• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Another (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
He objectified that as his opinion not a fact as well.

That he did. But if he agrees with me that there were writing issues, why he is then so upset when I'm saying is a fact? He should be happy that his opinion is correct, neh?

jl07045 wrote:
However we may ask something different if you are so adamant about the "objectivity" of your opinions: what is the standart? Describe it, describe how you apply it to anime with different genres and different goals. If it gives you the authority of being objective we should agree about it and the way it is applied when you measure a creative work.

You may decide that this is not worth the effort, but in that case you have no right to speak with the people here the way you do.

No, you are the one disagreeing with me, so the onus is on you to first make a reasonable argument about why there is no objective standards in Anime. You know, the argument that Garzey's Wing is as good as Only Yesterday because there are no objective standards so everything is as good as everything else. That's how baloney the assertion that there are no objective standardsin Anime is.

I don't see why I should write a huge long post talking about objectivity which run into the hundreds if not thousands of words when you are so unwilling to do so yuorself. It is your refusal to meet me halfway that makes you have no right to make such demands when you are unwilling to do the same.

And besides, this is a series discussion thread for Another, let's save the objectivity arguments for 'another' thread.
dan7el

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I think this was one of the better shows of this season. That said, there were a ton of things I foud annoying. I don't know about you, but the first three episodes dragged on. What's behind the eyepatch. Aaahhh! It's a doll's eye!

I was convinced Mei was dead until about the four or so episode. Of course, none of us really know what the heck was going on until after that.

I was looking up info on the characters on Wikipedia and learned who the Another was there about half way through. What got me is that I had no idea the spoiler[aunt and assistant teacher] were the same person. Had I known, I might've guessed. Turns out the shows producers went far out of their way to make this nearly impossible to figure out.

Ultimately, there was a tremendous amount of "gimmick" in this show. The writers would put in a little fact and then cover it over with all kinds of false leads. For example, when they went on the beach trip and the boy dies in the water. You're thinking, "But they're out of town? How did this happen? Is the Another with them?" And we learn that he hurt himself originally in-town. Ah, we say, that's good. Perhaps the Another is not with them on this trip....

What made the show worth watching for me were the awesome splatter scenes. They were just too over-the-top to be anything but pure entertainment. I don't know if I've ever seen anything as horrible as the teacher offing himself in class. The total carnage of the last two episodes was terrific. The best part of it was we never really cared about any of the characters enough to be moved by their deaths.

Other than the one horrible, horrible unnecessary beach episode, there was no fan service, there were really no tsundere ladies, we had no awkward love confessions gone awry and no stalled relationships with characters mooning over each other. How refreshing in a school anime.

I liked it well enough.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Fact is, Another is badly written and badly directed, and since I know this to be true of course I'm going to mark Another down for it.

No, this is an opinion. Stop trying to pass your opinions off as facts (again). Rolling Eyes

An opinion and a fact. Even you have admitted (multiple times) that the show has issues on the writing front, so I don't see why you're laying into me for stating the obvious.

Intersubjective and objective are not the same. Fact: it was widely believed that the Earth was flat. Fact: the Earth is not flat. Opinion: the Earth is poorly constructed. The claim "the show is poorly written" does not correlate to quantitative data points but an apparent meta-stasis of value judgments. Value judgments are the valuation by an individual of a given subject. In order to judge, one must be an individual with a consciousness capable of affectation. Objective is defined as "relating to or existing as an object of thought without consideration of independent existence". Being an independent individual capable of affectation whose judgment relates directly to his/her personal existence, dasein if you rather, your valuation of a non-quantitative subject is not objective. Your opinion is not verifiable fact. QED.

Last edited by Svidrigailov on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I don't see why I should write a huge long post talking about objectivity which run into the hundreds if not thousands of words when you are so unwilling to do so yuorself. It is your refusal to meet me halfway that makes you have no right to make such demands when you are unwilling to do the same.

And besides, this is a series discussion thread for Another, let's save the objectivity arguments for 'another' thread.

You shouldn't. I think that it's become obvious by now that you are going to firmly stick with your beliefs, which is fine, even if I don't agree with your reasoning. I think, for the sake of this thread, we can all move on.

Edit: I suppose not Rolling Eyes

Last edited by supercreep on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
An opinion and a fact. Even you have admitted (multiple times) that the show has issues on the writing front, so I don't see why you're laying into me for stating the obvious.

The issues that I have talked about are annoyance-level ones, not "it's worthy of only a 3/10 even with the great artistry figured in" level ones. Your issues with the series go well beyond mine.

See, there is this little concept called "scale" that applies in cases like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I used the same criteria to judge Another as I used with Fate/Zero Part 1 (Excellent), Bakuman Season Two (Masterpiece), Natsume Yuujinchou Shi (Excellent) and Chihayafuru (Masterpiece). Same criteria, applied the same way. If Another was actually a good Anime it would have gotten a better grade, but it wasn't, so it didn't. Another doesn't hold a candle to the decent shows let alone deserves to be just one league down (B+) from the top-tier stuff (i.e. the really good shows).

I wouldn't recommend a show with only one good scene (the dancing daydream scene) in its entire twelve episodes. I just wouldn't.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
So you give Fate/Zero high marks (which I agree with, BTW) and yet you lambaste this one? Its writing is at least as easily assaultable on its quirks as this one is.

Well, whatever. Despite your claims to use consistent standards, I have often been mystified by what I see as dramatic inconsistencies in what you do and don't like. I really should stop trying to puzzle that out, as I really do have better things to do with my time. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Overall, I did like how intricate Another was with keeping you guessing over who spoiler[the "extra" was], even if things got too over-the-top with the deaths in the later half of the series. But considering the key to solving the whole mystery lied in spoiler[piecing together memories to find inconsistencies with the present time period], am I the only one to find the whole point of spoiler[Mei's ability to see who the undead one is] poorly explained and a waste of a plot element to the storyline of the series considering it wasn't really needed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Overall, I did like how intricate Another was with keeping you guessing over who spoiler[the "extra" was], even if things got too over-the-top with the deaths in the later half of the series. But considering the key to solving the whole mystery lied in spoiler[piecing together memories to find inconsistencies with the present time period], am I the only one to find the whole point of spoiler[Mei's ability to see who the undead one is] poorly explained and a waste of a plot element to the storyline of the series considering it wasn't really needed?

Nope. I too believe that it would have been far more interesting (and far less facepalm-worthy) if Mei did not have the ability to see death. If she had just been a normal-but misunderstood girl then the problem of her not taking action when she knew who the extra was would not have even existed. It would also have meant that the dude - and therefore by extension the audience - would have actually gotten to do some actual sleuthing to figure out the identity instead of it just been handed to us on a plate. Yeah there had been hints that Reiko was important, but let's face it, the big reveal was exactly that; the show (through Mei) straight-up telling us who the dead person was without any effort on our part needed.

So Mei's left eye was just a crutch. Granted, we had been told that dolls are close to death and so that's why Mei could see death using it (how do the nerves connect?). But dolls are creepy enough without having to have some supernatural powers tacked on. I reckon if the story did have to have the eye then it should have originated from her twin, or something. Actually, that wouldn't work either, but what we got just didn't sit right.

Sigh. Talking about Another makes me so very tired.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by poorly explained. If you mean that it is unclear why she had that ability then I would say no, it wasn't poorly explained, since I think the explanation was clear enough. From a story standpoint, it's true that element was not needed, but I personally liked it. It was another interesting and uncanny detail about Mei. This was, from start to finish, a supernatural mystery and so a detail like that is hardly inorganic to this kind of material.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Nope. I too believe that it would have been far more interesting (and far less facepalm-worthy) if Mei did not have the ability to see death.

I agree here, the magical doll's eye was a bad call. In fact the eye-gimmick wasn't even necessary, spoiler[as she had supposedly seen Reiko's murder first-hand.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Except that she had no memory of the event until very late in the game (or that seemed to be the implication, which is plausible. We saw how Izumi's memory of Kouichi was incredibly faint at first and gathered steam toward the climax).
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
I agree here, the magical doll's eye was a bad call. In fact the eye-gimmick wasn't even necessary, spoiler[as she had supposedly seen Reiko's murder first-hand.]

But of course the curse is so powerful it can rewrite reality, so making Mei forget about that incident would have been easy.

And that's the show's biggest problem; the curse is too broken. It has to spoiler[magically put Reiko's clothes in a magically-crafted chest of draws because of course she otherwise wouldn't have any clothes, being previously dead and all. Then of course there's various databases and information systems to change - the school's records plus the database of the DMV (or Japanese equivalent). Reiko's shrine in the family home needs to be deleted, the funeral parlour must have money debited from its account because the death never happened (until Sakikabara killed her), and that man who killed her must be released from jail because he didn't kill her. Of course then the judge and the lawyers have their records changed because of one less murder, plus the police don't forget.] Then there's the accounts of the local supermarket, as dead people don't buy food but live ones usually do. In fact, dead people don't buy anything. Then there's memory alterations for everyone, and I do mean everyone; after two years the butterfly effect will be in full swing and millions of people will have their memories affected in some way. And on and on it goes. All to let one spirit attend highschool for several months. We're not talking about the supernatural anymore, we're talking about God, with the capital 'G' and the beard and the interfering nature and everything.

So Key, still think Another doesn't have crippling writing problems? [sniggers] Yeah, I have to snigger, because if I don't laugh then I'll cry at the incompetent writing and at how poorly-thought-out the nature and effect of the curse is.

Gack gack gack. The more I look at it the more I can see that it is truly is a show worthy of scorn.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. Regardless of what else you think of the series, that does not give you the right to ignore forum standards on things like this. - Key]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Gack gack gack. The more I look at it the more I can see that it is truly is a show worthy of scorn.

And yet you devoted over 5 hours of your life to it. Doesn't that make you kind of a dumbass?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

And yet you devoted over 5 hours of your life to it. Doesn't that make you kind of a dumbass?

Not really.

Finishing the show makes me a nice guy who gave the series a chance to redeem itself after the first three lacklustre episodes; it ain't my fault that the show then betrayed that trust and got even worse. It also makes me as well-informed about the show as any of you fanboys, so A: I can make better arguments against the show, and B: you can't dismiss my arguments as being ill-informed. Oh no, instead of that now you try and claim I've got a bias against P.A. Works or some other such nonsense. You rabid fans will stoop to any level to try and defend your fake idols, I really shouldn't be surprised.

Also, by watching shows like Another I help make the good series out there look even better (and be more enjoyable) because of it. It is by suffering through crap that we learn to appreciate the not-crap.

[Mod Edit: Let's try and not peg users as "dumbarses" or whatever because they enjoyed something you did not. - Keonyn]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 34