• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
misc. questions and error reports

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
Hey I just watched Gits SAC 2nd gig 1-26 episodes all in raw, but there is no title in the encyclopedia. Please add the title.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:
Hey I just watched Gits SAC 2nd gig 1-26 episodes all in raw, but there is no title in the encyclopedia. Please add the title.

It's listed under Stand-Alone Complex as a second season. It's in there, and Ghost in the Shell is regarded as a 52-episode series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
This isn't a suggestion, but a question. How can you know if your anime that you added will be put in the encyclopedia? I mean, I added a new anime to the encyclopedia with a link and all, and I just want to know if it will be submitted or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Inu_Yasha_jr. wrote:
This isn't a suggestion, but a question. How can you know if your anime that you added will be put in the encyclopedia? I mean, I added a new anime to the encyclopedia with a link and all, and I just want to know if it will be submitted or not.

You'll recieve a private message if the title you've submitted is accepted. It takes a while and your entry may not make it in, even for most titles, so don't hold your breath. Remember those in charge of the encyclopedia are quite busy, so keep up the good work and in a few weeks you might get a pleasant PM surprise informing you of its acceptance.
Ryo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
your entry may not make it in

Why wouldn't it?
I mean, if it really is a new anime/manga serie, I see no reason why it shouldn't be added. Are there other requirements?
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
You'll recieve a private message if the title you've submitted is accepted. It takes a while and your entry may not make it in, even for most titles, so don't hold your breath. Remember those in charge of the encyclopedia are quite busy, so keep up the good work and in a few weeks you might get a pleasant PM surprise informing you of its acceptance.
Alright. I definitely know that what I entered IS an anime but meant for the US production, so I wanted to add it to "Not Anime but related" but I couldn't. I provided a link and all, so I don't see why they would not take it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Inu_Yasha_jr. wrote:
]Alright. I definitely know that what I entered IS an anime but meant for the US production, so I wanted to add it to "Not Anime but related" but I couldn't. I provided a link and all, so I don't see why they would not take it.

Yeah, pretty much just give it time. The first title I submitted to the Encyclopedia took quite literally about 2 months to be added.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryo wrote:
quincyarcher wrote:
your entry may not make it in

Why wouldn't it?

Sometimes it's an alternative spelling (Hepburn/Kunrei-shiki, abbreviation, different languages, etc.) or misspelling of a title which is either already in the Encyclopedia or has been submitted by another user.

My apologies for being way behind schedule Embarassed , particularly to quincyarcher, who has submitted several times more manga pending for approval than all other users combined. Shocked

For "Not Anime but related" part Inu_Yasha_jr. mentioned/submitted, it's even trickier, for we have to decide whether it is suitable for the Encyclopedia. In your case, however, I'm afraid not, for Japanese only handled its animation, much like the way many US cartoon were outsourced to Japan decades ago and many anime are outsourced to Korea and China today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I get what you're saying. I just thought it was like a situation like "Yu-Gi-Oh" the US movie. The producers wanted Japanese to animate it like the TV series and I thought that was the situation with "The Last Unicorn" as well. But I can see where you're going with the whole Chinese/Korean thing. Most cartoons here in the US are animated by Korean or Chinese people.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Nimbus wrote:
Not really a suggestion but more of a complain. Razz
I added several manga titles to the database about months ago, and some weeks ago. And still they weren't added. They're valid and when I try to add them again it says that you already have the exact same data>
I was wondering what the hol up is. I provided valid links to check it... I really wanna add them to my manga list...

It takes a while. I've submitted many titles and I'm sure there are many users who have done the same. There's a lot of work to be done on the site, so I'm sure they're getting to it.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
I have a suggestion to do with the rating system. Unless I’m wrong (and I definitely could be), ratings by people who have "seen some" or "will not finish" count the same as people who enter ratings for anime listed in their "seen all" section of "My Anime."
I really think the ratings from people who have not seen the entire anime should not count as much as ratings from people who have seen the whole thing. Some series start out great, but then their quality worsens over the course of the series. People who have only seen some of the anime might give it a really high rating, because they didn’t get a chance to see the bad parts that only came later in the series. Also, some series start out terribly, but greatly improve over time. Someone who had only seen the awful beginning might give a good anime a bad rating, just because they didn’t stick around long enough to see how good it really was. If someone rates it, but hasn’t seen the whole series, I think their rating should only count for half as much as someone who has seen the whole thing. Just a thought.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
I have a suggestion to do with the rating system. Unless I’m wrong (and I definitely could be), ratings by people who have "seen some" or "will not finish" count the same as people who enter ratings for anime listed in their "seen all" section of "My Anime."
I really think the ratings from people who have not seen the entire anime should not count as much as ratings from people who have seen the whole thing. Some series start out great, but then their quality worsens over the course of the series. People who have only seen some of the anime might give it a really high rating, because they didn’t get a chance to see the bad parts that only came later in the series. Also, some series start out terribly, but greatly improve over time. Someone who had only seen the awful beginning might give a good anime a bad rating, just because they didn’t stick around long enough to see how good it really was. If someone rates it, but hasn’t seen the whole series, I think their rating should only count for half as much as someone who has seen the whole thing. Just a thought.

I agree with that in principle, but it begins to become really sticky if you start drawing lines like that. Maybe I saw 40 episodes of a 52 episode series, and some other guy saw three episodes of the same. By the same logic that a seen all should count more than a seen some, my 40 episodes opinion should count more than his three, but the encyclopedia isn't set up to take something like that into account. And how would you draw the lines? Would a seen all for that series count as a full point, while 40 episodes would count for 40/52 of a point, and three episodes for 3/52? That seems like it'd probably require a huge overhaul of the encyclopedia system for only marginal benefit.

I guess the easiest way would be for seen some to count half as much as seen all, but "seen some" really doesn't tell much of the story, and with the huge range that exists in "seen some," it seems like the overall effect would go one of two ways: either, the score wouldn't change much anyway, or scores on some shows would be tremendously inflated. For example, if you start counting the seen somes as less than the seen alls, I'm willing to bet Dragon Ball suddenly becomes one of the better-ranked shows on the site, because only the people who really love it are willing to watch all 153 episodes of it (or all 291, if we're talking about DBZ). Most people are familiar enough with the show to know how they feel about it, but the vast majority of those opinions that are dragging its rating down are based on not seen somes. If you don't count those as much, its rating will shoot up, probably higher than it deserves to be.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Another idea I had was to block the voting on a series until after it's finished it's run, or a significant chunk of it. Votes showing up after a 3 episodes or less of a series are likely to be vastly different from somebody who's actually finished the series.
LadySumire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
How do we request that a title be added to the encyclopedia? For example CLAMP no Kiseki is missing from the manga encyclopedia, how would we go about getting it added?
patch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
LadySumire wrote:
How do we request that a title be added to the encyclopedia? For example CLAMP no Kiseki is missing from the manga encyclopedia, how would we go about getting it added?

There is an add an anime link on the main encyclopedia page.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15