• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What can you tell me about "TONARI NO 801 CHAN?"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyoko_girl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ok. It's a short story. I went looking up something on yesasia.com and it told me that other people who bought what I was looking at, also bought a movie called "TONARI NO YAOI CHAN." Now I've seen and read about yaoi, so it didn't bother me. I was only confused because the title said YOAI in it, but on the cover, it looked like a boy with girl. So I didn't understand. After befriending someone on these forums, the showed me some sites that explained some but not all my questions. They even showed me a video on youtube. But anyways, what is it about, and why did the boy (I'm assuming) on the cover, well . . . . why was he wearing girl's clothes and can one find this movie region 1 style? I'de watch it. I'm just open minded. Thank you.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-videos/pid-1004859135
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I think you may be confused. Just because it has "Yaoi" in the title does not make it a yaoi. the "-chan" is an honorific of the name "Yaoi". Yaoi can be a girl's name in Japanese. Tonari means next to or neighbor. So, the title roughly translates to "Yaoi's Neighbor". And I do not believe this has a region 1 release.
pyoko_girl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
You know, it's funny you say that YAOI can be a girl's name in Japan!! I didn't know that. So thank you. But after watching the trailer on youtube, the movie/manga is called yaoi chan for a reason. But the storyline still passes me. I wish I knew Japanese. Oh well. Thank you.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Here's where cultures are going to crash. Over here we expect that yaoi refers to the boy love gay sex or whatever it is we find in that certain aspect of comics. Over there I know that they refer to it as that, but the name is probably more common than the genre itself. So, do keep an open mind on how you perceive the word.
Ayasal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't wanted it, but I have heard and seen the a small clip from youtube. lol its kinda funny how people are telling u that "yaoi" is the girls name. cause there really is yaoi sceens in the movie. Razz
If anyone has info on this movie, I would love to know about it. because for some reason I can't find anything about it besides the girl being obbsessed about yaoi Anime hyper
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
I see this thread is really old, but I've seen most of the movie so I'll chip in:

Yayoi is a very old girl's name in Japan. Yaoi-chan (or 801-chan in goroawase) is just her nickname since she's a yaoi addict. It's based on a 4-panel web comic, and is basically a bunch of funny sketches about what it's like dating a fujoshi. It's pretty funny but I can't recommend a good translation yet, so... keep an eye on those drama subbing groups! :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1