• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Sentai Filmworks Licenses "Familiar of Zero F"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think we always have to bring up dubs when it comes to the fact few can deny the industry is ailing and not dubbing is without question restricting possible audiences.

and yet not dubbing everything without question has been how Sentai has been able make money in these rather poor times.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
I think we always have to bring up dubs when it comes to the fact few can deny the industry is ailing and not dubbing is without question restricting possible audiences.

and yet not dubbing everything without question has been how Sentai has been able make money in these rather poor times.

Quite: when weighing "restricting possible audiences" versus "dub series even when it is extremely likely that the result will lose money", not driving the company into bankruptcy has to come first.

There is, in other words, a reason why FUNimation did not pick up Familiar of Zero F: they only pick up series that their business model suggests as a possible money-maker with a dub.

The Sentai/Section23/Seraphim/TAN companyplex, on the other hand, is not restricted to just series that will justify a dub. Indeed, that is likely why they can pick up licenses so early: they can pick up first, and look at simulcast streaming results to finalize the decision of which series gets a hybrid release and which series gets a subtitle only release.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
They made a similar licensing error with To Love-Ru. hey released the first series, but skipped the second, 6 episode ova series and went straight to the 12 episode third series, which they call season 2. Now they have licensed season 4, To Love-Ru darkness, as the third season, leaving the real second season unlicensed and unreleased.

I bought seasons 1 and 3, but won't buy season 4 until season 2 is released.

1 and 3 are both subbed-only dvds, and I already have season 3 in bluray fansub rips with superior video and sub quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2