• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Fights Piracy Abroad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
No, I perceive it as gouging because IT IS. Remember video prices in America in the eighties? They were much higher then. Now they've gone down significantly. Japanese prices have remained the same. You prove my point.

The Japanese have a different pricing system. For example, magnetic media such as VHS & audio tape are priced based on the length of the actual media. This is why it was cheaper for us old-timers to buy laserdiscs and CDs than video tapes & audio cassettes.

Also, a Japanese person's wages are higher than an American's, so in proportion, the prices are about level. It just seems higher to us because we are looking at it from our wage levels, not their's. It's the same as a third-world country looking at us. They would percieve our prices as outrageous, but when our weekly wages are equal to their monthly (or yearly) income, you understand why.

Twage wrote:
Japan has CD/DVD rental stores that sell CD/DVD burners and recordable media and expect the consumer to put two and two together. Don't tell me that's not more blatant than in the US, where piracy is still limited to people with some knowledge of the Internet.

Again, a different pricing model. In Japan, the companies earn a percentage on every rental, as opposed to most US companies that make a one-time sale to the rental stores. So even if each person who rented made a copy, the companies are still compensated each time.

Piracy goes beyond those that know the internet. There are people who know people who know the internet. There is also the bootleggers who sell to people through retail shops. This is why I find the bootleggers more of a problem, because a person who doesn't know jack about pirating media can simply walk in and purchase something that they just have to drop into their DVD player and play.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Region coding in Europe is R2 PAL, or SECAM a derivative of PAL. But it’s not uncommon to be able to buy a Multi-Region DVD player quite cheaply, I can quite proudly say that I have never ripped, or downloaded any genre on any media. I have never seen a fansub or knowing watched a bootleg TV series, or movie ever in my life. I work in the broadcasting industry in the UK and I know what it takes for someone with a good idea, or a story to get it produced and aired, and/or published. It's damn hard work and expensive. Many fail. Knowing this I will never watch a fansub , or bootleg, no matter how badly I would like to see it. It's a matter of honour, ethics, and integraty. And really it is only entertainment, as Tempest quite rightly pointed out. If one is so totally reliant on anime for one's happyness to feel forced to commit a criminal act, then one needs to purge this shameful behavior, get out more and seek other forms of amusement. Idle minds are the devil's workshop.

Authors and artists are no less craftsmen in their trade then an electrician, plumber, doctor, accountant, banker, journalist, or any other trade one can think of that most everyone strives hard to become to earn a living and put meat on table. A new story is the same as a new invention. It’s unique and therefore the author, like an inventor, needs to have protection from any form of copying, or plagiarism, that would threaten his, or her earnings from their hard work and brilliance. But sadly with the world as it is, such protections are proving more and more inadequate, especially in the world of media. Many companies are aware of the magnitude of the problem and the cost of countering the damage. Has anyone ever considered that perhaps part of the high retail price of our favourite pastime is to make up for the loss of profits suffered by these studios and licensed distributors from cheap or, even free, illegal copies flooding their market? But they can not keep doing this else they cause a backlash from their customers.
Japan’s economy is still in the doldrums of the global crash of the late 90’s with high unemployment and a recession that they just can’t seem to lighten up. Many there are having to watch their yen that just doesn’t buy as much as it use to in the “Good old days”. Historically Japan has always been an insular nation, not really caring what goes on in the world off their shores that’s why there are no Japanese versions of Christopher Columbus, or Captain Cook, Not caring until it starts to effect them at home that is. A company can not raise their prices in a recession. It's business suicide.
On this ethos many companies there are being forced to look more and more to their overseas exports to make any kind of a profit, and they do not like what they are finding. I suggest that Japan’s silence in the past to fansubs, or bootlegs, has been misinterpreted by many outside as meaning “we don’t care, go ahead!” The sticker approach is a bit lame, but it’s a flag to all and sundry that they most definantly want it to stop. They will have to do more than that for that to happen though. Like putting English and Chinese subs on their internal releases. That would instantly remove the main reason for fansubbing in short order and expose the bootleggers who hide behind that facade. I for one am glad to see them at least start to try to do something about it. They can rest assured that the UK Police in conjunction with the FBI and Interpol are doing their bit to stop the pirates with monthly raids and convictions. Fansubbing for yourself is no crime, though I can't see the point if one can understand Japanese and English. Offering it outside your four walls for any reason however, is, full stop.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Again, a different pricing model. In Japan, the companies earn a percentage on every rental, as opposed to most US companies that make a one-time sale to the rental stores. So even if each person who rented made a copy, the companies are still compensated each time.

That's not really true. For the last 5-6 years+ virtually everyone is engaged in some kind of profit sharing scheme that Blockbuster originated. The studios provide the media pretty much at the cost of making it, and they split the rental revenue.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
That's not really true. For the last 5-6 years+ virtually everyone is engaged in some kind of profit sharing scheme that Blockbuster originated. The studios provide the media pretty much at the cost of making it, and they split the rental revenue.

It'd be nice if the anime companies would do it. I could spend more on keeping my sale DVDs stocked rather than keeping up with the new releases for my rental section.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It'd be nice if the anime companies would do it. I could spend more on keeping my sale DVDs stocked rather than keeping up with the new releases for my rental section.

They simply don't have the volume to make it profitable(really for anyone), Unfortunately

Quote:
No, I perceive it as gouging because IT IS. Remember video prices in America in the eighties? They were much higher then. Now they've gone down significantly. Japanese prices have remained the same. You prove my point.

Hardly. Prices HAVE gone down. Virtually all DVD reissues are cheaper than their LD counterparts by quite a large margin. (for example, it used to be 5800yen for 2 episodes for many TV series and OVA, now 4 is more and more the standard).

You honestly don't have any knowlege of the Japanese market, quit while you're behind.
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:47 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
Also, a Japanese person's wages are higher than an American's, so in proportion, the prices are about level.

Maybe that used to be true, but the Japanese economy has crashed since the eighties.

Quote:
Piracy goes beyond those that know the internet. There are people who know people who know the internet. There is also the bootleggers who sell to people through retail shops. This is why I find the bootleggers more of a problem, because a person who doesn't know jack about pirating media can simply walk in and purchase something that they just have to drop into their DVD player and play.

Quote:
Hardly. Prices HAVE gone down. Virtually all DVD reissues are cheaper than their LD counterparts by quite a large margin. (for example, it used to be 5800yen for 2 episodes for many TV series and OVA, now 4 is more and more the standard).

You honestly don't have any knowlege of the Japanese market, quit while you're behind.

Have prices for DVDs gone down? Not yet. Everyone thinks for some reason I'm making some sort of far-reaching statement when all I'm saying is, "Maybe a combination of a stringent legal strategy and reduced prices for media will do something to drive down bootlegging and piracy." That's all. Japanese pricing systems, exchange rates, rental store contracts, all these things have nothing to do with it. I don't know if you keep bringing these things up because you want to show off your knowledge or what, but try to stick to the subject and I'll try to stick to my areas of knowledge, OK?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe that used to be true, but the Japanese economy has crashed since the eighties.

And yet the dollar/yen ratio is HALF that of 20 years ago. You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Have prices for DVDs gone down? Not yet. Everyone thinks for some reason I'm making some sort of far-reaching statement when all I'm saying is, "Maybe a combination of a stringent legal strategy and reduced prices for media will do something to drive down bootlegging and piracy." That's all. Japanese pricing systems, exchange rates, rental store contracts, all these things have nothing to do with it. I don't know if you keep bringing these things up because you want to show off your knowledge or what, but try to stick to the subject and I'll try to stick to my areas of knowledge, OK?

Stop trying to refute me with your "this is how I think it is"(paraphrase). You keep missing the point entirely. Go back and re-read previous posts, I'm sick of repeating myself. To sum up

If the exchange rate was the same as it was before, you wouldn't be bitching

Yen in 1984- approx 240-$1US. The average anime DVD (5800yen) would have been $24.16
Yen in 2004- approx 115-$1US. The average anime DVD (5800yen) is $50.50

THE PRICE TO THE JAPANESE CONSUMER HAS NOT CHANGED. In fact adjusting for inflation it HAS gotten cheaper, and the cost per episode has reduced dramatically.

Therefore, the yen is worth approximately double what it was, therefore, the cost to US consumers is double what it used to be. DEAL WITH IT. Other countries are very expensive, and we are quite fortunate to live in a country where things are so cheap.

I suggest you bring your complaints to your local representative in DC asking him/her to improve things so that you reach a better exchange rate
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
And yet the dollar/yen ratio is HALF that of 20 years ago. You don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry, I realize you probably do know more about Japanese economic history than me, but I still don't understand what the exchange rate has to do with the domestic economic crash and subsequent recession and deflation.

Quote:
Stop trying to refute me with your "this is how I think it is"(paraphrase). You keep missing the point entirely. Go back and re-read previous posts, I'm sick of repeating myself. To sum up

No, I understand your point about the exchange rates. And I understand that the cost to the Japanese consumer has not changed (in fact, that's what my whole argument was based on). You're right, repeating yourself isn't going to help. Maybe try explaining in a different way what you think I'm still not getting?

Quote:
THE PRICE TO THE JAPANESE CONSUMER HAS NOT CHANGED. In fact adjusting for inflation it HAS gotten cheaper, and the cost per episode has reduced dramatically.

Well, I can't see how that can be since Japan has not only undergone deflation for at least the last five years, but also the net inflation from the nineties has already been cancelled out by deflation in 2000-2003 alone.

Quote:
Therefore, the yen is worth approximately double what it was, therefore, the cost to US consumers is double what it used to be. DEAL WITH IT. Other countries are very expensive, and we are quite fortunate to live in a country where things are so cheap.

I'm not complaining about the price to me. I'm saying that reducing the prices to Japanese people might help keep down bootlegging and piracy in Japan to Japanese people. Studies show (unfortunately I've lost this particular link) that if someone feels they can afford it they will prefer the legal option. It makes them feel less guilty.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not complaining about the price to me. I'm saying that reducing the prices to Japanese people might help keep down bootlegging and piracy in Japan to Japanese people. Studies show (unfortunately I've lost this particular link) that if someone feels they can afford it they will prefer the legal option. It makes them feel less guilty.

Unfortunately the amount of money they need to sell worth of DVDs, and the market for them in the best of times isn't going to support a massive price reduction. The bootlegging problem isn't going to be solved by price reductions. Japan actually has a very low(proportionally) bootleg problem, with most of them being moved through Yahoo Japan Auctions, which is far more popular than Ebay there.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I realize you probably do know more about Japanese economic history than me, but I still don't understand what the exchange rate has to do with the domestic economic crash and subsequent recession and deflation.

The value of the world standard currency in comparison to the yen, the dollar. Since the yen is at over twice its value compared to the dollar than it was in 1984, this is an indication of strength. At the depths of their crash, it was down to almost 150-$1US, down from an early 90s high in the 80yen-$1US range.

Inflation/deflation matters when it causes prices to change. AKA your same salary buys less than it used to. But since prices have not changed, and have actually gone down, the same 5800yen buys MORE than it used to in 1984. Combine that with the increased content levels at lower prices, then, they have lowered the prices, and you're just not seeing it because the single-unit prices are high. Another thing you have to understand is that the price of animation is through the roof. Evangelion was made for around $2.5 million for the entire series. Ghost in the Shell:SAC is lucky to crank out 6-7 episodes for that.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I think we are having context problems here:

1980's: 5800 yen = 1-2 episodes per disc (laser)
2000's: 5800 yen = 3-4 episodes per disc (DVD)

Same price, more content and you don't have to buy 2 DVDs to get the same episode count. Something like how Apple's iMacs are usually the same prices, but each upgrade gets you better features and a more powerful computer.

Japan wants to fight piracy abroad (not so much in their own country because they have a better handle on it within their own borders) because piracy dilutes the amount of money they can make by selling their entertainment overseas. The rights for Initial D or Dragonball isn't worth as much if the country they are selling to has rampent bootlegs and everyone has already bought the series from pirates.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
I think we are having context problems here:

1980's: 5800 yen = 1-2 episodes per disc (laser)
2000's: 5800 yen = 3-4 episodes per disc (DVD)

hmm thats funny because every r2 I have only has either 1 or 2 episodes on it.

but that could just be the ones I have.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:

OAVs or TV Series? I'm not saying that all are like that, but I seem to remember the TV series DVDs are more likely to have three or more episodes on them.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:25 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:

OAVs or TV Series? I'm not saying that all are like that, but I seem to remember the TV series DVDs are more likely to have three or more episodes on them.
TV
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:45 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:

In Japan, TV anime is rarely released on DVD at 3 episodes per disc. 1 to 2 is the standard.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:09 am Reply with quote
If you read the previous posts, I specified releases of older material.

For example here's the new release of Giant Robo in Japan

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ASBY-2613

2 episodes (1 hour each, equiv to 4 episodes of TV) for 4800 yen. The original LDs were 5800 if memory serves for EACH episode. They were at the very least 3800

Here's Nadia, which was 2 eps per LD for the same price, these DVDs are 4

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBA-617

Zeta Gundam, originally sold in boxes of approx 24 episodes were 45000yen each (2 boxes for a total of 90000yen). The DVDs add up to 78000 for the singles, and I think the box sets were cheaper, only running around 65-70000(memory fuzzy there)

In other words, newer shows are on the old system because frankly, they cost a lot more to produce than the old ones due to modern techniques(a LOT more) and the anime industry in Japan is in the shitter, and volume is not likely to make up for any dramatic cost reduction. They simply can't compete with a bootleg set of an entire series priced at what they have to charge for a single volume.

Meanwhile the older material, which WOULD be reissued at the same prices is being released noticeably cheaper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9