• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zetman (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Zetman (TV)

Plot Summary: There are two forces in the world: the Zet, who are entrusted with the survival of humanity, and the Alphas, who have chosen an extreme form of justice. In a certain city, Jin lives under a bridge with an old man, struggling to pay off debts. He carries the destiny of humanity's survival. Kouga lives on a hill and stands to inherit vast wealth. In his admiration for heroes, he seeks out the meaning of justice. They don't know it now, but they are destined to one day meet.

An okay first episode I suppose. Kinda sad that it looks like their going for a compressed adaption. Well hopefully they won't mess with the central themes too much doing it this way. Fight scenes look like they'll be pretty impressive at least.

Last edited by Divineking on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Looks great for a first episode. I haven't read the manga yet but I'm impressed with the execution of the violence, action, and drama/emotional style.

Do want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Looks great for a first episode. I haven't read the manga yet but I'm impressed with the execution of the violence, action, and drama/emotional style.

Do want.

I pretty much agree with all of this. The only thing that irked me is just how Jin looked. I didn't really like his outfit or anything but it's such a small detail and not really a flaw. I liked spoiler[the fight between him and the tongue guy.] Looking forward to next one.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't bad.... but I'm not watching more. The heroes weren't so bad and I had no problem feeling sympathetic about the death of the old man or the wounding of the nice lady, but I hate, absolutely LOATHE, 90% of anime villains and this was setting up to provide a bakers dozen of the worst kind. Cliched Psychos or EVIL power-hungry superior bastards whose main motivation is always that they are... EVIL power-hungry superior bastards- it's just who they are. This one had, what?, Four bad guys at least? and I hated everyone of them- not in the way you're supposed to hate a bad guy who is threatening your hero, but hated them for being written as shallow shells that are interchangeable with villains in dozens upon hundreds of other anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first episode: I think it has potential. I enjoyed Akemi and Jin seems like a good protagonist.

I did enjoy Jin going Super Saiyan 2.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It wasn't bad.... but I'm not watching more. The heroes weren't so bad and I had no problem feeling sympathetic about the death of the old man or the wounding of the nice lady, but I hate, absolutely LOATHE, 90% of anime villains and this was setting up to provide a bakers dozen of the worst kind. Cliched Psychos or EVIL power-hungry superior bastards whose main motivation is always that they are... EVIL power-hungry superior bastards- it's just who they are. This one had, what?, Four bad guys at least? and I hated everyone of them- not in the way you're supposed to hate a bad guy who is threatening your hero, but hated them for being written as shallow shells that are interchangeable with villains in dozens upon hundreds of other anime.

You should mention that on this thread. It's quite hard to find a unique villain in anime with the same genre as this one, but it's not altogether impossible. I also have this impression that his childhood friend Kouga will grow up to be his archenemy. Total cliche.

The first episode is not bad. I don't quite like its art style. Not my type. Jin looked awful. But he'll grow up eventually so I think he'll look better. Kouga looked like a young Furuichi (hehe). The plot seems interesting enough, although I did not really see how the idea of two having two forces as mentioned in the plot summary (Zet and Alpha) fits everything that happened with Jin. Jin is unique and everyone's out to get him but outside of his special circumstances, what the hell's happening with the world? This will probably explored later in the anime, I don't know why I'm being so nitpicky about it. Confused

I might watch a few more episodes, just to see how the plot unfolds. Anything remotely sci-fi isn't really my cup of tea, but if this proves good enough, I just might follow it to the end.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
I also have this impression that his childhood friend Kouga will grow up to be his archenemy. Total cliche.

Yeah, it's so cliché that Phi Brain is currently doing it as well. It's just sad when two animes are doing the same cliché at the same time. Hopefully, if they are enemies, they're just temporarily enemies (i.e. such as him not realizing his friend is Zetman or something) and not continuously enemies despite knowing who each other is.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
4750G wrote:
I also have this impression that his childhood friend Kouga will grow up to be his archenemy. Total cliche.

Yeah, it's so cliché that Phi Brain is currently doing it as well. It's just sad when two animes are doing the same cliché at the same time. Hopefully, if they are enemies, they're just temporarily enemies (i.e. such as him not realizing his friend is Zetman or something) and not continuously enemies despite knowing who each other is.

That's actually part of the reason why I dropped Phi Brain. I actually liked it at first, but watching Rook sabotage Kaito's friends was exhausting. I think the scenario you presented is possible - in the ending theme of the song showed Jin and Kouga fighting the same guy, though at different times. Maybe there will come a point where they decide to join forces in order to bring down a common enemy.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Why is no one bitching about how impossible it seems that a 10-year old would have no idea what TEARS are?! Or hope, etc. That part of the storytelling just took me right out of it.

And honestly, I've got no problem with dark, shonen cliches, as long as they're well executed - which remains to be seen with this, but I'll still give it a shot. Plus I'm a fan of Masakazu Katsura.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Scaramanga wrote:
Why is no one bitching about how impossible it seems that a 10-year old would have no idea what TEARS are?! Or hope, etc. That part of the storytelling just took me right out of it.

Because he isn't human and apparently, he's never suffered sadness before.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:

Because he isn't human and apparently, he's never suffered sadness before.

And hence why I call bullshit. I'm sorry, but it seems like it would be well-nigh impossible to have NOT experienced sadness or tears in ten years. Especially if you live in a slum. Also, apparently he doesn't know what "hope" is either. I'm sorry, in 10 years did his "grandpa" not explain any of these things to him? Seems unlikely based on the speech he gives about justice and violence in the first minutes of the show. It was just heavy-handed and dumb.

OK reading over that it sounds like I hate the show. But really I think it's OK so far in spite of these little issues.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Now that we're several years into the future now: Mamoru Miyano is one of the seiyuus; it seems he's in just about everything I watch. I suppose the same can be said of Kana Hanazawa; she is also in this one.

I enjoyed that the prediction that spoiler[Kouga and Jin would be enemies was incorrect; that preview scene just made it look that way. Was the person Jin called "auntie" the same woman from episode 1?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The ending of episode 2 made me feel a little depressed, I hope this is not the kind of show that woll crush my soul for growing attached to people.
Miranox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was okay but the second is starting to deviate from the manga quite a bit. They're even cutting out details which are relevant to the story. The creators probably don't plan on making a second season. Things aren't looking good for poor Zetman. It finally gets an anime adaptation and it turns out to be a hatchet job.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So what's the deal here? Can we expect spoiler[Auntie to be injured/kidnapped/killed every episode? I figured with her scarring in eppie one that maybe she'd be safe for a while.] But no. I really hate that ham-fisted, emotional manipulation bullshit. Mainly because I fall for it, every time. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3