• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aquarion Evol (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Speculation wise, there's really been nothing to really put a basis on who is whose reincarnation. Kagura looks a bit and acts like Apollo. Amata has the Solar Wings and no 'smell' but many think he may be Apollonius's reincarnation.
I'm of the opinion that they're both parts of the same reincarnation, though that isn't really different from your speculation. In this context, Amata has no smell to Kagura because Kagura wouldn't smell himself.

spoiler[I was a bit disappointed that it was Jin and not Yunoha who suffered. Yunoha should have been pretty screwed up by going through the gate, though I guess they never went all the way through. I think having something happen to her would pack more emotional punch, but then, it's not that kind of show.]

Also, I feel like the show isn't gay enough. Which is a weird thing to say, but there were no apologies about it in the first Aquarion, and it fit with the whole "screw it" attitude the show had towards convention. I feel like this show has been a lot more standard, but maybe that'll change.

So, what do the launch tubes the vectors go through remind you of?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
So far, everything has ended up being alright spoiler[like the time Shrade nearly died, but didn't. Jin actually dying] made this anime become a lot more serious.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy watching Neo Deava's side of things and still don't know much about the enemies' side. Even though their motives are explained around episode 7, I feel like I should watch the first show or OVAs for better understanding.

So, I'm planning to watch the Genesis of Aquarion OVAs and then continue with EVOL from episode 8. I don't feel like I"m missing certain important plot points even if they maybe pretty thin.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14

I'm writing this as I watch the episode but here are some minor revelations from this episode:

Mykage/Mikage says spoiler["And the reborn Wings of the Sun finally revealed itself".] I'll take this as confirmation that the character I had in mind is the reincarnation of Apollonius. Although, it's still possible that this is a split reincarnation.

Later, during the spoiler[funeral scene, Fudo approaches Mikono and tells her to 'force' Yunoha out of her room. Mikono says she wants to leave Yunoha along. Fudo comments that she hasn't change.] I don't exactly remember which character in Genesis had the same behavior as Mikono but maybe this just means this character is the reincarnation of the Genesis character.

The way Mykage/Mikage spoke during the special training reminds me of the Angels from Genesis as well. This fabulous bastard must be an Angel.

Then there's the part where spoiler[Mikono says "Happy Birthday" and everyone is "reborned." Subtle hinting that she's the "True Eve" much?] And... it looks like we have a party crasher.

Kawamori be trolling us.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
All right, it's crazy guess time, thanks to spoiler[Zessica's underground statement that Mikono would choose Kagura, because she's Sylvie's reincarnation. I think Zessica has the vision backwards (see below). There was never much of a love triangle with Sylvie/Celiane at the middle. Instead...]

spoiler[Amata=Toma, of all people, while Zessica is Otoha, not Celiane. Otoha hated Apollonius for breaking Toma's heart, and Zessica is afraid that Mikono will break Amata's heart, and is beginning to hate her. Which makes Mikono Apollo/Apollonius/Aquarion, who will choose Kagura (Celiane/Sylvie/Sirius) and not Amata (Toma). After all, it was Apollo and Aquarion that had the ability to force people together, which seems to be similar to Mikono's. Plus, Nenshin Gattai!]
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I think I might be in love with this show.

I mean, it's not a masterpiece or anything, and I don't know if I'd recommend it to somebody unfamiliar with giant robot shows. But the sheer extravagance of it all is basically unbeatable. It's a bit like a combination of Gurren Lagann and the crazier aspects of Macross, which considering this series's heritage totally makes sense.

Occasionally the characterization of Mikono makes me wince. But then the music kicks in and THE INFINITY PUNCH BREAKS DOWN THE BERLIN WALL and everything is amazing once more. Part of me feels guilty that I've seen the first four episodes of this and none of Chihayafuru, but hell, I'll get around to the latter sooner or later.

Also if there's one thing I can say about this show, it's that it makes me want to check out the original Aquarion. I don't think I would have ever said that in a hundred years, but here you go!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 15:

Man, Kagura is so tsundere. Which doesn't do much to dissuade me from my theory that spoiler[Kagura=Sylvie]. Then again, they might be the other way around (the more obvious way) and things are just different this time.

A couple more wild guesses:

spoiler[Cayenne = Moroha, since he tried to kill Kagura (who I want to call Celiane) but was stopped (eventually) by Mikono (who I want to call Apollonius).]

spoiler[Shush = The Wings of the Sun. Just because]

spoiler[Fudo Zen = Sirius. It seems like the DEAVA folks represent the Angels, while the other dudes represent the humans. But Sirius switched sides to support the Angels for a time, and if Gen Fudou was the other pilot with Celiane and Apollonius, the parallel is there.]

spoiler[Mikage = Gen Fudou. Because honestly, who else has that much fun manipulating and abusing his own people?]

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I watched Aquarion, it's tough for me to remember a lot of the characters and plots.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Considering Kagura's power is reverse, his whole mentality is probably reversed. Judging from this episode, I take it that when he says "kill" he means consummation/sex or something of the sort. But that only applies when he talks to Mikono.

Kagur and spoiler[Shushu] are OTP.

Kawamori's having too much fun messing with us. I want hard evidence on the reincarnations! I want more information! Even with knowledge of Genesis, we can't theorize too much at all.

Glorious ED this episode too.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I'd hate to double post but its my only way of bumping up this thread and talking about this unless a mod can combine my above post and keep the thread bumped.

Episode 16

I really should had prepare a defibrillator with me for this episode. I hnng'd too much at spoiler[Zessica's confession.] Not only did I squealed but I broke out in some weird dancing ritual. I was really tired from a small trip yet I had the energy to do a weird dance. That's how energized I became just from that scene.

So, onto the actual discussion of this episode. There were some vague lines that I need clarification or speculation on:

Zessica: spoiler[Fate's not what matters. It's our truth right here and now!]

~Skips some lines and a beautiful scene along with some other awesome scenes~

Fudo: spoiler[A heart that searches for the truth. And a heart that searches for true love. The two have become one in harmony and the forbidden power has been awakened.]

So, who are the people Fudo referring to? It's a bit vague and I referred the spoiler["truth" as Amata and the "true love" as Zessica.] Zessica's line confuses me and makes me think otherwise though. Then spoiler[Mikono] may also be applied as in it as well.

The used of a flashback was nicely done this episode. I think Aquarion EVOL should be awarded for its used of the flashback.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I really should had prepare a defibrillator with me for this episode. I hnng'd too much at spoiler[Zessica's confession.] Not only did I squealed but I broke out in some weird dancing ritual. I was really tired from a small trip yet I had the energy to do a weird dance. That's how energized I became just from that scene.

I was totally grinning from ear to ear and chuckling to myself the entire time, that's about as extreme a reaction as you're liable to get from me. It's a reaction reserved for just such moments and episode 16 was awesome. There was a period in previous episodesspoiler[ I thought Zessica might go a little crazy (crushing lamp posts and all) but I'm glad to see she seems relatively stable again. I love Mikono to pieces but I'm Team Zessica in this particular triangle]. Sadly, I don't see it happening but, they may surprise me yet.

As an aside, the new ED that started since episode... 15? I think? Is a bit too weird for me, I can't take Yunoha's seiyuu seriously as a singer at all Laughing
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
As an aside, the new ED that started since episode... 15? I think? Is a bit too weird for me, I can't take Yunoha's seiyuu seriously as a singer at all Laughing
"Omna Magni," the ED of the first Aquarion series, was a pretty bizarre song, though in a very different way. Have you been listening to the lyrics of the EDs for Evol? Bizarre, depressing stuff about the power of love, which really works for this series.

Looking at that flashback stuff, the old series looks pretty rough (artistically) compared to this one.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of the OP and ED, I don't really like this new OP too much. I'm alright with the current ED but it doesn't compare to the first ED. Like dirkusbirkus, I can't take Yunoha's seiyuu as a singer seriously but I think I'm slowly accepting it. The song is pretty nice though.

I've been lurking /a/'s Aquarion threads so I manage to scoop up a translated interview with Kawamori:

-ep 16 will focus on the relationship between Amata, Mikono & Zessica. After ep 16 Zessica's heart will tremble greatly (not sure how to say this in English)
-The fight between Kagura and Amata over Mikono will be important.
-Mikage's goals will affect Amata, Kagura, Mikono, and Zessica
-Mykage is connected to a certain someone from Genesis
-The key to Mykage's motivation is a certain incident 12000 years ago
-Mykage knows the reason why Alisia left Amata
-There's no rule saying that lovers in previous life must be lovers in this life*
-spoiler[Jin's death] was already decided before auditions were held for him

The untranslated version (for those who can read Japanese and confirm the above translation as accurate):

・アマタ、ミコノ、ゼシカの関係は16話が見どころ。16話以降、ゼシカの女
心はけっこう揺れ動く
・今後はミコノを挟んだアマタとカグラの攻防戦がポイント
・ミカゲの野望にアマタ、カグラ、ミコノ、ゼシカが関わっている
・ミカゲは前作の誰かとつながりのある人物
・1万2千年前にあったある出来事が、ミカゲの行動の鍵
・今後の注目は、地球とアステカの因果と、アマタと母親の再会
・ミカゲはアマタがアリシアに捨てられた理由を知っている
・前世で恋人でも、今生でも恋人にならなくちゃいけない法はない
・ジンの死はオーディションのときにすでに決まっていた

*I've only watched Genesis a year or so ago and I've forgotten a lot. I'm sure that this was an important part of Genesis and the relationship between Apollo and Silvia.

Also, the preview for the next episode. I'm pretty excited about. There'll be swimsuits but that's not my point. A spoiler[Cherubim appears and it's fighting with an Aquarion Gepard. Only Shadow Angels are able to pilot Cherubims, correct?]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
-There's no rule saying that lovers in previous life must be lovers in this life*

*I've only watched Genesis a year or so ago and I've forgotten a lot. I'm sure that this was an important part of Genesis and the relationship between Apollo and Silvia.

There aren't really any well-established "rules" about reincarnation at all. They don't necessarily have to look or act similar, or have similar powers, or have similar relationships. There does seem to be an implication that love can create attraction between people through reincarnation (which is different from saying they must be lovers, so I think he's saying that Mikono could end up with Amata).

EmbraceMe wrote:
Also, the preview for the next episode. I'm pretty excited about. There'll be swimsuits but that's not my point. A spoiler[Cherubim appears and it's fighting with an Aquarion Gepard. Only Shadow Angels are able to pilot Cherubims, correct?]

Again, there aren't really any clear rules. We have yet to see one of them in this time, so who knows what kind of person can pilot them. Mikage? Did Sirius ever pilot one?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I just looked at my posts from last week... I must have been derping pretty hard when I typed them.

Anyways, Episode 17 was bananas.

It's too tempting to make penis jokes about some of the dialogue but I'll refrain from that. The girls looked nice in their swimsuits and Suomi was rockin'.

This whole episode was laughter for me especially when spoiler[Andy confessed and acknowledge he was setting up a death flag. He should had chose a better line to say instead.] Laughing When he falls into depression and spoiler[starts sinking into the hole he digs, I'm sure they uncovered a "Mugen Punch" arm. I was skeptical but a brighter version of the picture released all my doubts.] That just makes me question how the current Aquarion came to be though.

I'm not a big fan of Zessica's new dress though. The chest needs some alterations.

The lack of discussion in this thread makes me feel like I'm the only person watching it. I guess there isn't too much to discuss.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Zessica's new dress though. The chest needs some alterations.

I thought her dress was an attempt at being more modest; however, black straps that look like tape that only cover her nipples doesn't scream "modest" to me.

Andy's mistake was hilarious. The love triangle can be annoying at times though; Here's Mikono's logic: "Amata was with Zessica on the stairs, in public; I need to be really mad, even though I'm not interested in him."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4