• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Back in Black

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I have a friend who has watched When They Cry and told me spoiler[season two isn't as gory and actually has humor in the mix. He also told me there is a reason for the all the fighting as well.]

Ah, yes, correct, and all is eventually explained, which is another thing I like about this anime. The story actually ends for a change, and since the story was already written as complete, there is no filler. Regarding the differences between season one and season two, you could sort of say that season one is the problem, and season two is the solution... Wink (Damn, I should not re-watch this series again so soon, but oh, the urge!)
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm....I like Sailor Moon (taken in small amounts at a time) so maybe I'd like Magical Girls' Club...but I'm not sure.

Darker than Black is on my list of series to check out.

I wasn't sure if I would like Higurashi because I don't like horror movies all that much. But I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
x1onexwo1fx wrote:
Bamboo, please please please please please pleaaaase don't give up on Higurashi. Though I may agree with you on your review for that set of episodes for the most part, I think you'd be pleased to see how the story develops within the last arc of the first season, and especially in the second season. I get the feeling that eventually the series will make its way into your "Shelf Worthy." You just have to give it a chance. It's not as repetitive as you think, and it's better than Jigoku Shoujo by leaps and bounds (what happened to your reviews for that series, by the way?). I myself haven't finished Higurashi, but I can tell you that with each and every episode I watch, the series is creeping its way up the ladder of my favorite Anime series of all time.

Do they plan on releasing the whole series in America, I wonder...

5 volumes are already out with the 6th due out in December, so the first season will definitely finish. As for Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai nobody's liscensed it yet, so it's up in the air.

As to review I do not agree with the "seen one chapter seen them all" statement. Sure they have certain similiarities but each one is distinctly different (If I said anymore I'd have to go into spoilers). The way the stories are told you really need to see both seasons as When They Cry brings up all the questions and mysteries, however, you have to watch Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai if you want the majority of those questions answered and answer them all it certainly does; very satisfyingly well in fact.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Then I sure hope someone licenses it, because I've stuck with not watching fansubs for Shakugan no Shana Season 2 in the hope that I will be watching the licensed dub of the show like I did with the first season.

Arg. Anyway, I still have a bit more to go, haven't quite got around to watching dvd 5 yet, will certainly be doing that this weekend.. if not earlier.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Having picked up the 5th Higurashi DVD today (no, I wasn't waiting for a whole year for someone to announce they'd picked up up. Nope. Not me.), I was a little disappointed they didn't pick up on the subtlety of Rena's name in the dub - unless it was so subtle that even I missed it. I rarely ever complain about dubs, but at the very least I'd turn on the subtitle option and notice a slight change when certain people address her -- it does come up later on.

Higurashi works so often when it shouldn't. It's filled with cute "moe" girls making cute noises and even the loud, bossy tomboy is as nice as can be. It could almost be a harem series, since the main boy is pretty much the only boy around. However, the characterization works so well (Rena and Keiichi are smart and very astute, Mion's a compassionate leader) and the mystery aspect is clever enough to have a ton of red herrings, foreshadowing, subtlety, and changing loyalties that it really does make sense when you figure out what is going on.

Now if we can only get Kai licensed....
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Then I sure hope someone licenses it, because I've stuck with not watching fansubs for Shakugan no Shana Season 2 in the hope that I will be watching the licensed dub of the show like I did with the first season.

Arg. Anyway, I still have a bit more to go, haven't quite got around to watching dvd 5 yet, will certainly be doing that this weekend.. if not earlier.

I hate when series I like have sequels that aren't liscensed. (I'm looking at you, Stratos 4 Advance, Banner of the Stars III, Shakugan no Shana Second and Higurashi...Kai Evil or Very Mad ) I watched them but I'd still really like to own them. Crying or Very sad
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

You are hereby nominated for sainthood Smile
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Let me just emphasize on what some people have already somewhat stated. Higurashi is divided into several arcs, as you can probably tell if you've followed it up to this point. The first four are "Question" arcs, and the last five are "Answer" arcs. The first season is only composed of all the Question arcs and only two of the Answer arcs, and the second season is composed of the last three Answer arcs. Each Answer arc builds upon the last, taking you deeper and deeper into the story, so at this point, you're pretty much only seeing the surface of what eventually becomes an excellent series.

I like how the ad for Higurashi looks on the top and left, but just the fact that there've been more ads to the layout recently gives me a bad feeling for some reason.
Mevious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Nice Higurashi splash ad! It's make me smile looking at it. Of course, I already plan on getting vol. 5, so it's not aimed at me.

I love Higurashi, but I can also agree with BD's assessment. Every arc has the exact same formula and the overall plot doesn't move fast enough in the first season to keep people watching (people who aren't watching it for the suspense and gore, I mean). Still, as formulaic as it is, I do enjoy the fact that each arc never wastes time. Sunshine, intrigue, torture, death.

DtB was a show I've always wanted to check out, but never felt like watching. Seems like an intriguing show, but I may just borrow from a friend before I considering shelling out for it.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I started watching When They Cry from seeing the ads on this site a few months ago. I watched the first disc from Netflix, and was immediately like "Holy crap!! This show is sick and twisted, and I love it!" Very Happy (hence my avatar)

I'm now awaiting the box set, which will hopefully be out before too long. I'm not sure why Funi is spending so much time between releases, since they already have all the episodes dubbed and ready to go. Confused
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Probabally because they also have their own titles to put out....and the other Geneon leftovers....and all the ADV leftovers....
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I just wish that FUNi would be able to kick One Piece into a slightly higher gear. From what I understand, they're a lot further along dubbing than they have released, and they have a big chunk of episodes from 144 on that only need a few re-recorded lines to revert leftover 4Kids name changes. At their current rate of release, I'm beginning to wonder if they'll ever break even with the Japanese broadcast rate, much less start catching up a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3