• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
So this is like infomercial for city tourism and Nissan. The bots look like IGPX. Laughing
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
And then we'll either have to wait an eternity for a physical release or it won't happen because Viz hates everyone except Naruto and Bleach fans.

Great. Rolling Eyes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
the chief director worked on Stellvia and Nadesico, both of which were highly popular titles at the time.

Yep, I have a high opinion of director Satou. However, the director for this is only known for directing Polyphonica and Heroic Age, neither of which are very reputable. I also feel that Satou will be so busy directing Miniskirt Pirates that he'll only have a few gazes at this show. Which is why I'm much more interested in Miniskirt Pirates than this show.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow this...really doesn't look like a Viz title. Well since it's a simulcast I'll check it out. Could be decent.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first 20 seconds thinking "ugggh, this is corny"... and then the characters flat out openly admit it. Laughing

Gratuitous fan-service aside, if the rest of this series is as humorously self-aware I might actually like this. Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
if Viz get into stream anime business. CR and funimation will have problem.

I seriously doubt that since they are already in the streaming business and have been doing it for a while now.

na, viz is just using stream for promotion. funimation only stated stream couple months ago. I mean Stream business as a way to make money. I think viz still use Hulu.com to stream.

IF viz is serious about stream with pay monthly subscription, they can easily get most of the top titles each seasons.

viz can take back all the shounen shows like One piece, Naruto, Bleach once the deal with CR or funimation ends.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
... IF viz is serious about stream with pay monthly subscription, they can easily get most of the top titles each seasons.

viz can take back all the shounen shows like One piece, Naruto, Bleach once the deal with CR or funimation ends.

In which alternate history version of Japan do you have Japanese companies running roughshod over existing profitable relationships like that?

Viz's owners are better of with Funimation and Crunchyroll competing for series than they would be with having to bankroll Viz through the money losing period of trying to establish a site to take over the North American streaming market.

And despite your confidence, the strategy you propose would not necessarily kill off either of CR or Funimation.com, so the period of subsidizing Viz's takeover of the North American streaming market could stretch from two to three years into an indefinite money drain.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Great. More shitty fan service with flying robots in a school life setting.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
... IF viz is serious about stream with pay monthly subscription, they can easily get most of the top titles each seasons.

In which alternate history version of Japan do you have Japanese companies running roughshod over existing profitable relationships like that?

Viz's owners are better of with Funimation and Crunchyroll competing for series than they would be with having to bankroll Viz through the money losing period of trying to establish a site to take over the North American streaming market.

And despite your confidence, the strategy you propose would not necessarily kill off either of CR or Funimation.com, so the period of subsidizing Viz's takeover of the North American streaming market could stretch from two to three years into an indefinite money drain.

that's why i said, they are not doing stream. lol I don't remember who said viz is doing stream business. I never said they will be better off or make more money.

I don't have MBA in business. I don't know if they will make money of not. I don't have any data. I don't know how much it cost to stream 1 eps of naruto. I do know it doesn't cost CR that much money to stream anime or Funimation to stream them. indefinite money drain on server, bandwidth? where do you get the data?

I just said if Viz is serious, they can get all the tiles back and CR will not have many anime to stream.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

that's why i said, they are not doing stream. lol I don't remember who said viz is doing stream business. I never said they will be better off or make more money.

I don't have MBA in business. I don't know if they will make money of not. I don't have any data. I don't know how much it cost to stream 1 eps of naruto. I do know it doesn't cost CR that much money to stream anime or Funimation to stream them. indefinite money drain on server, bandwidth? where do you get the data?

I just said if Viz is serious, they can get all the tiles back and CR will not have many anime to stream.

Other than a few large titles, and the occasional oddball, Viz isn't particularly interested in anime. Their main business is manga. They're concerned with profits, something streaming doesn't have a lot of yet. I don't think anyone needs to worry.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

When you said that Viz could easily get the rights, you implied that Viz could make more money streaming the videos than the current streaming licensees.

After all, its not like the owners of Viz have sole rights to the anime. For one thing, rights in manga publishing are unbundled, so the mangaka has a seat at the table as well. The lead broadcaster in the broadcaster pool also has a seat at the table. The merchandiser has a seat at the table.

The owners of Viz would have to make an argument to the rest of the production committees that handing the license to Viz would make everyone more money.

Spotlesseden wrote:
... I just said if Viz is serious, they can get all the tiles back and CR will not have many anime to stream.

Except where are those pre-prime-time anime broadcast? You seem to be forgetting that TV Tokyo owns a stake in Crunchyroll.

Speculating how easy it would be for Viz to take away Crunchyroll's line-up of TV Tokyo pre-prime-time Shonen Jump anime ignores how Crunchyroll got the series in the first place. Viz's owners have a much bigger interest in not ticking off TV Tokyo than they do in trying to "take over" the competitive, low margin, high risk North American streaming market.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Other than a few large titles, and the occasional oddball, Viz isn't particularly interested in anime. Their main business is manga. They're concerned with profits, something streaming doesn't have a lot of yet. I don't think anyone needs to worry.

... and the deals on Naruto and Bleach seem to see Crunchyroll paying Viz to subtitle the series, and then Viz getting to use the subtitles and share seasonal streaming rights after Crunchyroll has a week of premium member streaming. They do their streaming on Hulu, so they don't have to worry about selling ads or paying bandwidth costs.

Getting paid to subtitle your own series and having other parties carry almost all the financial risks of streaming ~ that's got to be a pretty good deal from their perspective. They'd be silly to upset that apple cart.

Last edited by agila61 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this show too.

I really wish VIZ hadn't picked it up and instead Funi or Bandai did. Because then I'd actually a) be able to watch the show and b) actually find the DVDs.

Viz needs to use another player at least. Freaking hate Hulu and it's "US-only" policy.

The title change is really pointless too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2