• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nisemonogatari (with index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killmyself

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The rest of the episode was spent with Mayoi, whom I have to say is a monstrously strong debater for her age. She could be a speechwriter for a politician with her ability to twist the meaning of sentences by adding the word 'courage'. Also, even though I knew Koyomi would assault her, seeing her animal-like reaction was pretty hilarious. Yes, I shouldn't laugh when a high-school boy assaults a prepubescent girl, but it was just so funny. As was Koyomi's reason for keeping up with the handstand longer than Mayoi wanted.

Well she is a ghost and not recently deceased. They made it pretty clear that she could retain information and was self aware in the first season. The supernatural loli who isn't really a loli is a standard now in anime for removing guilt from characters and viewers.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Bake is my second favorite anime of all time (and the only reason it is in second is that my Giant Spreadsheet of Doom tiebreaks alphabetically). Nise's first episode was weak, though. Well, weak in terms of Bake, which meant it was really good for a normal show. I just don't know if it is possible to live up to the standards of Bake, to quote J.R.R. Tolkien in The Silmarillion, "For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest. It may be that I can unlock my jewels, but never again shall I make their like". That is how I see Bake, as a story that never again will have its like.

Now, back to the story. Only two things actually happened in this episode, which is why it felt listless and weak. The first was the opener, with Arararagi tied up. This was an important scene because it told us that there is something going on that Araragi would try to interfere in, but that would put him in terrible peril. This was a very good scene, and Araragi/Senjougahara chemistry is still great. The other important event was the reveal that Araragi is uncomfortable with his family after his brush with the occult, a natural reaction that likely will be his main motivation throughout this new story. Both these are good, salient points to make, but you don't need to spend 24 minutes making them. Visuals were excellent, they recaptured the original's feel, but the episode just didn't have enough to satisfy me.

GeminiDS85 wrote:
Last thing: Just in case anyone is curious, this is definition of nisemono from the denshi jisho: 偽物 -- spurious article; forgery; counterfeit; imitation; sham.

I didn't know that. Interesting. I shall from henceforth call this show Fake Bakemonogatari.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
@ Melanchthon:

Quote:
This was an important scene because it told us that there is something going on that Araragi would try to interfere in, but that would put him in terrible peril.

You may very well be right in your interpretation. My take - and I by no means think it is the correct one - was that something has already happened to Araragi and that Senjougahara is in the midst of administering a cure - in her own special way, of course. I guess I should go back and watch the scene to see if I missed something the first time around.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Nosferatu21 wrote:
Oh Senjougahara you evil, treacherous seductress. Why must you torture me so?

Because she knows you want it, you perverted naughty boy.

Will she tie me up and make me lick water off of her finger? Do you promise? DO YOU PROMISE?

@ Blood and Melanchthon- I was under the same impressions as Blood. I got the feeling that Koyomi was already in danger and Senjougahara was trying to save him. The trouble of course being spoiler[he was stung by a bee, given this arc is called Karen Bee and they were also talking about bee poison.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thought it was just their idea of a romantic date?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I kept wondering if he could get out of it himself, if he really wanted to. He's no super vampire but between his supposed heightened strength and what may be lurking "in the shadows" I have the feeling he has the ability to escape if he really felt the need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Am I the only one who thought it was just their idea of a romantic date?

Laughing

There's two characters who need their own reality show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking more that she was trying to keep Koyomi out of something, but she did mention something about a poison, though it may have just beem an off hand comment to scare him.

Well if he was really in trouble then Shinobu would have come, actually wouldn't her absemce have to mean something. I thought she kept herself close to Koyomi.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I just did a Bakemonogatari rewatch and it reminded me of some thoughts I've had about Mayoi.
Koyomi's reactions to her have always been weird, the first time he met her he basically beat the crap out of her and realized it was a crazy thing to do. It really seems there's something that causes him what he does to her.

I’ve always wondered if Koyomi’s interactions with the girls in this series are being utilized in more than just a narrative context. It seems that Koyomi’s interactions with Mayoi always lack one element, that is, his motives do not appear to fulfill a sexual desire. In contrast, let’s think about your other statement in this context:
Quote:
There's also an interesting and slightly confusing part in episode 11 where he apparentlymomentarily toys with the idea of teasing or molesting Nadeko and realizes immediately it doesn't feel right to do that to her.

A character like Nadeko is portrayed in the narrative as being able to sexually arouse Koyomi, so this might be the reason why he doesn’t tease or fondle her. Basically, I am wondering if NisiOisin is utilizing the girls in his monogatari series to comment on how he thinks anime fans should perceive the different ages of girls used in otaku products.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I just don't know if it is possible to live up to the standards of Bake, to quote J.R.R. Tolkien in The Silmarillion, "For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest. It may be that I can unlock my jewels, but never again shall I make their like". That is how I see Bake, as a story that never again will have its like.

I think most novel readers prefer Kizumonogatari and consider it the crown jewel of the franchise. It's also pretty damn effective at converting Senjouhara fans into Kissshot fans....

Also lol @ this from the Nise novel. (Already covered in the first episode.. well only a part of it)

http://theeasternstandard.blogspot.com/2009/08/nisemonogatari-kicks-off-with-bang.html#comment-form

Nisemonogatari kicks off with a bang
"What's wrong?" Hachikuji asked. "You look like someone who made a lot of self-deprecating jokes about how his work would never be animated and then discovers that, by some freak accident, a deal has actually been made. But don't worry, it's not like you're being forced to write a sequel to an already completed work just because it's being animated. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. I wonder what kind of dance we'll be doing over the end credits."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. It's like NisiOisin realized at this point that he doesn't even need to worry about story anymore. That the otaku eat up this fanservice pointless trash and so he can just go on cruise control and rake in the cash. At this point in Bake, we had already completed the Crab arc. We're 2 episodes into Bee and what has happened? Harem nonsense. Such a disappointment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Ok saw episode 2.
We got our Karen Bee OP, again a rather good one, I was worried we would still have the one with Hitagi, the OPs usually set the mood.

I thought the sisters were twins, but they are a year apart with Karen being the elder at 15, apparently Karen is quite the martial artist. But I was quite surprised that Tsukihi is apparently even more aggressive.

Nadeko tries to seduce Koyomi with everything she has, cute clothes much different then she had on the phone, making him sit on the bed, the most cliche line possible (it is hot). And even being asked to play the King game, he just did not understand what she was trying to do, instead he mentally praises her that her "Koyomi Onii-chan" has such control. The twister bit gave me a little laugh.

Suruga on the other hand was wearing exactly what she was one on the phone Laughing , her teasing of Koyomi backfired and she is depreassed. I enjoyed his talk with her, probably she would be unlikely to jump him, and this time we have him teasing her about her BL, also like her newer look, makes her look wild. Although the dirty talk ended up making the conversation go the way Koyomi's has with Mayoi, except Koyomi is on the recieving end. Suruga even repeated the same like he said in the previous episode, and Koyomi had Mayoi's head, well now he knows what it is like.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wow. It's like NisiOisin realized at this point that he doesn't even need to worry about story anymore. That the otaku eat up this fanservice pointless trash and so he can just go on cruise control and rake in the cash. At this point in Bake, we had already completed the Crab arc. We're 2 episodes into Bee and what has happened? Harem nonsense. Such a disappointment.

Possibly NisiOisin isn't doing the whole character introduction, problem, resolution, then repeat type arcs in Nise. Maybe you should get out of your comfort zone instead of accusing him of settling for a quick buck.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Nah, I would categorize it as harem awesomeness and otaku pandering brought to an artful level. Seriously, it was sexy, it was funny as hell, the interaction between characters is completely worth the time spent.

Although I can sympathize, if you WANT something to happen, this sort of thing is very frustrating. I remember complaining about the second to last Bake episode because it was mostly catching up with the cast and avoided a plot I wanted developed.

But it not like nothing was learned. Sengoku provided information, you got descriptions of the sisters that we've never gotten before and while the visit to Kanbaru was pure hijinks I appreciated it for showing her truly embarrassed- that's new for her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Although I can sympathize, if you WANT something to happen, this sort of thing is very frustrating.

Alright then. I'll keep in mind that some people don't want something to happen in Nise. Again, I know how popular harem fanservice hijinks is. I've seen the sales of Infinite Stratos. It's just disappointing that it has seeped fully into this.

And I'm not completely averse to fanservice. Hitagi Crab featured quite sensual scenes with Hitagi mainly with just a towel. Or in Nadeko Snake there's a scene where Nadeko is practically naked before Araragi. So what's the difference? In Bake the fanservice was always tied together with the story. Hitagi giving her backstory when we got that sensual scene. And with Nadeko she was showing him the 'snakes' that were binding her. Sure they were fanservice, but the scenes themselves weren't without purpose.

What the hell did this episode do? What story occurred? Nothing that I can recall at least. It was an onsen or a beach episode without the onsen/beach. And I really dislike those episodes if it's just fanservice for the sake of fanservice. If you like that kind of thing, then more power to you. I'm not knocking you or your taste. Just expressing my personal frustration with what has been shown thus far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16