• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Mike Tatsugawa Aug. 15

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The marketing aspect of the convention was clearly a marketing success. We brought in far more attendees for the concerts than we first imagined.

Way to put a nice spin on it. Although that just shows you have low standards.

Quote:
The other sides of the convention - cars, wrestling, Asian cinema, etc., are still being developed. We hope that in a few years we will diversify out from the shadow of anime and be able to present a distinct product to the US market.

I like how he refers to anime as a "shadow", when it's as much of a pop culture phenomenon in Japan as the entertainment he described.

Quote:
Personally, I won't consider the convention to be a success until I start hearing stories about people who come for one reason and discover two or three new interests by the time they leave.

Real answer: "No".

Quote:
In Southern California, with its diverse population, music from Asia will always be popular.

To a select demographic.

Quote:
Whether the model can be duplicated in other markets is the larger question.

The other markets in Southern California would be a good start.

Quote:
However, when we developed the concept for PMX, we knew that we had a competitive advantage with our local demographics,

Too bad those demographics weren't large enough.

Quote:
What we also managed to pull in was the large base of Japanese people who live in Southern California, a group that traditionally does not go to conventions.

I wouldn't call them large. They're significant, but they're not large. In terms of Asians, I'd say L.A. has more Chinese, Koreans, and Filipinos than people of Japanese descent here. Blame internment camps for that. (Although I've noticed a slight increase of the latter group lately.)

Quote:
Given that the concert turn-out was higher than the convention turn-out, we suspect that there was only 25% overflow between the two events. Even this is conjecture because a lot of fans were untrackable due to the box office and ticketweb handling most of the concert ticket transactions.

So much for having more responsible accounting than AX.

Quote:
When we started Anime Expo, we sought to create a community for the anime fans and to create an anime industry. We feel that this goal has been largely accomplished. With Pacific Media Expo, we wanted to take a different approach - we wanted to create a convention to serve the community.

Then maybe you should have a con that actually is based in the community, because there aren't a lot of Asians living in Anaheim.

Quote:
Once we stabilize, we would like to begin giving grants to promote artists in the Asian American community in the US and showcase their work at PMX.

Real answer: "AX was non-profit, but since PMX is for-profit, we need a tax shelter."

Quote:
...The sheer complexity of the concert would have required a significant increase in the price of admission to the convention.

Real answer: "We goofed and overpaid on space".

Quote:
We felt it would be unfair to PMX attendees who could not attend the concert to include the concert cost in the convention price.

Real answer: "There weren't enough people who would attend both the concert and attend PMX, so we had to charge twice as much to insure we got back our investment."

Quote:
We also felt that it would discourage local TMR fans from attending PMX if they were forced to also pay for the cost of convention admission when they purchased their tickets.

Real answer: "We weren't sure if TMR fans would buy any of the merchandise we were selling, so we had to charge twice as much to insure we got back our investment."

Quote:
For the other lower cost music events, we will continue to offer free admission with the cost of membership.

Real answer: "Don't worry! The karaoke room will still be free!"

Quote:
...Feature TMR when he'd already performed at Otakon?
We were partnering with Sony Music Japan on this event and T.M.Revolution was the best fit we could find. Other mitigating factors were also involved in the planning, but in the end, we believe that this was the best choice. As time moves forward, there will probably be additional musicians who have fewer ties to anime titles.

Real answer: "I've cut ties with my anime roots, but I still needed to make a buck off anime fans."

Quote:
...Did Silver Ash not show?
From our understanding, due to the threat of Cuban terrorists disguised as musicians, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, which recently took over the U.S. Immigration Service, began to tighten up on performer visas, right around the time of the Latin American Grammies in Florida. As a consequence, there was a 4-6 month backlog on performer visa requests. That Silver Ash was coming from a Communist country probably did not help either. Even with expedited service, Homeland Security still could not process the request in time.

Real answer: "We couldn't afford them."

Quote:
Wrestling?
New Japan Pro Wrestling is a popular wrestling federation in Japan. A mutual associate introduced the two of us and we felt that all forms of entertainment from Asia should be represented at PMX.

Real answer: "We had an empty schedule to fill, damnit!"

Quote:
Will there definitely be a PMX 2005?
We are finalizing the contracts as we speak. We are tentatively scheduled for Labor Day weekend of 2005. The city is still in question.

Real answer: "We want to be located as far away from the California cons as possible!"

Quote:
We are concerned about the music overlap with AnimeFEST, and we have great respect for them as one of the groundbreakers in the music market. We hope that there is a possibility that we could arrange for split musical artists, just like we did with Fanime this year.

Real answer: "We'll fight tooth and nail to get the exclusive performers this time! We promise!"

Quote:
We interviewed multiple attendees and found that the students were running back and forth from school related commitments like finals and graduation ceremonies.

Just as I predicted.

Quote:
We also polled the older attendees and found that they had lost interest in watching videos many years ago.

It's not that they lost interest. It's that they want to interact with human beings.

Quote:
A lot of the old dogs had to learn new tricks to adapt to the new world of music and a lot of the staff gave 110%, even to the point that we had a problem with a lot of the staff continuously shelling money out of their pockets to make the convention a better experience for the attendees and staff.

Real answer: "There were a lot of f**k-ups, and I took it out of people's paychecks."
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I like how he refers to anime as a "shadow", when it's as much of a pop culture phenomenon in Japan as the entertainment he described.

You know what he means. He wants to be able to promote cars and wrestling and such without relying entirely on anime tie-ins to attract people.

GATSU wrote:
So much for having more responsible accounting than AX.

No, the way Ticketweb handles ticketing, PMX doesn't have access to the numbers. Otakon had the same issues with Ticketmaster a couple of weeks ago.

GATSU wrote:
Real answer: "Don't worry! The karaoke room will still be free!"

Come on. Silver Ash, Psycho Le Cému, and Secret Secret aren't exactly T.M.R caliber, but karaoke room? Now you're just being silly.

GATSU wrote:
Real answer: "We couldn't afford them."

I have no reason not to trust Mike on that one. If you're going to make an accusation like that, you better back it up.

And I know you love making occasionally relevant one-liners, but it's getting very old. Pick a couple of quotes and have a real discussion instead of resorting to cheap shots.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:54 am Reply with quote
Miagi:
Quote:
He wants to be able to promote cars and wrestling and such without relying entirely on anime tie-ins to attract people.

Why? You don't see anime cons rejecting Marvel and DC readers and Disney fans. (In fact, AX now advertises on certain buses.) If he wants PMX to make money, he has to attract whoever it'll appeal to, and if that appeal has a cross-over affect, so be it. He wants to compete with AnimeNorth and AnimeFEST, but he doesn't actually want to provide any incentives for people who attend those cons to visit PMX instead. It's just bad business.

Quote:
I have no reason not to trust Mike on that one. If you're going to make an accusation like that, you better back it up.

I was just joking. Although you've got to wonder where he gets the money to invest in that much space...
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
You should know better to feed him.
Then again, so should I.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Why? You don't see anime cons rejecting Marvel and DC readers and Disney fans. (In fact, AX now advertises on certain buses.) If he wants PMX to make money, he has to attract whoever it'll appeal to, and if that appeal has a cross-over affect, so be it. He wants to compete with AnimeNorth and AnimeFEST, but he doesn't actually want to provide any incentives for people who attend those cons to visit PMX instead. It's just bad business.

Yeah, it looks like bad business, but I think Mike sees anime as a stigma that j-pop and HK films and such need to escape in order to reach a different(/larger?) audience. Perhaps he just wants to build a fan base for Asian entertainment from the ground up. And hey, if Japanese pro wrestling takes off, he could corner the market and make more than if he'd stayed in anime. It's a risk, but that's part of business. Not a risk I'd take, though.

We could also say that he's just bitter and driven by revenge to be bigger and better than AX...but it's pretty hard to base that argument in reality.

Quote:
I was just joking. Although you've got to wonder where he gets the money to invest in that much space...

You know, sometimes I just can't tell.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:49 am Reply with quote
Miagi:
Quote:
but I think Mike sees anime as a stigma that j-pop and HK films and such need to escape in order to reach a different(/larger?) audience.

If J-pop artists want to stop being associated with anime, then they need to stop doing theme songs for shows. Otherwise, they should just quit complaining, because they wanted the money and publicity when they took the jobs. As for HK film, the larger audiences usually include those who watch anime and read manga, so him trying to suggest one genre's more sophisticated than the other just pisses off fans of both genres, and subsequently makes him lose customers who might be fans of both genres.

Quote:
Perhaps he just wants to build a fan base for Asian entertainment from the ground up.

That's great. But that's already happened without him. And there are a lot of Asian cinephiles who didn't charge the money he's charging to expose people to the media. He's probably just looking for a new niche.

Quote:
And hey, if Japanese pro wrestling takes off, he could corner the market and make more than if he'd stayed in anime.

Unless he got bought out by Vince McMahon...Anyway, people have been aware of Japanese wrestling for a while, so he wouldn't be doing anything new with it. Plus the fact that it's more extreme than American wrestling will make it a tough sell to the FCC and soccer moms.

Quote:
We could also say that he's just bitter and driven by revenge to be bigger and better than AX...but it's pretty hard to base that argument in reality.

So that lengthy post on the AX message board didn't convince you?

Quote:
You know, sometimes I just can't tell.

Yep.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:14 am Reply with quote
I totally agree about the elitism problem--I think we went through this with anime a few years ago, though it's dissipated as anime has become more common in the US. Teens (and folks who never grow out of it) think they're more special if they like things that aren't mainstream, and they don't like anime being associated with something like j-pop, which wasn't even a blip on the domestic radar until a few years ago.

I think I've brought this up before, but it's relevant enough that it is worth repeating: Hidetoshi Haeno, the managing director of Japan's recording industry association, has been quoted as saying 65% of J-pop sold in Japan has an anime tie-in. There's a much tighter connection between TV programs and the music industry in Japan than in the US, and I think a lot of people over here refuse to recognize how deeply anime is embedded in j-pop. Maybe the two can be fully separated, but it's not like we can look to Japan for an example.

You're wrong to pin the blame for elitist whining on the artists. It's the fans who won't deign to have their power ballads associated with cartoons. And they ought to get over it.

I know very little about the HK film industry in the US, but I'm pretty sure it's a small fan base. Sure, it's a bit late for Tatsugawa to start a market here from scratch, but we had anime before ADV, too. Maybe he thinks he can establish a real presence for HK films. I dunno. There's got to be room for growth.

I vaguely remember an insanely long post on the AX forums, but I didn't realize its magnitude back then. If somebody wants to pull that up, it would probably be interesting to discuss in the context of PMX.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:37 am Reply with quote
If Mike wants to do HK cinema a favor, he'll buy out Miramaxe's movies, so they can actually be seen.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Otakon had the same issues with Ticketmaster a couple of weeks ago.

Otakon didn't work with Ticketmaster at all. That's why the concert had a stickering method of getting in instead of tickets. Anything that required anything that looked like tickets would have had to been handled by Ticketmaster, which would have required a lot of fees that the Otakon staff didn't want the fans to deal with.

No Ticketmaster for Otakon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote
GATSU's going overboard as usual but the truth of the matter is that PMX was a pretty big failure across the board. Low attendance, bad timing, poor advertisement... Tatsugawa really screwed the pooch on this con and in this interview he's spinning more a potter's wheel.

Better luck next year, Mike.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it is just me, but this whole story with PMX/AX cuts to close to the fan parody of Fanboy Generation X!?

oh shiii...
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
No Ticketmaster for Otakon.

Yeah, I was only half right on that one. Ticketmaster was one of the reasons they had trouble getting an exact count, but I misunderstood the details.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1