• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RightStuf: Heaven's Lost Property Forte Gets DVD-Only Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
agila61 wrote:
However, the majority of anime purchases on physical media in the US are DVDs.

Sadly you are right. DVD still sells more than BD in the U.S.
However, If I may say so myself, this stems not only from the fact that more people prefer to buy anime on DVD, but also from the fact that most of the anime in the U.S. is not distributed on Blu-ray in the first place (the opposite of what's happening in Japan today). Frankly, only FUNimation and Sentai are releasing Blu-rays on a regular basis. Aniplex releases BDs on an irregular basis, and so did Bandai until recently. The other distributors - Viz, Media Blasters, NIS and Nozomi - have a "no Blu-ray policy".
So let me ask you this: don't you think the percentage of those who buy anime on Blu-ray will go up if releases of anime on Blu-ray will become more common? I believe the anime Blu-ray market in the U.S. could grow exponentially but isn't given a chance at all.

Check Media Blaster's policy again. They're releasing a few titles on Blu-ray, and NISA I do believe has a couple titles that are out or coming out on Blu-ray.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I wish they could come flat out and say, "we can't do a BD now but there will definitely be a release in the future."

If DVD first then a definite BD or combo-pack later was their set release schedule or the norm, I wouldn't mind that at all. However, not knowing whether a BD is ever coming isn't a comfortable situation be in as a customer who prefers BD to DVD, wants to support a company licensing anime that they like, but doesn't want to be duped into double dipping either ie Media Blasters and Squid Girl.

N.R. wrote:
... NIS... have a "no Blu-ray policy".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the only shows NISA hasn't released on BD series that weren't available on BD in Japan at the time of the US release? That's less of a no blu-ray policy and more of a we can't magically conjure nonexistent BDs policy.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
N.R. wrote:
... NIS... have a "no Blu-ray policy".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the only shows NISA hasn't released on BD series that weren't available on BD in Japan at the time of the US release? That's less of a no blu-ray policy and more of a we can't magically conjure nonexistent BDs policy.

That doesn't stop Funimation from doing it! *coughFairyTailcough*
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
N.R. wrote:
agila61 wrote:

However, If I may say so myself, this stems not only from the fact that more people prefer to buy anime on DVD, but also from the fact that most of the anime in the U.S. is not distributed on Blu-ray in the first place (the opposite of what's happening in Japan today). Frankly, only FUNimation and Sentai are releasing Blu-rays on a regular basis. Aniplex releases BDs on an irregular basis, and so did Bandai until recently. The other distributors - Viz, Media Blasters, NIS and Nozomi - have a "no Blu-ray policy".
So let me ask you this: don't you think the percentage of those who buy anime on Blu-ray will go up if releases of anime on Blu-ray will become more common? I believe the anime Blu-ray market in the U.S. could grow exponentially but isn't given a chance at all.

Check Media Blaster's policy again. They're releasing a few titles on Blu-ray, and NISA I do believe has a couple titles that are out or coming out on Blu-ray.

Arakawa under the Bridge (Season 1 & 2) and Katanagatari are both coming out (if they aren't already) on blu-ray from NISA.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
agila61 wrote:

However, If I may say so myself, this stems not only from the fact that more people prefer to buy anime on DVD, but also from the fact that most of the anime in the U.S. is not distributed on Blu-ray in the first place (the opposite of what's happening in Japan today). ...

However, DVDs sell more than BD in the US overall, and that can't be because of anime company release strategies, because anime is a drop in the bucket as far as the whole US market goes.

Its only normal: the Japanese DVD market overall was more tilted to the premium end before BD's were introduced, and the US DVD market seems like the most mass-market focused of any high-income country market (low income country DVD markets tend toward mass market prices, but they also tend to bootleg rips ~ downscaled if necessary to compress a two-layer DVD into a single layer DVD-ROM). So when BD's were introduced, it was only natural that BD's would grow their market share more rapidly in Japan than in the US. Indeed, they may well have taken over a similar share of the high end part of the market, but the high end is a bigger share of the Japanese market and a smaller share of the US market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5