• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sojitz to Dissolve ARM Subsidiary for Anime Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
justin:
Quote:
Nobody won.

Sojitz made double its money through two companies, so I'm not sure how it lost this one.

tempest:
Quote:
Companies can run deficits for years without "failing."

That's what Ken Lay and the people running Freddie and Fannie said, too. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
BVUSA was ready to lose money for several years, and had it not been for other factors, they would have continued to run the company despite the deficit.

What was said about companies running deficits without failing is completely true. It takes time to get start-up costs back and simply break even, and BV was relatively new. Also, it's quite common for even already established companies to run a deficit for awhile and still be ok in the long run. The stupid and/or unethical choices of the companies/people that you've mentioned are totally different cases. Also, I'd like to actually see the numbers to back up the claim that Sojitz somehow made "double its money".
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Greed: You have to have capital and/or collateral for a company to be successful enough to weather losses. BV Japan was clearly not willing to front that kind of money to keep BV U.S.A. running right. Also, how are the execs running BV any less stupid or unethical than the execs running those dummy corporations, considering that all they cared about was taking their own satellite company's market share for themselves in the greediest way possible?

As for Sojitz, well, they make whatever profit they got out of key titles from ADV, and whatever they made through renegotiation with ADV, and finally through renegotiation with FUNimation. They saw the ball, took it, and ran with it, plain and simple. You don't need stats to back that one up, if you simply read between the lines.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Greed: You have to have capital and/or collateral for a company to be successful enough to weather losses. BV Japan was clearly not willing to front that kind of money to keep BV U.S.A. running right. Also, how are the execs running BV any less stupid or unethical than the execs running those dummy corporations, considering that all they cared about was taking their own satellite company's market share for themselves in the greediest way possible?

As for Sojitz, well, they make whatever profit they got out of key titles from ADV, and whatever they made through renegotiation with ADV, and finally through renegotiation with FUNimation. They saw the ball, took it, and ran with it, plain and simple. You don't need stats to back that one up, if you simply read between the lines.

Did they ACTUALLY make a profit though? If they didn't then they didn't "double" their money, they possibly still lost out in the end. The real sales figures are what I'd believe. Unless you actually have those figures, then it's conjecture. Also, it's totally different with those other companies. With the Ken Lay example, it was deliberately hiding the companies woes to look successful, BV never tried anything like that. Also, it's not stupid to want your subsidiary to flourish, in fact, that's the whole point. Up until the Namco Bandai complete takeover, the two companies were not considered to be together, so they were actually competitors. Nothing stupid about it. Now that they are, it would make no sense to continue both.

As for the collateral and capital discussion, of course a company needs those, and I never said that BV did or didn't. I'm pointing out that it's entirely possible for companies to run in the red for awhile and still be fine. Plus there is always the issue of start up costs to consider. It's often a case that they need to spend money to make money.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Greed:
Quote:
Did they ACTUALLY make a profit though?

Not at the end.

Quote:
With the Ken Lay example, it was deliberately hiding the companies woes to look successful, BV never tried anything like that.

The previous comment was out of line. I apologize. No, BV isn't corrupt, but it was desperately trying to manufacture an audience for their products which didn't exist.

Quote:
Up until the Namco Bandai complete takeover, the two companies were not considered to be together, so they were actually competitors. Nothing stupid about it.

They weren't together in the sense that one was directly headed by the Japan branch, while the other represented the Japan branch in the U.S. It's still the same money being funneled here, though.

Quote:
I'm pointing out that it's entirely possible for companies to run in the red for awhile and still be fine.

If you have a viable product, yes. That's why MS can fail twice on X Box and still be worth billions of dollars. Wink
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
It was Sojitz acting like a spoiled child that caused ADV Films their distribution problems back in January and then earlier this summer.

Or maybe the spoiled fansubby-wubby children who refuse to pay for anything they can get their grubby mitts on.
Oh yes, because I bought as Much Gurren Lagann, Keroro Gunsou and Mermaid Melody as I could off of ADV. The point was, they were clocking the bock and they, instead of me, got blue balls.
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Bandai Entertainment and Bandai Visual aren't directly related (as separate as Sunrise and Namco Hometek), hence the rivalry between the two groups. You can think of them as people who share grandparents, but have grown up separately (each wants to do its own thing and possibly best the other). Now, grandpa has stepped in and forced them to work together.

It's silly and redundant, but that's how things go at large Japanese corporations, where immediate group loyalty is intense. For instance, Sony is notorious for heated rivalries between different subsidiaries and departments, despite the fact that they all belong to the same overall group.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
*looks at her pile of cash*

Still waiting...still waiting....
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
minorities are the only ones defaulting?
No, they are not, but the point behind promoting loans to people unlikely to be able to pay was supposedly to increase minority home ownership. (In reality, it's not the ability to repay the loan that screws minorities but typically other factors.) The sub-prime mortage industry grew substantially due to the shift in policies. It brought about a lot of corruption as a result, which was ignored because Fannie and friends are pet companies of politicians.

Basically, it was a bad idea resulting from good intentions by people who really didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify what I posted earlier just to make sure I wasn't misunderstood.

Glad to have an extra confirmation on these anime titles not being at risk. I figured things would be fine given what I know about the players involved but it is always good to have more direct confirmation. Though I did think the first article made that point clearly. (Eh, as long as the anime continues to flow.)
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
*looks at her pile of cash*

Still waiting...still waiting....

Nah............it must be the fansubs. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
Richard: There weren't any good intentions. The lenders were simply rigging the market by targeting people in lower incomes in order to sell more houses.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
Hmm, didn't occur to me that Sojitz still owns that extra 20%... I would have thought they would have sold it back to Ledford for nearly whatever he'd pay for it when they retracted all the licenses.

I mean, if they felt the relationship was really so tainted, why keep a foot in the lava?

If they refused (or were unable) to sell it, that would go a long way towards explaining Ledford's current plans of splitting up the ADV companies...

You set up Sentai Filmworks, Amusement Park Media, Switchblade, Happy Carrot, and ADV Films as separate entities from A.D. Vision itself, then declare AD Vision bankrupt and Sojitz gets squat, while Ledford has complete ownership of the three new parts.
Seems smart enough, but quite complicated compared to simply getting Sojitz to sell their 20% share to you.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
While FUNimation may sell the single DVD releases from whatever they release of the ADV Films catalog I doubt they'll be selling the boxed sets.

Pumpkin Scissors, Red Garden, Welcome to the NHK, has FUNI lost their mind? I've talked with a lot of anime fans on other message forums about this and they've expressed displeasure with how FUNimation has decided to break these titles up and release them as two 13 episode sets.

That wouldn't be so bad, but FUNI is also releasing both sets on the same day forcing a potential anime fan to spend anywhere from $85 to over $100 for a complete series. There's something screwed up about that line of thinking. I have a tough time justifying spending $50 for a potential set, and I have, mind you, on a 26 episode series. FUNimation seems to think they want to try and squeeze as much money from the pickets of anime fans then to keep them as long time consumers.

This same justification is why my anime library consists of more ADV Films, Bandai Entertainmnent, Pioneer and Geneon DVD's than of FUNimation. Their pricing strategy on boxed sets stinks. Especially when these three titles have already been released, for the most part, from ADV Films.

Instead of buying the boxed sets, I'll be taking my money and ordering the ADV Films DVD releases of some of these titles rather than pay what FUNI is asking.

You're basically paying the same price. Boxed Sets means that you get a better price on the set than you would if you had bought the DVD's separately. This strategy has worked for ADV, Bandai and Geneon. I'm saddened that FUNI seems to have the same pricing strategy as Bandai Visual did, and look what happened to BV.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yueh:
Quote:
Had this been a few years back, maybe not, but they launched a luxury product in a downturning economy

The economy only got really bad in the last year. They were clearly losing money before that, though, since they had to actually give away stuff, just to hook people into paying more money for shows they'd normally get cheaper through other companies. And since Bandai Entertainment is handling distribution now, it's fairly obvious most of their library would've gotten a U.S. release. I will agree that I wasn't interested in most of their titles, either, but I might have been interested if the price was right; and that just compounded the problem.

But the economy has been going south for awhile. Forget all that economics crap "A recession is defined as XX months of negative growth" or whatever. It's like the scriptwriter for Trading Places had Eddie Murphy say average Joes worries are different from Wall Street. They're worried worried about if they can afford Christmas for their kid. IF you've been following the news, various sectors are up or down any given quarter so EVEN IF we haven't met the textbook definition for recession, people have been losing their jobs forever. Unemployment has been up to 6%, but if YOU can't find a job because YOUR market is higher than the national average or YOUR area has been depressed longer than the rest of the nation, YOU are not going to be blowing bucks on entertainment. People in my area got burned out last year about this time. Any of those who lost their homes probably have a lot more to think about than buying entertainment items.
Where do all the anime fans live?
How many have hit hard times?
I've been seeing a lot of people at the places I hang out say they've cut back in the last YEAR or even longer because they perceive tighter budgets. Common freaking sense. Gas prices doubled for several months. If I'm spending TWICE as much on gas, I have to move money from somewhere else in my budget to cover & yeah, I cut back driving as much as I could. High gas prices drove up other prices so now we're paying more for food & other stuff, so again, there goes more discretionary spending. Everyone says Americans have been carrying too much debt. Credit card defaults are up. Some people are getting nervous enough they've decided to pay off revolving accounts they've been carrying, so again, there goes that damned discretionary spending.
Don't tell me things have ONLY been bad for a short time. Main Street & Wall Street are 2 different matters.

GATSU wrote:

tempest:
Quote:
Companies can run deficits for years without "failing."

That's what Ken Lay and the people running Freddie and Fannie said,

Ah, yes.
My late husband liked to sell stuff at the swap meet. For tax purposes one can lose money so many years out of so many years (something like 3 out of 5? I haven't had to deal with small business taxes for awhile) before Uncle Sam declares it a hobby & disallows writing off the loss. Thus one can reduce one's personal income by the company's "losses". For businesses operating out of one's home that means one can write off a portion of one's mortgage/rent, electricity, etc. as part of the business operating costs. For a large Corporation like Bandai, a division can lose money, but still be profitable enough to keep running for a certain amount of time. However, on Yahoo today they reported Japan just might be sliding into a recession. If this is the case, things have probably been tightening up over there. Since most of us don't live there, we don't see the "little" economic factors that encourage the rank & file public to cut back on their personal budget. Maybe the Geneon/Dentsu thing last year was an indicator things WERE toughening up in Japan.
When times are uncertain, people control what they can such as their personal budget.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
BVUSA was ready to lose money for several years, and had it not been for other factors, they would have continued to run the company despite the deficit.

If they were ready to lose money, then they would have had no problems with dubs and/or price cuts which reflect the American demand for anime. And they'd distribute their shows themselves, without the aid of a second party, and not limit themselves to internet buyers. No, they clearly hoped that success would come through enough people willing to buy their products, simply because of the dvds themselves, not because of the prices. Their President even tried to compare their titles to the music of indie performers who suddenly hit it big through WOM.

No, they hoped their success would come from the rare titles they were selling. They were looking for a market that didn't believe in saving a buck by downloading everything under the sun & selling titles non-downloaders therefore would never, ever, ever see here in the states. Why would that market want a dub? So if adding a dub wouldn't sell any more copies, or would only sell a handful more dvds, why put out the money? It's the Rolls Royce vs Ford market. Someone who wants a Rolls isn't even looking at a Ford. Someone who wants Haruka will pay for it
They should have sold obscure titles for the same prices as blockbusters they knew would sell 10 times as many copies? Hollywood doesn't even do that, dude. I paid sale price $25 for a "season" of Pushing Daisies-9 eps for $2.77 per ep. I could have gotten Supernatural Season 3 for $39 or $1.95 for 20 eps (or was it 22? Didn't buy it. If I wait about 6 mos, it'll drop to that cheaper range). Even our stuff you pay more if the seller perceives the potential market is smaller.
It didn't pan out. The economy in Japan MIGHT be going south like ours. They're cutting expenses they can to survive perceived lean times in the coming days.
Miitan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
While FUNimation may sell the single DVD releases from whatever they release of the ADV Films catalog I doubt they'll be selling the boxed sets.

Pumpkin Scissors, Red Garden, Welcome to the NHK, has FUNI lost their mind? I've talked with a lot of anime fans on other message forums about this and they've expressed displeasure with how FUNimation has decided to break these titles up and release them as two 13 episode sets.

That wouldn't be so bad, but FUNI is also releasing both sets on the same day forcing a potential anime fan to spend anywhere from $85 to over $100 for a complete series. There's something screwed up about that line of thinking. I have a tough time justifying spending $50 for a potential set, and I have, mind you, on a 26 episode series. FUNimation seems to think they want to try and squeeze as much money from the pickets of anime fans then to keep them as long time consumers.

This same justification is why my anime library consists of more ADV Films, Bandai Entertainmnent, Pioneer and Geneon DVD's than of FUNimation. Their pricing strategy on boxed sets stinks. Especially when these three titles have already been released, for the most part, from ADV Films.

Instead of buying the boxed sets, I'll be taking my money and ordering the ADV Films DVD releases of some of these titles rather than pay what FUNI is asking.

You're basically paying the same price. Boxed Sets means that you get a better price on the set than you would if you had bought the DVD's separately. This strategy has worked for ADV, Bandai and Geneon. I'm saddened that FUNI seems to have the same pricing strategy as Bandai Visual did, and look what happened to BV.

Wait...what?

So we have a box set thats almost the same price as buying the singles. - check

You're getting the same episodes, perhaps in a smaller box, but the same content nontheless for the same price. The only extra thing you're getting if you buy the singles is perhaps a slightly prettier looking shelf and more DVD cases. I'm starting to wonder here how this is in any way related to BV's pricing. Are they going to also release singles for almost double the price of standard anime DVDs and sub only?

Bad analogy is bad.

If I was to summarise your post it would be along the lines of "BAWWWWWWWW! THE BAD MAN TOOK AWAY MY CHEAP ANIME! HERE MR ADV, CAN I BUY IT OFF YOU FOR THE SAME PRICE?"

Companies have to make money and considering Funimation is still alive and kicking while ADV is floundering in the water, they must be doing something right.

In before "YEAH RIPPING OFF ANIME FANS!!!!111111onehundredandeleven"
dalbkino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering exactly what had happened to SGT Frog (Keroro Gunsou)... I hope Funi puts it out on dvd soon!! I love that alien!! Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9