• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Another (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Well, what you fail to understand dtm42, is that people - yourself included, actually - can watch a show that has flaws and still derive enjoyment from it. You devoted five hours of your life to a show that you claim had only one good scene in it - a 30 second fantasy throw-away scene. And that makes you less of a dumbass than somebody like me who was perfectly aware of the show's flaws, felt frustration over them, but at the end of the day still found enough to be entertained? Laughing

Of course the truth is that you found more than that one scene worthwhile. It's just you've gotten caught up in your usual dtm42 hyperbole and feel obligated to defend it to your usual ridiculous degree. It's a tedious process that we ANN posters are overly familiar with. Nothing new here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
The room is not a problem, having recently died with parents who have so little energy to want to change it, they probably left everything there. But we were told that for some reason a lot of her items were kept in another building.

Really we have seen existances come and go in anime with Shana, the thing is we don't know the full extent of how things change. Is there a gradual amnesia before that has the people and reality bend before sending back the dead as a full person indistuinguishiable. The point poit is that what hapends can not.

Reality is bent so far that blood relatives come at risk of dying from events that could have hapened to anyone was driving along the road, or making the incredibly complex safety measures fail. The change is so powerfull that they don't see what is right in front of them, like there are not spoiler[suposed to be assistant teachers.]

I don't see what the big fuss over the eye was, so what if you say that it was not necessery for the story. It was a trait of a character, saying that it was so bad for the series is like saying that say in Angel Beats it hurt the series that spoiler[Otonashi's heart was in Kanade, he would have still got with her without it.] Here the eye was used for putting her as a direct link to the supernatural for our main character, our main character had a like for things that could make others uneasy, he wasn't some black slate. It served at making her character, while the guy wanted to know things, he read mystery novels, but our girl saw too much, she had cover her eye to prevent spoler of who might die soon. The fact she herself had a connection of death made her seperate from those around her.

Can we stop saying our opinions as fact, if mind was fact then Honey and Clover, House of Five Leaves, and Tatamari galaxy are really bad shows as they were so mind numbingly boreing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
Believe what you want. Not like you're openminded enough for me to convince you otherwise.

Just don't forget that I see and acknowledge the flaws in RahXephon and Puella Magi Madoka Magica and yet still rate them as the two best Anime I've ever encountered. So your assertion that I fail to understand that I can watch a show that has flaws and derive enjoyment from it is a patently false one and you're just trolling at this point. I'm being sincere, you're just taking the piss and coming up with easily-disproved lies.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@Blood-
Believe what you want. Not like you're openminded enough for me to convince you otherwise.

Just don't forget that I see and acknowledge the flaws in RahXephon and Puella Magi Madoka Magica and yet still rate them as the two best Anime I've ever encountered. So your assertion that I fail to understand that I can watch a show that has flaws and derive enjoyment from it is a patently false one and you're just trolling at this point. I'm being sincere, you're just taking the piss and coming up with easily-disproved lies.

Don't be stupid. You claim there is only one good scene in Another and yet you watched the whole show. That does not seem psychologically plausible to me. I believe you found other parts of the show entertaining, as well, you simply don't have the intellectual honesty to admit it because you have become invested in claiming that Another's flaws render it unenjoyable. How can this belief of mine be a lie? Laughing Mind you, considering you don't even understand the difference between "fact" and "opinion" I shouldn't be surprised. Laughing

Oh, and by the way, I said that you DO watch shows with flaws and still find them enjoyable - you simply fail to understand when somebody other than yourself does so.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
No, you are the one disagreeing with me, so the onus is on you to first make a reasonable argument about why there is no objective standards in Anime. You know, the argument that Garzey's Wing is as good as Only Yesterday because there are no objective standards so everything is as good as everything else. That's how baloney the assertion that there are no objective standardsin Anime is.

I don't see why I should write a huge long post talking about objectivity which run into the hundreds if not thousands of words when you are so unwilling to do so yuorself. It is your refusal to meet me halfway that makes you have no right to make such demands when you are unwilling to do the same.

Firstly, you are the one making the claims that several people here disagree with so it is you who has to have a convincing argument. Svidrigailov has contested your points in a more or less academic way, you haven't answered them, the onus is on you. And the point here is not that there is no objectivity in anime, but that you seem to think that you're an authority on the subject without actually livng up to it.

Secondly, I have made my thoughts available in a very summarized way over here. Don't try to divert the fire from yourself. I can't even meet you halfway if all you are capable of is superficial reasoning, retorts and insults.

Frankly, I don't think you're capable of a thousand word argument anyway. All I want here is for you to either take responsibility for your words or start behaving.

Moving on. Watched the last episode yesterday. Altogether I was actually pleasantly surprised by this series. From my experience there aren't enough decent mystery plots in anime and this one was well enough constructed to be neither laughably primitive or overly complicated. There some were solid red herrings and the clues were subtle enough imo. I thought that the breakdown during the last two episodes was too overdramatic. I am also not a fan of violence just for the sake of it. Too many gallons of blood and extremely unlikely deaths and behaviours before death take me out of the experience. But in the end I thought it was a time well spent.

Last edited by jl07045 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So Key, still think Another doesn't have crippling writing problems? [sniggers] Yeah, I have to snigger, because if I don't laugh then I'll cry at the incompetent writing and at how poorly-thought-out the nature and effect of the curse is.

Small problems? Yes. Crippling writing problems? No. Everything that you're complaining about in the previous example with the way reality is altered by the curse is something that's done commonly in anime and other formats, yet we generally don't quibble about the details of it. So why do it here? Do the mechanics of how the reality-alteration at the end of Serial Experiment Lain have to make perfect sense in order for us to appreciate its effect, for instance? Or how about PMMM or Princess Tutu or any other series which involves massive reality alterations as part of a story gimmick?

(And yeah, I know that revealing that any of these series even has that element is a kind of spoiler, but it's necessary for the example here.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by poorly explained. If you mean that it is unclear why she had that ability then I would say no, it wasn't poorly explained, since I think the explanation was clear enough. From a story standpoint, it's true that element was not needed, but I personally liked it. It was another interesting and uncanny detail about Mei. This was, from start to finish, a supernatural mystery and so a detail like that is hardly inorganic to this kind of material.

I got the fact that one of Mei's eyes was false from all the blatant doll symbolism seen whenever Koichi visited the doll shop she lived in and the show messing around in having the viewer believe that she might not be among the living during the show's earlier episodes. But like dtm42 said, I felt that the whole spoiler["I can see the dead"] bit with her was a poorly explained crutch that was a pointless addition just to add to the over-the-top developments faced by the students in Another's later episodes. It wasn't needed and the show could have still functioned without it. I don't mind some suspension of disbelief in anime as long as the elements to the story hold up cohesively. But that aspect of Mei's character felt too slapped together for me.

Otherwise, that's the only thing I actually agree with dtm42 about as I also agree that he's blowing things way out of proportion with the quality of Another. Do I find the show to be a masterpiece? Not at all thanks to the mentioned plot hole and the show getting too over-the-top in later episodes. But its mystery was intricate enough where I did enjoy seeing the show from start to finish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Key, spoiler[Lain merely changed the internet, Godoka had a HomuHomu buff x many, Duck changed one story, Ayato and Quon had god-class machines specifically designed to do the task.] In each case there is a reason why reality could change. But in Another, the supernatural has the powers of God for no reason. I didn't realise the dead had that much power, and by all accounts they shouldn't. So your point has been rebutted. I mean, I thought we were talking about a curse here afflicting normal students in our world, not about a reality-changing event.

jl07045 wrote:
Secondly, I have made my thoughts available in a very summarized way over here. Don't try to divert the fire from yourself. I can't even meet you halfway if all you are capable of is superficial reasoning, retorts and insults.

Frankly, I don't think you're capable of a thousand word argument anyway. All I want here is for you to either take responsibility for your words or start behaving.

Now that people is an ad hominem attack.

Edit: as has been pointed out to me, while it is an attack, it is not an ad hominem attack.

You don't think I'm capable of writing an essay, huh. Anyone who has gone through university (and I have) knows how to write essays.

I do take responsibility for my words, and I am doing my best to behave in this thread; it takes a lot of self-control when I am surrounded by you people as I am now.

Oh, I know what you meant by "behaving"; you think the word means to believe what you believe. You're wrong about that and about Another. But the fact that you think I'm misbehaving for not sharing the same incorrect viewpoints as you do just makes me think, "wow, is this guy for real?"

And what the hell was that post you linked to? It certainly wasn't a well-constructed argument about the merits of relativism. It in fact, there wasn't a proper argument made at all. This is my favourite passage:

Quote:
And the general idea here is that most critics would value the second type of pleasure higher than the first, because there is a gain. Is it right to value it higher? The answer to that question will come after the question "What is the meaning of life?" is answered.

Yeah, way to dodge the issue pal with that cop-out answer.

Blood- wrote:
Don't be stupid. You claim there is only one good scene in Another and yet you watched the whole show. That does not seem psychologically plausible to me. I believe you found other parts of the show entertaining, as well, you simply don't have the intellectual honesty to admit it because you have become invested in claiming that Another's flaws render it unenjoyable. How can this belief of mine be a lie? Laughing Mind you, considering you don't even understand the difference between "fact" and "opinion" I shouldn't be surprised. Laughing

Oh, and by the way, I said that you DO watch shows with flaws and still find them enjoyable - you simply fail to understand when somebody other than yourself does so.

Let's break it downtown.

Okay, firstly, I really did only find one scene in the show to be good. But that is not to say that I found every other scene to be automatically bad. There is a third state of mind possible in a viewer; a big fat 'meh'. People can be bored you know.

Secondly, this is what you actually said:

Blood- wrote:
Well, what you fail to understand dtm42, is that people - yourself included, actually - can watch a show that has flaws and still derive enjoyment from it.

Which I outed as a lie, because I do know and understand that it is possible to enjoy a show that has flaws. I said so in the post that you quoted:

dtm42 wrote:
Just don't forget that I see and acknowledge the flaws in RahXephon and Puella Magi Madoka Magica and yet still rate them as the two best Anime I've ever encountered. So your assertion that I fail to understand that I can watch a show that has flaws and derive enjoyment from it is a patently false one and you're just trolling at this point.

Either trolling or delusional, take your pick; you can choose both if you want to. I have not only proven your initial assertion a lie - I do know that one can love flawed shows - but then shown how your subsequent assertion - that my proof (that I know I like flawed shows) was not valid - is patently false.

----------

Effin' heck, there are Gundam fanboys who are less defensive than you people.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
No, dtm42 - pay attention: my point is that even though you yourself watch flawed shows (i.e. RahXephon has some really, really terrible writing in it) and still derive enjoyment from the experience, you are not able to understand how that works for other people. If you did, you would understand why many of us enjoyed Another despite its flaws. It's a basic problem with you and your attempts at communication: you cannot project how other people think or feel, so you continue to act like an ass.

Classic point is that several people in this thread have pointed out that your attitude is dopey yet you steadfastly do not understand what we are saying.

It simply isn't natural for somebody like yourself who receives constant and consistent negative feedback from numerous posters on an ongoing basis to not, at some point, sit back and go, "hmmm, is it possible the multitude arrayed against me has a point?"
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
"Another" was, to me, an effective horror anime. Sometimes it foreshadows the deaths too much for them to be surprising, and the supernatural elements, red herrings, and some facial expressions were ridiculous (ala Higurashi), but the visuals and audio combination was superb. The characters, though too underdeveloped to actually care about most of them, had their own personalities and look that made them individuals. It was an enjoyable experience.

Can't wait for the dub and blu-ray from Sentai. (There better be a blu-ray...)
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Now that people is an ad hominem attack...

It is not, because I do not use it to refute any of your claims. This together with the way you use "fact" and "opinion" is exactly why I doubt you could come up with anything worthwile. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, but you have a talent of rubbing people the wrong way. You were pointed out the personal attacks you made against Key and the whole reason this banter started, so I can't understand how you missed what I meant by "behave". I'm sure mods have told you that before.

And about my link. No, it didn't contain in-depth arguments, only the summary of my views that I wrote for anyone who might be interested. I pointed that out already. Yet you didn't even have any criticism for that except a remark about cop-outs which disregards the context. However I'll gladly answer any objections and questions you might have in a pm if you decide to pursue this. The onus is still on you though.

Well, I'm out. See you next time spoiler[and behave]!
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Classic point is that several people in this thread have pointed out that your attitude is dopey yet you steadfastly do not understand what we are saying. This is why I am convinced you suffer from some social malady at best and undiagnosed mental issue at worst.

Serious question: are you currently on some kind of medication related to a mental as opposed to physical issue?

So you say that you believe I have a social malady or undiagnosed mental condition, or that I'm on medication related to a mental issue.

I guess I have my answer; you're not delusional, you're just trolling. And it isn't the joking kind of trolling either, this is malicious.

I'm happy to debate the show and its merits (or lack thereof), but do you really think I'm going to stand/sit here and just let that level of verbal abuse slide?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
As a person with a form of autism I take a bit of offense to trying to call others on mental issues. It is rather childish with these attacks with each other, did Hina teach you nothing, we need a 4 year old in here.

How is a fight still contuing, some of you liked it, while others felt the problems outweighed the good. Both are valid, hey look at any encyclopedia page, almost every single show will have people saying it was a "masterpiece", people saying it was "worst ever", what does that say. Lets look at the page for Another, we currently have 229 as very good and above and 43 as "good" and bellow. I am not trying to make a point of what the average rating is, but there is a difference of opinion, including 2 that thought it was "worst ever". We probably should also wait a while to get a bigger sample of what people thought.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
i only watched the first two eps of this anime. I think this anime did the job already. 33 pages for this thread.

Another is more popular in CR and it has more torrent download than some people's masterpiece Chihayafuru.
Another got Licensed in US. Not sure about the bluray sale number in Japan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Classic point is that several people in this thread have pointed out that your attitude is dopey yet you steadfastly do not understand what we are saying. This is why I am convinced you suffer from some social malady at best and undiagnosed mental issue at worst.

Serious question: are you currently on some kind of medication related to a mental as opposed to physical issue?

So you say that you believe I have a social malady or undiagnosed mental condition, or that I'm on medication related to a mental issue.

I guess I have my answer; you're not delusional, you're just trolling. And it isn't the joking kind of trolling either, this is malicious.

I'm happy to debate the show and its merits (or lack thereof), but do you really think I'm going to stand/sit here and just let that level of verbal abuse slide?

dtm42, you are the biggest troll on this site. Your continuous refusal to contemplate a change in your posting style despite constant and consistent negative feedback from numerous posters - including mods - suggests somebody who is, as I say, at minimum very seriously socially maladjusted or at worst suffering from some sort of mental illness which makes changing your posting behaviour impossible. I believe you mentioned you watch between 50 to 60 anime episodes a week - that doesn't leave much time for getting together with mates down at the pub, does it? Again, I have to assume the interpersonal repugnance you so amply demonstrate here at ANN is also a feature of your real life interaction with others and therefore you have no friends. That certainly would leave you sufficient time to watch 50 to 60 anime episodes a week wouldn't it?

Even ikillchicken, who at one time displayed the same kind of propensity that you do for irritating other posters/mods, has lately shown a genuine interest in changing his posting style. Only you merrily continue being an ass at virtually every opportunity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 34