acquisition, you make it based on what you think you can make off of it (as well as, what you can afford). The acquisition price is (according Shawne Kleckner, CEO TRSI) a "minimum guarantee" to the Japanese company (in reference to royalties).

Also, from my research, there must not be that much of a demand for domestic OST (probably thanks to piracy), as there are only ~125 domestically released OST's in the US (this includes the recent acquisitions of Tofu Records J-pop). *shrugs*. I don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1