• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where may I find DVD shelves?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Pretty simple question.

I'm out of space, and I need some nice big ones. Preferably the ones with the wide open shelves, since I have anime box sets and all.

Thanks!
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:44 am Reply with quote
Wal-mart my friend. I just bought one that holds like 360 from Wal-mart for 20 bucks. It's awesome, really sturdy and holds a crap-load of dvd's. I really reccomend it to anyone who needs more space Wink . Hope this helps Tony.

~LoneWolf
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
A quick suggestion, don't buy anything that doesn't have a full or lower-half back to it. Anything that has big gaps at the bottom of the shelves are a nightmare if anything should happen to fall over and slip out the back.

Walmart had these really nice ones made out of black painted particle-board that were sturdy and stackable, only about $10 each. I have 6 of them, but they're all packed and Walmart no longer carries those shelves. Confused

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I checked Wal-Mart a couple of months ago, but found nothing I particularly liked. Are there any other suggestions? The two racks I currently have are like this one. It's quite flimsy in that it likes to lean to the side at times; very annoying, and a pain to move around because of the fear it may fall apart in my very hands as soon as I pick it up.
robka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I got two DVD shelves at IKEA. One holds about 88 DVDs and the second holds about 60 or so. They're really durable too since they're made of solid wood. Just check out their website, I'm sure you'll find something suitable for your needs Smile .
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
You might check Lowe's for some cheap shelving. Personally, I like the shelves that you buy seperately and then screw into the wall. They look really classy but are more expensive. But then, if you don't like the cheap imports at Walmart, then you'll definitely be paying more elsewhere.

My sister bought some of the large book cases at Walmart, the 6 ft'ers. Then she took the paper backs off of them and has them sticking off her walls just like at the library. She utilizes both sides of them for books and dvd since they are fat shelves. You really don't see the shelves at all cause only the sides show and those are covered with pictures.

While you're at Lowe's, you can buy some brackets to fix your current shelves.

If you're completely out of room, you might consider buying new and smaller dvd cases to replace your fat ones.

And I really like Ikea too! They have these nifty racks for $1.50 that hold dvds. They have a store in Houston but I don't know how often you get there.

Geez, start a woman talkin' about shoppin' and she doesn't ever stop!
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The two racks I currently have are like this one.

Yeah, that's the type that I suggest avoiding. Not only because they're flimsy, but if anything falls over it's going to slide right off the back. Unsturdy and unreliable.

This is what I use. Wish Walmart would carry them again. Sad

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
Sauder and O'sullivan makes really good DVD/CD/VHS Tape shelves.

I have a O'sullivan shelving unit that is 5' tall and 3' wide. It can be configured for a max of 27 DVD shelves (you would have extra shelf boards sitting around doing this), holding 19 DVD's per box. It can hold approx 342 regular DVD's

Using all the shelves, it can hold at least 756 regular CD's, but no DVD's.

Configuring for VHS tapes, it'll probably hold less than half of the amount of DVD's you can put on the shelving unit.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jkn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:05 am Reply with quote
For my studio, we ended up putting a bunch of track shelving up (from Lowe's...). Picked out various length standards, some brackets for the shelves, and then the shelves. Everything is white (although there aren't many color options anyway...this was what we wanted - they pop out nicely from the darker orange walls behind them.)

If you own your home - this is a great thing. I've rearranged the shelves multiple times. Originally a section was all cd's - that's been all changed to dvd's now. Downside is that this is more expensive than quite a few other options - but it's more flexible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1