• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli DVDs Bumped to 2005

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberTai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
What is talking these DVDs so long to be released?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
dammit! stupid disney!
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
This sucks Mad .
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Eisner is making these DVDs "talk" long to come out. The big guys at Disney can't stop at making it near impossible to see Spirited Away in theaters when it was in them, they don't think it's profitable enough to realease these niche' market DVDs. I've been hating Disney ever since the Disney family stopped running it. Disney used to make good films, but now they are all rehashed carbon copies and more than half are awful direct to video sequels.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Had Columbia/Tristar or Dreamworks licensed Spirited Away, it would have been on 1/10th of the number of screens Disney put it on in the initial release. For a niche anime film, it got good distribution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote
this really sucks.. Crying or Very sad

Well as long as they are of great quality and do come out I guess
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
It is frustrating waiting on Disney but there is not much we can do that will make Disney release them sooner. Obviously Disney has other plans on what to do with them. Hopefully we'll get something extra from Disney when the time comes. Twisted Evil
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
God damn your Eisner and your corporate thinking. You're making millions of children cry because you destroyed the animation studios and making millions (we number in the millions, right... I hope so by now) cry by delaying these DVDs. Somebody please tear him down from his pedestal!!!

Quote:
Hopefully we'll get something extra from Disney when the time comes.

Probably not.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Let's see...2005...that would be around when Howl's Moving Castle would be coming out on video, right? That's the time when the general public's interest in that Miyazaki fellow would be at its peak, since most of them probably wouldn't see it in theaters. Makes sense to me.

Not that it isn't annoying, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kerensky97

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:45 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that Pixar and Disney are splitting. Since all the previous Ghibli DVDs start out with an intro from John Lasseter of Pixar I'm thinking he's been the one that's been lighting the fire under Disney's a** to get the movies over to the US.

Now that Pixar is giving Disney the heave ho Eisner may not care about Studio Ghibli anymore. It would make sense since Disney has never enjoyed being upstaged, even when they own the US rights to what they distribute.

And you only have to compare any Ghibli movie to a Disney movie to realize that Disney lacks their own imagination. Everybody says, "but what about the Lion King? It was good." But Lion king is just a animal version of Hamlet with a happier ending. And all the other good Disney movies are based of old fairytales.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:58 am Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:
I think Eisner is making these DVDs "talk" long to come out. The big guys at Disney can't stop at making it near impossible to see Spirited Away in theaters when it was in them, they don't think it's profitable enough to realease these niche' market DVDs. I've been hating Disney ever since the Disney family stopped running it. Disney used to make good films, but now they are all rehashed carbon copies and more than half are awful direct to video sequels.

I think you left your tin hat at home.

Eisner has nothing to do with it, nor does he really care. Could be anything really. Could be they couldnt get the dubbing done in time, or that Ghibli haven't sent over proper something, or many other things.
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kerensky97 wrote:
Everybody says, "but what about the Lion King? It was good." But Lion king is just a animal version of Hamlet with a happier ending. And all the other good Disney movies are based of old fairytales.

Actually, 'The Lion King' is based on Osamu Tezuka's 'Kimba The White Lion', which in turn is based on Shakespeare's Hamlet (which is based on an old Norse legend).
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kerensky97 wrote:
And you only have to compare any Ghibli movie to a Disney movie to realize that Disney lacks their own imagination. Everybody says, "but what about the Lion King? It was good." But Lion king is just a animal version of Hamlet with a happier ending. And all the other good Disney movies are based of old fairytales.

Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp...stop me when I come across an old fairytale. Besides, Ghibli has its own share of adaptations (Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, etc), so if you condemn Snow White and Pinocchio, you're going to have to condemn those, too.

Quote:
Actually, 'The Lion King' is based on Osamu Tezuka's 'Kimba The White Lion', which in turn is based on Shakespeare's Hamlet (which is based on an old Norse legend).

The Lion King is a ripoff of the Skjoldunga Saga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kerensky97

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jfrog"]Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp...stop me when I come across an old fairytale. Besides, Ghibli has its own share of adaptations (Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, etc), so if you condemn Snow White and Pinocchio, you're going to have to condemn those, too.

Disney did have a good imagination for making interesting movies back in the day and they still come out with original pieces now; they just suck nowadays. Disney lost it's edge a couple decadse ago, compare their modern works to Ghibli and it's no contest.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:09 am Reply with quote
Tenchi: If Sony or DW released Spirited Away, they'd expand the number of theaters for the film when it made money.

Kerensky: I always thought Lion King ripped off Bambi myself.

Steve: Despite a shareholders' revolt, Eisner still has everything to do with how Disney is run. (See Farenheit 9/11.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2