• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Stream Naruto on Naruto.com Within 1 Week of Japanese Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armless Penguin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:
I bet on day one all the fansub snots will have at least a million new excuses. Don't like the fonts, no karaoke opening text, a week is too long, not stealing ruins the "rebel-without-a-clue" factor, must be mistranslated because the F-Bomb is missing, isn't on a pirate website with the community they love... Did I miss anything? ... ingrates.

I agree. The first thing we're going to hear from those selfish-brats is nothing bitching and moaning. Seriously, fan subbers are the most winiest people ever.

Yes, I registered just to point out that this post is so hilariously ironic that it ought to win some sort of award.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Armless Penguin wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:
I bet on day one all the fansub snots will have at least a million new excuses. Don't like the fonts, no karaoke opening text, a week is too long, not stealing ruins the "rebel-without-a-clue" factor, must be mistranslated because the F-Bomb is missing, isn't on a pirate website with the community they love... Did I miss anything? ... ingrates.

I agree. The first thing we're going to hear from those selfish-brats is nothing bitching and moaning. Seriously, fan subbers are the most winiest people ever.

Yes, I registered just to point out that this post is so hilariously ironic that it ought to win some sort of award.

Damn, you beat me to it.

Anyways, kudos to Viz for this step forward. I pretty much agree with the "It won't stop fansubbers/watchers of fansubs but it's a step in the right direction" mentality.

Looking forward to seeing more in the coming weeks and months.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Conan-san, wouldn't your passion here be more constructively directed at telling a licensing company in your own country to try to do the same thing than being angry that it's being done in another country?
Why go tell some stupid smuck who can't blasted well release something as damn simple as Yu Yu Hakushou Properly to get the licence, get it put through the ringer by the BBFC and all that nonsence so that I can buy it at astronomicaly inflated prices when I can go to crunchy roll, hand them my £1.50 and get my High Quality Tower of Duraga episode within a week of it being out?

Not to mention the fact that Not a lot of people would probably buy uncut Digimon or Fist of the North Star so no amount of telling said smuck to get his finger out will get me any closer to geting my At-ta-ta-ta-ta on.

The point here is, I want it and will give them money for it. They're not giving me it and hence they are 100% in the wrong for it.

100% wrong huh? Last I checked, being willing to pay for something doesn't inherently mean that a person has the right to go and take it for themselves when it isn't available.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Well excuse me for wanting to buy something.

Hell, when I even mentioned BTing the shows, that's not even going to be an issue anyway because most fansubers, opposite what people might belive do leave things alone when they're licenced and airing uncut.

So realy I'm just up the creak.

But whatever, the US has it yay the us, leave us Europeons with our faces to the ground and stamp the back of our heads into the mud with your gloromeican boots.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Well excuse me for wanting to buy something.

Hell, when I even mentioned BTing the shows, that's not even going to be an issue anyway because most fansubers, opposite what people might belive do leave things alone when they're licenced and airing uncut.

So realy I'm just up the creak.

But whatever, the US has it yay the us, leave us Europeons with our faces to the ground and stamp the back of our heads into the mud with your gloromeican boots.

Way to take things out of context. There is little if anything that can be done on this side of the pond about licensing over in Europe, so complaining here really does no good. Like others have said, contacting companies there would be more effective.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:

Oh my aren't we the cynic. I am pretty sure most people who already have a method of watching new episodes are not going to change their ways. This is probably going to be much more helpful to the casual people who will now have a easy access to watching it.

That's probably whom Viz is aiming it. Casual fans can't be bothered with making sure they have the right program to run the videos, that they have the right codecs, if their computer is fast enough to play H.264 or what if they want to use just any computer not their own, or maybe how to use bittorrent and waiting an hour to download (factors depending), etc. Basically, it has to work with the widest laymen possible.

minakichan wrote:
That's pretty cool, but I wonder what the point of companies complaining about fansubs is then, if they're going to do the exact same thing. What, is the only difference advertisement? Why can't they just use the fansubbers and have them display their sponsors' ads? It'd be cheaper than hiring translators and subbers themselves, and let's face it, people watch fansubs for the speed AND for the subbing style, and these official subs aren't going to have extensive liner notes or whatever.

Well, if I'm a company, and I can get people to do the work for me for free, while I get to keep all the profit........... I'd be all for it! Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
tenebrusmke79 wrote:
Seeing as how things are with this news, I would say it's a safe bet that Naruto Shippuuden is definitely licensed by Viz.

I, for one, think this idea is groundbreaking. I will watch both the official subbed version and the dubbed version when they're released.

Does this mean that they're going to be showing both version at the same time when they're at the same point in the anime timeline?

HOT DOG! Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
There are definitely fansubbers and fansub consumers who whine and moan excessively. But I'm pretty sure Datebayo, which is the only fansub group that really matters when it comes to Naruto, will cease working on the title in the very near future.

Without a doubt some 2-bit fansub groups will continue to produce the fansubs for any one of multiple reasons, each with varying amounts of legitimacy.

"A week is is too long to wait for the free version"
"the streaming version isn't good quality video"
"their translation is no good"
"the streams aren't available in certain markets"
etc...

-t
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
There are definitely fansubbers and fansub consumers who whine and moan excessively. But I'm pretty sure Datebayo, which is the only fansub group that really matters when it comes to Naruto, will cease working on the title in the very near future.

Without a doubt some 2-bit fansub groups will continue to produce the fansubs for any one of multiple reasons, each with varying amounts of legitimacy.

etc...

-t

I agree with you there. Those "reasons" aren't good enough reasons to justify using a fansubber's version of the product.

Last edited by tenebrusmke79 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

etc...

-t
I repeat, the money's in my hand and all anyone needs to do is give me what I want.

I meen godamnit, I don't even download half the stuff I say I want to pay for.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Now if we can only get the box sets to be released as swiftly in the US as well...
Anime Wench

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. Way to go Viz.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Awesome! Now if we can only get the box sets to be released as swiftly in the US as well...

A box set for shows that aren't done is pretty unlikely. Plus it takes time to dub something, provided the company decides to go that route. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

*sigh* I was thinking this too. Kudos to them for sticking to unlicenced series, but if DB stops fansubbing Shippuuden, what happens to those of us outside the US/Canada region? Sad
Open season for every fansub wannabe who ever wanted to try their hand at Shipp'!
Actually, I'm surprised the Anime companies aren't doing some sort of legit streaming into SE Asia where the vast majority of Shippuuden fans probably are - hmm, I wonder, must do a quick search around .....
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:

*sigh* I was thinking this too. Kudos to them for sticking to unlicenced series, but if DB stops fansubbing Shippuuden, what happens to those of us outside the US/Canada region? Sad

The only thing to say here is have patience. It may happen for you in your area, yblees. You just have to wait for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7