• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
misc. questions and error reports

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadySumire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
There is an add an anime link on the main encyclopedia page.

Completely missed that, thanks.
Goras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
To make the 'Recently added titles' not static (it only displays x amount of titles), being able to see further by clicking in some sort of next page link of entring the date range
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Goras wrote:
To make the 'Recently added titles' not static (it only displays x amount of titles), being able to see further by clicking in some sort of next page link of entring the date range

Default value is 100. Change it by adding ?n=X (X being the number you want) at the end of URL, after recently-added.php. For example, click the following link for the most recently added 300 titles:

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/recently-added.php?n=300
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Goras wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/recently-added.php?n=500

Change n as you wish.

edit: Beat!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Completely OT:

Samurai CDZ wrote:

Sorry, I should have let Alpha-san help Kokone-chan. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Goras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Completely OT:

Samurai CDZ wrote:

Sorry, I should have let Alpha-san help Kokone-chan. Anime smile

Doumo Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Default value is 100. Change it by adding ?n=X (X being the number you want) at the end of URL, after recently-added.php. For example, click the following link for the most recently added 300 titles:

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/recently-added.php?n=300

Wow, I didn't think that easter egg would be found so fast! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I've been battling with the entry form for the EDITED dubbie titles for Rave Master with no luck. At the end I resigned leaving it so that there's an ugly white spot on the japanese episode titles.

I'm not the only confused one. Look at the episode titles yourself and try to make sense out of it:

anime#1784

We really must improve and make edited dubbie titles more easy to add. At Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Masters they simply fused the dubbie title along with the japanese title. Doesn't make too much sense, but it sure looks "cleaner" than Rave Master.

Edited episode title instructions really should be clearer for people like me that only wants to enter the dubbie title and not repeat the original japanese episode title.
Mushiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
A small suggestion: In My Anime, it would be nice to be able to list the titles also in the rating order and not just in alphabetical order. This way it would be easier to compare and adjust the ratings.

---
I'd also like to request the addition of a Finnish language option, both in My Anime (version I saw) and in Encyclopedia (alternative title, company). I'm aware of the 'Chinese'-discussion and so forth, though, so if this is something that will have to wait until future versions of the Encyclopedia, no problem. Perhaps at least in My Anime, an "other" laguage option would be a good catch-all?

Related to this, if I wish to add Finnish alternative titles now, how should I label them, since the "language" drop-down has no "other" alternative? Or is it preferable that I do not attempt to add titles in languages that are not supported? (Mainly an issue with older children's cartoons.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Mushiko wrote:
Or is it preferable that I do not attempt to add titles in languages that are not supported?

There you go. Now you know how I feel...

I even took down Chinese titles (submitted as English ones, for there's no parentheses and "English") and then pursuaded users submitting them to be patient for now.
Mushiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Mushiko wrote:
Or is it preferable that I do not attempt to add titles in languages that are not supported?

There you go. Now you know how I feel...

I even took down Chinese titles (submitted as English ones, for there's no parentheses and "English") and then pursuaded users submitting them to be patient for now.

Ahh. OK. I've seen some Finnish titles in the Encyclopedia (obviously without the 'Finnish' tag), so I thought it might be possible. If it is a 'rather not' case, I'll refrain from adding them for now.

As I said, I was mainly considering the older cartoons, which a) most don't even know that they were Japanese (usually co-produced, though) and b) are almost impossible to find without knowledge of alternative names, since the Finnish names tend to be very different. I've bumped into quite a few childhood favorites here, completely by chance, in an "OMG, was that anime too?!" fashion. And then there are the Ghibli films...

...but compared to the "Chinese problem", I guess ours is a rather insignificant one. I really feel your pain. Sad And I'll be patient.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
When writing names, "western" people use to enter given name - family name. This is also used in ANN for manga authors.
For Japanese people, I have the impression that this naming convention is fairly good followed. Some people tell me that in Japan, they give their name as family name - given name but this is changed in ANN for the logic.

Concerning Korean manhwa, this is a complete mess. Sad Many korean people have a double given name, separated by a space (and not a dash !). Sometimes you find double entries from the same person with or without dash (e.g. Sang-Jin Park in stead of Sang Jin Park) and but also without space (e.g. EunKyung Kim in stead of Eun Kyung Kim).
Last but not least, there are double entries with the names switched (e.g. Kim Ji-Eun in stead of Ji Eun Kim).

I suppose the first/last name switch will be indicated if people try to enter a name which is already in the database. If not, can this be possible ?
Also, would it be possible to make the system correct entries where dashes are placed mistakenly ? Automatically wiping the dash would not be a solution, as there exist Western double given names (Anna-Maria, Jean-Paul, etc.), but at least for typing dashes where the correct name is already in the database, it might prevent tens of double entries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
For Japanese people, I have the impression that this naming convention is fairly good followed. Some people tell me that in Japan, they give their name as family name - given name but this is changed in ANN for the logic.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=123351#123351

The Japanese name order is changed in any English document or publication.

woelfie wrote:
Concerning Korean manhwa, this is a complete mess. Sad Many korean people have a double given name, separated by a space (and not a dash !).

Having a dash / hyphen can make things much easier for Westerners to understand. With the internationalization of manhwa, Korea is experiencing what Japan experienced ten years ago: a complete mess of romanization due to lacking an unified standard. I'd support the idea of using dashes because that's how it has been done in scientific publications for decades.

If you visit recent anime websites, many of which have list character names with proper romanization with "first LAST" order. On the other hand, never expect older titles providing such information; it would be kind enough if there's furigana beside each name.

woelfie wrote:
I suppose the first/last name switch will be indicated if people try to enter a name which is already in the database. If not, can this be possible ?

The system gives warnings if an user seems to confused the name order. However, some people just don't read. Rolling Eyes

woelfie wrote:
Also, would it be possible to make the system correct entries where dashes are placed mistakenly ?

I strongly oppose this idea. As shown in your example of Western two-part given names (e.g. Anna-Maria and Jean-Paul), the second part of the first name could be easily misidentified as a middle name. I HATE it when people write my name in that manner.

woelfie wrote:
it might prevent tens of double entries.

The best way would be forfeiting the submission privilege of those who can't even tell family name and given name aprt. Twisted Evil

Okay, I know it would not be possible. Just kidding.

With more and more Korean and even Chinese names appear in staff lists (especially in In-Between Animation), ANN might need a special submission policy for those names.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
woelfie wrote:
Concerning Korean manhwa, this is a complete mess. Sad Many korean people have a double given name, separated by a space (and not a dash !).

Having a dash / hyphen can make things much easier for Westerners to understand. With the internationalization of manhwa, Korea is experiencing what Japan experienced ten years ago: a complete mess of romanization due to lacking an unified standard. I'd support the idea of using dashes because that's how it has been done in scientific publications for decades.

Oh, I can live with that. I just wanted to point out that officially there's no hyphen, but indeed, it's easier to understand. I'll make sure I use the system you pointed out (sorry I missed that post). After all, it's your database. Wink

dormcat wrote:
The system gives warnings if an user seems to confused the name order. However, some people just don't read. Rolling Eyes

So missing the previous "naming" topic wasn't that bad. Smile At least I read the Forum "announcements & rules".

dormcat wrote:
woelfie wrote:
Also, would it be possible to make the system correct entries where dashes are placed mistakenly ?

I strongly oppose this idea. As shown in your example of Western two-part given names (e.g. Anna-Maria and Jean-Paul), the second part of the first name could be easily misidentified as a middle name. I HATE it when people write my name in that manner.

I know what you're talking about (my wife is korean). I withdraw my request.

New proposal : you woudn't mind that I submit "wrong" entries (i.e. wrong naming order or without space/hyphen) when I discover them ? Do you think I should also correct entries with spaces to hyphenated names ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
I just wanted to point out that officially there's no hyphen (...) I know what you're talking about (my wife is korean).

That's different from what I have learned. However, I may be wrong on this, so please give me some time to investigate.

woelfie wrote:
New proposal : you woudn't mind that I submit "wrong" entries (i.e. wrong naming order or without space/hyphen) when I discover them ? Do you think I should also correct entries with spaces to hyphenated names ?

Let's wait a while and allow me to discuss with other staff and clear things up, 'kay? Wink
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15