• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Escaflowne: the vision was lost when they made the movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Hawking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this. I LOVE vision of escaflowne, but yesterday I finally got the movie...IT WAS TERRIBLE! The voices were different, which is understandable, the characters were drawn differently, the storry line was totally off. And one other thing, alot of the lingo was different, like they weren't called guymelofs but they were called "armors". Just wanted to get that out and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same prob.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Nope. I think it's a stupid complaint. It seems to be pretty common knowledge at this point that A Girl in Gaea is nothing like the TV series, and it's actually a pretty good movie if you go in expecting it to be a completely different beast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mpchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I quite like the movie actually. It does feel a bit too compressed in the story, which made the characters rather undeveloped, but there are lots of great moments in it, with great music, animation. And I don't see it as a big deal of being a bit different from the TV series. In fact, most of the designs look a lot better & more detailed in the movie. Its just a very impressive visual piece with a so so story. But still quite enjoyable, especially on your second viewing, where you can be more aware of scenes where they insert to try helping to develop characters more. If only they have another 10 mins or so that devoted solely on Van & Hitomi's relationship in the middle, this could be a great movie, instead of being just a pretty good one.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It's a totally different story. There is not supposed to be any connection between the series and the movie. It's not a sequeal. So don't expect it to be one.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Jim Hawking wrote:
The voices were different, which is understandable, the characters were drawn differently, the storry line was totally off.

well I know they used the same japanese actors, so Ican't really see how the voices were all that different, except for Hitomi's voice since she was 15-16 while doing the tv series and about 20 while doing the movie.

and did you watch the extras on the disc? you know the one where they interviewed the creator and artists (they where the same for the series and the movie) who said they were taking a different direction with it?

I personally didn't like the movie as much as the series, but thought it was good and I really liked the fact they used the same staff and cast. It gives you an idea how the same people can make something different from what was original.
arkangel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Escaflowne movie tried to do too much too quickly. There were also a couple scenes that didn't work for me. For instance, in one scene, Van is praised as being a kind person, then in the next, he uses his powers to tear apart one of the enemies' steeds. Confused

Compared to something comparable like Utena the Movie, it just doesn't stack up.
Kateonfire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the movie was made to stand apart from the series. In that way someone who had never seen the series wouldn't be lost while watching the movie. I'm guessing you were expecting a direct sequel.

I though the movie was wonderful, largely because of the little details. Such as those almost chilling sounds the armor of Van and Dilandau make when they move and clash, being organic this time around.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote
arkangel wrote:
I thought the Escaflowne movie tried to do too much too quickly. There were also a couple scenes that didn't work for me. For instance, in one scene, Van is praised as being a kind person, then in the next, he uses his powers to tear apart one of the enemies' steeds. Confused

Compared to something comparable like Utena the Movie, it just doesn't stack up.

You're joking, right? You had some points, because that is a very valid criticism of the movie (one that I agree with, even though I like it), but you lost me at the end. The Utena movie doesn't try to do too much too quickly? I know that Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea is no Macross: Do You Remember Love? and certainly no Arcadia of My Youth, but at least it didn't have the car race, which has got to be the single *stupidest* scene in the history of film. No offence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
I believe the directer of the Escaflowne movie is now the head of BONES studio. He also did the Cowboy Bebop Movie.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
and did you watch the extras on the disc? you know the one where they interviewed the creator and artists (they where the same for the series and the movie) who said they were taking a different direction with it?

That's right. If you watch the Extras disc, there are a few interviews with the director, exectutive producer, some of the animators, and the seiyuu saying that since the movie was made 4 years after the end TV series, they wanted to go with something different.

I really disliked the movie when I saw it dubbed the first time, but after listening to those interviews, it really changed my perspective, and after a second viewing (subbed), I gave the movie an Excellent rating, but that's just me. Razz
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
I never listened to the sub for the movie that closely, but I can tell you that the English dub vocal cast for the movie is exactly the same as it is for the series, even down to the minor roles.

As others have intimated, the movie isn't supposed to be condensed version or direct copy of the series, so anyone going in expecting that is naturally going to be disappointed. As a stand-alone project, though, I thought the movie worked quite well. It's gorgeous to look at and the story plays out with a good pace and satisfying manner given the constraints of the movie's time frame; it just advances the characters in age a couple of years and takes an entirely different angle on the story and character motivations. Yeah, its love story between Van and Hitomi isn't as well-developed as the series, but knocking the movie for that is like knocking the series because its artistry and technical merits aren't even remotely close to being as good as the movie's: each version has its own specialty.

And the soundtracks for both, incidentally, are superb, even though they're different.

I saw the movie first, and it so impressed me that I hunted down the series. I'm a fan of both, though for different reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:35 am Reply with quote
You should see the manga, it's even more different than the tv series. I think the Escaflowne movie was a very good anime movie on its own merits, if not a dirrect sequal or retelling of the tv series.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:55 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy the movie much more the second time around. They really did a nice job for the movie given the budget constraints they were forced to work with. Just think of the movie as taking place in an alternate universe from the series and see it for what it is; it is no masterpiece, but it has some merit too.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
You should see the manga, it's even more different than the tv series.

another note, there are two different manga series out for Escaflowne.

I find it interesting how different Hitomi looks in all the different versions.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
You should see the manga, it's even more different than the tv series.

another note, there are two different manga series out for Escaflowne.

I find it interesting how different Hitomi looks in all the different versions.

But, also to note: only the shounen version has been licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2