• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins:Gate plot holes and inconsistencies? [Spoilerific]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hipnox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
WARNING: This thread will discuss events and points in the series up to episode 24.
If you haven't seen the entire series, don't read this thread.

(I didn't post this in the S:G thread because i felt it could have its own thread.)

Hello,

I just finished watching Steins:Gate a few days ago. Its a pretty good Sci-Fi series and
its as convoluted as it gets for time travel stories. Unfortunately I didn't get
everything that happened and left me confused from time to time. It could be that I
missed some explanation or detail, or it could very well be an inconsistency/plothole.

I would like to discuss some points with the community to see if we can clear them up.

#1: The first D-Mail:

On the first Episode, Okarin sends an SMS to Daru telling him Makise Kurisu had been
stabbed. This message travels back in time (6 days i think). Daru explained that his
phone was connected to the Phone microwave at that time. But didn't we learn that
the door of the microwave had to be open in order to send a D-mail? And didn't the lab
members learn this on episode 3? They never opened the door before, so, how did that
message go back in time anyway?

#2: The IBN 5100 and the first D-Mail:

For what i understand, the IBN 5100, being extremely old, uses its own proprietary
language that is similar or the same as the one used by SERN, which in turn allows
the lab members to hack into SERN. Fair enough.

By the end of the series the IBN is needed to erase some entry or data in SERN
regarding the first D-Mail. Apparently, erasing said data will prevent SERN from knowing
about the first D-mail and the lab, thus changing the future to one where SERN doesn't kill Mayuri. This in
turn will also mean Makise Kurisu will die as Okarin's sms to Daru will not cause
world lines to change.

That's all fine and well but, how will deleting a data entry in the present change the
past? The IBN is not connected to the phone microwave and they certainly are not
deleting the entry in the past, so how does that work? Why didn't he just send a D-Mail
to Daru telling him to unplug his cellphone form the phone microwave? That way Okarins
D-mail would just be a regular SMS?

#3: Okarin killing Makise:

In a rather interesting yet not totally surprising plot point, the series reveals that
the person who killed Makise in the first Beta world line (the world line at the start
of EP1, where Okarin 1.0 sees the body) was Okarin 2.0 from the future. This of course
was meant to happen and as such did not change world lines. This means Okarin has to go
back AGAIN if he wants to save Makise.

The problem is, if Okarin 1.0 was meant to see the body and Okarin 2.0 was meant to be
the killer, then as Okarin 3.0 comes back in time for a second try... That means there
should be 3 Okarins, not 2!!! Okarin 2.0 is no longer in the world line, and this
doesn't make any sense. He is part of the world line. He needs to be there. Then why
isn't he there?

#4: Saving Makise:

This to me is the mother of all plotholes. Unless there's a catch im not seeing, this
makes absolutely no sense.

So technically, to prevent WW3 Okarin needs to both nullify his first D-Mail and save
Makise. This is a very weak plot device in and of itself, just tossed there to give the
series a happy ending. The series could very well end in EP 22 and i'd be fine with it,
but i digress.

So, Okarin 3.0 creates a scene for Okarin 1.0 to see. In this scene he sees a dead
Makise just like in the Beta world line, only this Makise is stunned, not killed.

That's all fine and well but..... does it matter if Makise is dead or alive? Okarin 1.0
will see the "corpse", will send an D-Mail to Daru which in turn will set in motion
everything we have seen for the past 22 episodes. This doesn't change anything because
whether Makise is alive or dead has no bearing on the fact that Okarin will still send
that first D-Mail.

The only way i could see this working is that, since Okarin is comming from a future
where SERN's record of the first D-mail has been erased (see #2), Okarins D-mail will
have no impact on the world, hence Makise will survive and the D-mail will not take
effect.

Then if that where the case, why did Okarin 3.0 say to Okarin 1.0 "You're about to
begin the longest 3 weeks of your life"? Those weeks of conflict will never come
acording the this world line, because the first D-mail (the one that causes SERN
to attack) will not work and Makise survived.

This single line form Okarin 3.0 makes no sense.

So those are my grunges with the series. If anyone has some light to shine on some
of these it would be wonderful.

Last edited by hipnox on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Also, time travel.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
It could be that I missed some explanation or detail, or it could very well be an inconsistency/plothole.

There's no such thing as a perfect time travel story. By its very nature, they're already a "plothole" because they create an infinite loop to a third party observer to those involved.

It's impossible to change the events of the past without affecting the events of the future, which is where the "plothole" lies because the current time of events is the future.

Yet, screenwriters never consider this for some reason.

I'll do my best to answer some of your questions based on this "logic".

#1:
The satellite, not the microwave, sent the first d-mail.

#2:
The IBN wasn't used to hack the servers, but instead, older files stored on those servers. It was the only machine to read them. The "hack" was an issue because the IBN didn't have the necessary components to network in.

The data deletion had nothing to do with the past, as far as I remember.

#3:
Time travel logic. Accept it.

#4:
Okay, this is probably going to come out of nowhere, but I personally didn't see the story told from Okarin's point of view, but of Suzuha. Remember, all these events started when the time machine crashed, and it's of my belief she restored the timelines by making Okarin believe he was the one doing it.

From the offset, Suzuha was on a mission, and she seemed very content when her mission was completed, leaving the rest of the current timeline to unfold itself by "resetting" itself, though at this point, it didn't matter.

I suspect this story isn't over, but again, that's just my take on it.

Thus, I didn't take the "ending" to be one. Razz
hipnox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Added a new one. Just a minor nuisance. nothing more

#5: The crashed Timemachine:

I fail to see how that thing, which crashed on top of a building in the middle of a highly populated area, went so unnoticed by the scientific community, governments and the military.

If it where a satellite, it would have burned during the atmosphere entry. It would not have ended so completely unscathed. An object of that size falling from the sky would've annihilated the entire block, killing hundreds. No government took responsibility for the "satellite" either.

It's very clear that under no circumstances that thing is a satellite. Then how is it possible that it was simply left there to rot? where are the team of scientists? where's NASA, the military? anyone? some unknown mechanical object fell from the sky and you are just going to leave it there in an abandoned building?

no. that doesn't happen.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

There's no such thing as a perfect time travel story. By its very nature, they're already a "plothole" because they create an infinite loop to a third party observer to those involved.

It's impossible to change the events of the past without affecting the events of the future, which is where the "plothole" lies because the current time of events is the future.

Yet, screenwriters never consider this for some reason.

I'm not sure about that one. I guess it depends on one's view on how time (and the universe) works.

One may believe there is one 1 "world line" and that time is already written, which means every attempt to change it will automatically "fail" (by that i mean that those attempts are responsible for the present state of time)

It's like saying that the Machine's attempt to kill John Connor in the past was futile from the beginning, because the fact that the future its as it is means they had to fail. Its subjective and purely speculative.

The series presents us with a universe in which time can be changed by interfering with the past. The consciousness of each person jumps from one world line to the other without them noticing (much like getting biblically stoned and s*** faced on a Saturday night party. Your did make out with that hot chick, but no one remembers it. like it never happened.)

In this universe, things and even information (the D-mails) will pop into existence form a future that technically will not happen, because that D-mail itself will prevent it from happening.

I would not consider it a plothole in and of itself because our limited understanding of how the universe works is so small that its pretty much like discussing whether there is a God or not.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

#1:
The satellite, not the microwave, sent the first d-mail.

I don't think so. Daru explicitly said he had his Cell phone connected to the phone microwave (EP1 elevator scene, near the end) and Okabe sent the sms to Daru. We also see that the D-mail arrived to Daru's Cellphone 6 days in the past

PetrifiedJello wrote:

#2:
The IBN wasn't used to hack the servers, but instead, older files stored on those servers. It was the only machine to read them. The "hack" was an issue because the IBN didn't have the necessary components to network in.

The data deletion had nothing to do with the past, as far as I remember.

Actually, it did. At the end of Ep22, when Okabe deletes the files, he travels to another world line (we even see his Reading Steiner activating) where Makise is already dead.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

#3:
Time travel logic. Accept it.

I still call plot hole on that one.

Goes back in time, sees other self, doesn't change anything, returns. As far as i know, there should be 3 Okarins if he goes back again.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

#4:
Okay, this is probably going to come out of nowhere, but I personally didn't see the story told from Okarin's point of view, but of Suzuha. Remember, all these events started when the time machine crashed, and it's of my belief she restored the timelines by making Okarin believe he was the one doing it.

From the offset, Suzuha was on a mission, and she seemed very content when her mission was completed, leaving the rest of the current timeline to unfold itself by "resetting" itself, though at this point, it didn't matter.

I suspect this story isn't over, but again, that's just my take on it.

Thus, I didn't take the "ending" to be one. Razz

mmmh, but i didn't get that impression at all, but interesting point of view nonetheless.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
For #4

Because each worldline is different, the worldline they got to before the S;G line is the one from right after Okabe sends the first D-mail.

The world were older!Okabe's whole goal in life is to build a time machine and somehow save Kurisu. It's explained in the VN a bit better along with one of the mangas.

But the whole idea about needing to see Kurisu "dead" is because you might think it because you only got a short look and ran off. Tricking someone in to believing those were the real events even if it isn't true. It's the whole "I saw this happen" and another person seeing the same thing but having a different view on it.

For #5

Not every timeline has it crashing, plus after Suzuha's eps in the anime and after her route in the VN it's no longer there. Suzuha dressed up and somehow tricked the police in to just taping off the area.

Anyway the VN has more info about time travel and how exactly it works. The anime cut a good chunk of the explanation because the VN has at least two chps just about how they build everything and Kurisu explaining things.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand the VN has a lot more details, though as I have not played it I cannot say for sure. Anyways, based on watching the anime, here are my answers.

I believe it was said that Daru was running some experiments when the first D-mail was sent, but we never learned in detail what he did. Perhaps he opened the door.

Here's how I see it. The first D-mail went back a week in time, yet Daru thought it was spam, and so it didn't alter his behavior at all. So why did the world line change? Because SERN detected the D-mail and it helped them progress in their own time travel experiments. And presumably, some of SERN's own time travel experiments altered the past further.

So what saved Makise from being stabbed was not the D-mail itself, it was whatever experiments SERN did that changed the past. This is evident by the fact that one version of Makise has invented a time machine, yet another is convinced that it is impossible. Clearly sending a mail one week into the past could not have altered her life so much. Whatever experiments SERN did with their time machine altered the past much further.

By hacking SERN and deleting the data related to the D-mail, SERN would fail to build a working time machine. Thus, they would not alter the past, and Makise would die.

Putting this aside for now, as physical time travel is only really dealt with late in the series and so there's not as much to go on when speculating.

Here's how I see it.

First world line: Makise dies, World War 3 occurs. Before World War 3 can happen we go from there to the second word line when Okabe sends the D-mail.

Second world line: SERN takes over the world because they learn how to build a time machine from Okabe's D-mail. After a bunch of stuff happens, Okabe hacks SERN and they fail to build a time machine. We return to the previous world line, in this case the first world line.

First world line: Makise dies, World War 3 occurs. Okabe builds a time machine to save Makise and stop World War 3. He succeeds, and we go to the next world line.

Third world line: Makise lives, but it seems like she died. World War 3 never happens. In the past, Okabe still sent the D-mail. But since the net result of that D-mail was nothing, simply a return to the current World Line, everything is good.

No answer to this, other than possibly ninjapet's answer that she tricked the police. Perhaps she convinced the authorities that it was a hoax or something.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
I've read a lot of science fiction, and it all runs together, but this is how I see the Steins;Gate world. Time paradoxes are prevented by an effect similar to things like Copenhagen interpretation and wavefunction collapse. Basically, observing certain events causes the wavefuction to collapse, and the quantum probabilities become fixed. For example, seeing Mayushii's death collapsed the waveform, and the probability of her death was then fixed in the alpha world line, which is why Okarin couldn't reverse it without moving world lines.

Okay, this one confused me too, but I believe the aptly named Mad_Scientist is correct here. And it was necessary from a plot perspective: Everyone else sacrificed something very important to them to save Mayushii, so Okarin had to too.

A possible solution. First, if Makise's death is quantum fixed in the beta world line (or not, see #4), then she will be stabbed regardless of Okarin's actions. So in the first episode, she is stabbed by her father, and the second time around by Okarin. Who stabs her is not important, only that she is stabbed. Now, when Okarin travels back the first time, he travels to a world a few decimal points away. In this world he stabs her, and it has no effect on the future. When he travels the second time, he travels to a different world only a few decimals away -- but not the same one he when back in time to, so there is no second Okarin.

#4 This is how I saw it. Future Okarin was quite literally the future of Okarin, the Okarin that did all the time travel. He had full knowledge of all that had transpired in the alpha world line. This is how he knew about those "Longest three weeks". Okarin's memory of event's constant and linear throughout the story, even if time is not. So when Okarin returns to the beta time line, he spends years trying to build a time machine, succeeds, and sends Suzuha back to save Christina, and prevent WW3. But he can't just save her, because her death is quantum fixed -- except it is not! What is quantum fixed is his younger self seeing the body! So by faking her death, he save her without moving back to the alpha world line and having to sacrifice Mayushii.

And as for #5, I just chalked it up to the stunning incompetence of the Japanese Bureaucracy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't start nitpicking Steins; Gate until I've seen the movie coming out next year, which I thought is supposed to be a sequel. For all we know it could clear up some of that.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
One question from me that I never got- I remember we discussed in back in the thread but no one found an answer.

Feyris kidnapping and the missing computer.

So from Feyris's dad we found out that he had to sell the computer to pay for her ransom when she was kidnapped (which is why he came back home and did not die in a crash).

Then we find out that it was Feyris herself who sent a message to her dad that she was kidnapped and asked for a ransom.

So- who was it that bought the computer and how come Feyris's dad did not figure out he was tricked by a teenage girl?
Montadar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

A possible solution. First, if Makise's death is quantum fixed in the beta world line (or not, see #4), then she will be stabbed regardless of Okarin's actions. So in the first episode, she is stabbed by her father, and the second time around by Okarin. Who stabs her is not important, only that she is stabbed. Now, when Okarin travels back the first time, he travels to a world a few decimal points away. In this world he stabs her, and it has no effect on the future. When he travels the second time, he travels to a different world only a few decimals away -- but not the same one he when back in time to, so there is no second Okarin.

No! she was stabbed by Okarin himself! check episode 1 again, Okarin rushes up because he hears a scream, guess who's voice was it ? it might be possible that Him killed her is quantum fixed you can rewatch it to make sure.

Okarin 2.0 goes to the same beta worldline that Okarin 1.0 at episode one sees.

Also about the Okarin 3.0, if you watch the last episode carefully, you will notice that few little details were different that the previous one with Okarin 2.0, like the prof saying "I see, so you both are ruining my conference all along" instead "you are ruining my conference all along" you can check that also at the final episode.

btw there are several (more than 2) proofs that there actually is an Okarin 3.0 who came from the future (possibly 2025) to beta worldline, and I think I will make a new thread about it.
PewPewSauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
First off, this was a wonderful anime. I enjoyed it a lot, compared to other sci-fi animes. The plot was fantastic and I loved most of the characters.

One of the main things I didn't understand was how the first DMAIL triggered the world line change. When Okabe sent his email telling Daru that Mikase was stabbed, how did this change the world line? The other DMAILs had an important message that somehow altered the past. However, in this case, this DMAIL had no relevance to anything. I don't understand how it can alter the past in a way such that Mikase is still alive. How did the first DMAIL essentially change anything if the contents were practically irrelevant?

By the way, #3 was an obvious one for me. The way I saw it was, there's only 2 Okabes, Okabe 1.0 and 2.0. Now, in the original world line, the person who actually killed Mikase was her father. When Okabe 2.0 tried to stop it from happening, he killed her. It wasn't that the original killer was her Okabe 2.0, it was her father. Therefore, the future Okabe didn't run into the other future Okabe.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
PewPewSauce wrote:

One of the main things I didn't understand was how the first DMAIL triggered the world line change. When Okabe sent his email telling Daru that Mikase was stabbed, how did this change the world line? The other DMAILs had an important message that somehow altered the past. However, in this case, this DMAIL had no relevance to anything. I don't understand how it can alter the past in a way such that Mikase is still alive. How did the first DMAIL essentially change anything if the contents were practically irrelevant?

I addressed that in my post, but I'll address it again. From what I understand the D-mail didn't directly alter the past. But SERN detected it and learned new things about time travel. This allowed SERN to make big leaps in their time travel experiments and build a working time machine and take over the future.

But it seems that some of SERN's experiments in time travel were related to the past, and SERN themselves altered the past. The World Line change and Makise surviving were all the result of things SERN did.

That is why at the end, all they have to do is hack SERN and destroy the data. By doing that, SERN fails in their time travel experiments. Because of this, SERN never creates a dystopia, but SERN also fails to complete whatever experiments they did that altered the past. So the World Line goes back to how it was, and Makise is once again stabbed.

This is never specifically stated in the show, but it answers a few questions.

1) Why the D-mail stopped Makise from being stabbed, like you wondered.
2) Why a D-mail only sent back one week altered Makise's past to a far larger extent (One Makise doesn't believe in time travel, the other has created a time machine)
3) Why simply hacking SERN at the end is enough to alter the past.

If it is actually SERN that altered the past and changed the World Line, all those questions are answered.
hipnox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

That is why at the end, all they have to do is hack SERN and destroy the data. By doing that, SERN fails in their time travel experiments. Because of this, SERN never creates a dystopia, but SERN also fails to complete whatever experiments they did that altered the past. So the World Line goes back to how it was, and Makise is once again stabbed.

Actually, that could be considered a plothole in and of itself since it goes against everything the series taught us about how world lines work.

Here's your analisis (which seems to describe the events of the series accurately):

1# Dmail -> Picked up by SERN -> SERN experiments change the past -> Current timeline= Makise lives, dystopian future.

You are saying that deleting all information from SERN's database TODAY will prevent them from ever developing time travel IN THE FUTURE, which means they will never changing the PAST, thus changing to a worldline where makise dies and WW3 occurs

however im going to call plothole on that.

The current timeline, the one where makise lives and SERN eventually rules the world was created by past alterations coming from future SERN research. Stopping said research will in no way alter the current timeline, because the source of those alterations may very well be an entirely different worldline.

Allow me to explain with an example from the series itself. Ruka sent a message to her mother several years in the past in order to be born as a woman. the timeline will change to a new one where Ruka grows up to be a real girl. However, in this timeline, her mother will have received a beeper message from a future that will never happen (a future where Ruka is a guy). That message, and the series of events that caused it to exist belongs to another worldline. That message, that comes from a future that will not happen, is defining the current worldline yet nothing in said worldline will ever create that message that defines it. Nothing we do in this worldline will prevent the message form existing, because technically, it has no reason to exist.

This is true for SERN's past alteration research. The timeline in which makise lives was created by SERN, but even stopping SERN now will not cause the worldline to change. That past altering events come from another worldine and nothing we do in this wordline will change that.

This is the basic principle of every single Dmail in the entire series, in which its mere existence in a wordline's past garantees it's cause for existing will not happen in that worldline's future.

Therefore..... yeah... huge plothole there.

I still stand by the fact that the storyline and wordline shifting is too convoluted for its own good. this sort of inconsistencies where bound to happen
zktaichou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I've read a lot of science fiction, and it all runs together, but this is how I see the Steins;Gate world. Time paradoxes are prevented by an effect similar to things like Copenhagen interpretation and wavefunction collapse. Basically, observing certain events causes the wavefuction to collapse, and the quantum probabilities become fixed. For example, seeing Mayushii's death collapsed the waveform, and the probability of her death was then fixed in the alpha world line, which is why Okarin couldn't reverse it without moving world lines.

Okay, this one confused me too, but I believe the aptly named Mad_Scientist is correct here. And it was necessary from a plot perspective: Everyone else sacrificed something very important to them to save Mayushii, so Okarin had to too.

#4 This is how I saw it. Future Okarin was quite literally the future of Okarin, the Okarin that did all the time travel. He had full knowledge of all that had transpired in the alpha world line. This is how he knew about those "Longest three weeks". Okarin's memory of event's constant and linear throughout the story, even if time is not. So when Okarin returns to the beta time line, he spends years trying to build a time machine, succeeds, and sends Suzuha back to save Christina, and prevent WW3. But he can't just save her, because her death is quantum fixed -- except it is not! What is quantum fixed is his younger self seeing the body! So by faking her death, he save her without moving back to the alpha world line and having to sacrifice Mayushii.

And as for #5, I just chalked it up to the stunning incompetence of the Japanese Bureaucracy.

Just wondering why no one replied to this message. Maybe when some scientific and technical terms are used to explain the events, people with questions never seem to reply to these comments. I think this shows that some of you guys haven't done your homework enough.

As this is a time travel anime, maintaining an active mind throughout the series is a must to fully comprehend the series in its entirety. I didn't find much fault in it, which you guys call as plotholes. Much of the arguments I see here against very good explanations by Mad_Scientist are based on personal views on what defines a time travel science and the concept behind it (or personal interpretations of ideas by others). Basically, what I see here is a situation of not accepting other's explanation to maintain a constructive discussion revolving the presented explanations to come to a conclusion but rather, rebutting the explanations because it doesn't fit into your own logic, while failing to present a viable explanation yourself.

Besides, another point I would like to make is have any of you here who found plotholes in the anime have even bothered to read the VN in the first place? I'm taking an example from Tsukihime by Type-Moon. Many found that there are numerous plotholes within the anime, while a majority consensus was that the VN was much more satisfactory product than its anime counterpart. The reason for this is that in an anime, the amount of materials which can be inserted is limited, whereas the VN has everything in it. Those who only watched the anime will come up with all these 'plotholes', and thus, explanations will become as exhaustive as the case where a teacher tries to teach a student about trigonometry in detail, whereas the student have only read the condensed, digest version of the topic. This will obviously result in a confused student who didn't get all the answers presented, because the student did not do his homework and have the pre-requisite knowledge to understand the explanations presented.

So, read the VN first, try to get the needed information, and then try to resume the discussion. After all, an exchange of ideas between two parties will result in no constructive progress if one party have insufficient knowledge about the topic.
j4x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
zktaichou wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

Just wondering why no one replied to this message. Maybe when some scientific and technical terms are used to explain the events, people with questions never seem to reply to these comments. I think this shows that some of you guys haven't done your homework enough.

As this is a time travel anime, maintaining an active mind throughout the series is a must to fully comprehend the series in its entirety. I didn't find much fault in it, which you guys call as plotholes. Much of the arguments I see here against very good explanations by Mad_Scientist are based on personal views on what defines a time travel science and the concept behind it (or personal interpretations of ideas by others). Basically, what I see here is a situation of not accepting other's explanation to maintain a constructive discussion revolving the presented explanations to come to a conclusion but rather, rebutting the explanations because it doesn't fit into your own logic, while failing to present a viable explanation yourself.

Besides, another point I would like to make is have any of you here who found plotholes in the anime have even bothered to read the VN in the first place? I'm taking an example from Tsukihime by Type-Moon. Many found that there are numerous plotholes within the anime, while a majority consensus was that the VN was much more satisfactory product than its anime counterpart. The reason for this is that in an anime, the amount of materials which can be inserted is limited, whereas the VN has everything in it. Those who only watched the anime will come up with all these 'plotholes', and thus, explanations will become as exhaustive as the case where a teacher tries to teach a student about trigonometry in detail, whereas the student have only read the condensed, digest version of the topic. This will obviously result in a confused student who didn't get all the answers presented, because the student did not do his homework and have the pre-requisite knowledge to understand the explanations presented.

So, read the VN first, try to get the needed information, and then try to resume the discussion. After all, an exchange of ideas between two parties will result in no constructive progress if one party have insufficient knowledge about the topic.

Do you think he cares about that? Just because noone replied to his topic in ANN forums, Steins;Gate is now full of plotholes.

Last edited by j4x on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3