• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Review: Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD 1: Platinum Edition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes Eva fans, you have to buy the whole series over again. However, take some solace in the fact that - this time – you will have in your possession the absolute definitive Neon Genesis Evangelion collection.

Until the next time.

Quote:
ADV’s Platinum releases will mark the third time I myself have purchased the whole series, and it’s the fourth time I’ve purchased certain episodes (the original Eva Vol. 1 was released sans overlays, and Vols. 7 & 8 were reissued with the Director’s Cut episodes included)....When ADV first announced it would be releasing GAINAX’s digitally remastered prints, my initial reaction was somewhat less than enthusiastic. After all, how many times did ADV think it could empty my pockets with the same material?

Apparently, at least 3-4 times.

Quote:
We’ve all seen Evangelion before, many of us several times over. But I’m here to tell you that – unless you’ve lived in Japan – you’ve never seen it. Not like this. From the moment when “Cruel Angel’s Thesis” begins to play, the show explodes to bright, vivid new life. The colors fairly leap right off of the screen, and suddenly Evangelion looks as fresh and as new as the latest digitally-painted animé series. And that nasty jitter effect? Completely gone. Wrap it all up in brand-new 5.1 surround sound and you have the ultimate Eva viewing experience.

So now you can better understand what Anno was thinking when he was on medication.
ultrabot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

So now you can better understand what Anno was thinking when he was on medication.

Now you're just being silly.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:03 pm Reply with quote
O c'mon Gatsu. Nobody's saying you have to pick up the platinum edition, and don't tell me Anno says it's the way Eva was ment to be seen (I know how you are). I'm a big Eva fan and I don't plan on picking up the platinum edition anytime soon (I need 5.1). Besides, don't you hate Eva? Why are you stressen over this?

we'll all float on
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was just teasing.
Goshin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
MelancholyDevil wrote:

we'll all float on

Modest Mouse? Cool band.Cool

I would've used this part of the lyrics....

I ran my mouth off a bit too much oh what did I say
Well you just laughed it off it was all ok
cyberphin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Are the director's volumes from the remastered versions or are they different that what is going to be coming out in the platnum versions?
I hate repeat purchases!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I believe all of the Platinum volumes are going to be the remasters of every episode that orginally was only available in Japan.

They will also include the "Director's Cuts" episodes as well as the TV versions too (I think).
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The Platinum release is as follows:

1-...6? = Same as the "Eva Renewal" stuff that came out in Japan a few years ago.
7-8? (sorry, my numbers could be off) = The Renewal stuff-- which happens to be the Director's Cut that ADV released earlier in the year.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... from what I could tell, it would be down to 7 volumes total as opposed to 8 this time. It is a very nice release, and I'm glad I've held off in buying the series till now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Hmm... from what I could tell, it would be down to 7 volumes total as opposed to 8 this time. It is a very nice release, and I'm glad I've held off in buying the series till now.

It would seem so; I believe that was mentioned somewhere(can't remember where) and the art box is slimmer than most so I doubt an 8th volume would fit.

As for the repeat purchases, I don't mind too much; I probably like the series too much for my own good... Although I will have 3 different DVDs with the same episodes thanks to the terrible timing of the Director's Cut DVDs....
Alucard055

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
(this is my first post.)are they going to make a Platinum Edition of Death & Rebirth (the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie) and The End of Evangelion. and how much money is the Platinum Edition of Neon Genesis Evangelion ( I hope that came out right)
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Alucard055 wrote:
(this is my first post.)are they going to make a Platinum Edition of Death & Rebirth (the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie) and The End of Evangelion. and how much money is the Platinum Edition of Neon Genesis Evangelion ( I hope that came out right)

Well, Manga Entertainment owns the Eva movies so I doubt there will be a Plat. release. However, they might be able to be coaxed into doing that Eva movie box set that was planned years ago.

And good day to you, Alucard055. I believe that we met on the G4TechTV boards?
Alucard055

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
yes, we have and good day to you too DragonofHeaven.

still, does anyone know how much money the Platinum Edition of Neon Genesis Evangelion will cost
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the official word is 7 volumes. Which will be a bit nicer on my wallet Wink
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
Alucard055 wrote:

still, does anyone know how much money the Platinum Edition of Neon Genesis Evangelion will cost

Depends on what you mean. As far as each disc goes, Best Buy is currently selling Vol 1 for $20 and Vol 1 w/box for $25. The MSRP for Vol 1 is $29.98 and $39.98 for Vol 1 w/ box, so you will be able to find prices ranging from what BB has all the way up to the MSRP depending on where you shop. If you are speaking of a final boxset with all discs, there have been no announcements about them even making one (which they most certainly will), but I would expect the price to be somewhere around $100-$125ish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2