• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Fights Piracy Abroad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:27 am Reply with quote
kyuu wrote:
Back then, morals were important.

I remember many places selling fansub tapes, and even some subbers selling their subs, either openly or covertly. Come on, it wasn't a paradise, even "back then."

kyuu wrote:
And the translations too often just aren't accurate.

I have to agree on this, though... it's really annoying.

kyuu wrote:
Fansubs had a huge part in anime coming to the west and I'm ready to thank many of the early fansubbers who took such a legal risk for the good of us all. But all good things really must come to an end.

Eh. West != North America! Maybe you don't need fansubs anymore, but there are still places in the world where anime fans would be pretty much screwed without them because imports are bloody expensive (at least for our wallets), the local anime community is too small to sub for themselves (from Japanese), and/or domestic companies don't release certain titles. Note: I'm not saying US companies should pay regard to non-American anime fans or anything - it's just that it always annoys me when people talk about "the western anime fandom" and mean only North America.

And as for spreading raws on Bittorrent or p2p... One, it's not only the evil westerners who do this, it's often Asians themselves who rip and share stuff. Two, there are many anime I bought/plan to buy that I could've never watched without being able to download the raws. Maybe I should've just bought the DVDs, but I never had 200,000 yen ready for LoGH, and I absolutely refuse to pay 6000 yen +shipping for a disc with only one episode (in case of the Mirage of Blaze OAV). So... yeah. Thank god for raws.

(Edited because I wasn't being too clear.)

Last edited by mufurc on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
NomortaL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
beelzebozo wrote:

I'd be happier if they went after "real" bootleggers and their outlets. These bootleggers are ripping the R1s as well, so no fansub script is needed. These are far more illegal and far more damaging than fansubs because people without tech-savy can get them.

I don't see much difference unless you mean them ripping of the artwork as well, and giving you what is quite a bit of the time, very bad subs. I don't know about you, but I know plenty of people who can hardly turn a computer on that can download fansubs. It's not really difficult to figure out. Since it's impossible to get accurate numbers of downloads of fansubs vs. sales of boots, it's hard for me to prove to you that, at least in the US, fansubs are downloaded far more than boots are purchased. So instead I'll give you an example I can talk about. I have about 10 friends locally that watch Anime. Out of that 10, 1 actually seeks out boots to buy. The others accidentally bought one or two when they were n00bs. All 10 of them however, spend all day, everday downloading fansubs.

Yup, i know quite a bit of people too. With college connection, the majority of them rather dl since it's free because bootleg would cost them money. People become spoiled sometimes.

NomortaL wrote:
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
I agree with most of the posts, however the really sucky thing about having no fansubs is not being able to preview it.

Conventions, NewType, Anime Network, Toonami, TechTV/G4, Test-Drive DVDs, Netflix, no there's no way whatsoever to preview it.
Conventions are too far away from me. NewType is expensive just by itself and you with it you get 1 episode to watch, the reviews don't help me much. Anime network & toonami don't show enough enough shows. Test-Drive DVDs are just the first few episodes. Netflix is a good idea though. Ill give that to you

So you expect to watch the entire show before you actually buy it and that's if you like it?
Hell, do you expect to go to the movies, watch it for free with your girlfriend, and if you like it, you pay for it? "Preview" is just for you to get a glimpse of the show in hopes that you like it enough to buy it. At least that's what the studio hope you do.
Also a lot can go based on review. I buy a lot of my video based on good review and I'm pleased with them.

No, not always. It's true, sometimes ill watch a series think its OK, but i wont buy it. But i buy my share. I have quite a few DVDs.

With a movie its kind of easy to decide if you want to buy it or not. Watch 2hours, its over and complete. You can decide if you really want to spend your money on it. However with renting an anime DVD its like watching half or 45min of a movie, then having to decide if you really want to spend your money on it because the whole series is 600minutes.

Did my analogy make sense?
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:20 am Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
A sticker? Whose bright idea was that? If Japan wants to cut into domestic piracy and HK bootlegs why don't they try lowering prices to somewhere near the realm of reality?

This is how it is. Companies (ADV, Bandai, Lion Gate Films, WB, etc.) all sell their DVDs to the stores for about 1/2 the MSRP (Usually 29.95 for a DVD). So, it is the store's fault. Conventional wisdom among the stores is that you sell it for double the price you bought it at, so you'll make a good profit. (That's how we get the MSRP) The fact that anime is sold to them at about $5 more, turns into an extra $10 we have to pay compared to regular movies.

So, it all become about which company you support. DDD sells the videos at a low price, so they aren't making as much per item sold. Yet they still turn out a big profit because people buy so much from them. They make up for quality with quantity.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:

This is how it is. Companies (ADV, Bandai, Lion Gate Films, WB, etc.) all sell their DVDs to the stores for about 1/2 the MSRP (Usually 29.95 for a DVD). So, it is the store's fault. Conventional wisdom among the stores is that you sell it for double the price you bought it at, so you'll make a good profit. (That's how we get the MSRP) The fact that anime is sold to them at about $5 more, turns into an extra $10 we have to pay compared to regular movies.

I wonder if any of you have heard of Best Buy? Or in some cases Fry's Electronics? Eva Plat Vol 1 w/ box is selling at BB at half MSRP. If you go to a mom and pop store, you will pay for it, because they don't sell enough to have low prices. (or you can go to Suncoast to get screwed too)
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
o you expect to watch the entire show before you actually buy it and that's if you like it?
Hell, do you expect to go to the movies, watch it for free with your girlfriend, and if you like it, you pay for it? "Preview" is just for you to get a glimpse of the show in hopes that you like it enough to buy it. At least that's what the studio hope you do.
Also a lot can go based on review. I buy a lot of my video based on good review and I'm pleased with them.

Unfortunately, I've found reviews to be highly unreliable, so I'm sure that doesn't work for everyone. A lot of shows that get five star reviews, like Evangelion and Lain, I absolutely hated, while other shows that got mediocre or bad reviews, like Twelve Kingdoms or Saint Tail, I loved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kyuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
kyuu wrote:
Back then, morals were important.

I remember many places selling fansub tapes, and even some subbers selling their subs, either openly or covertly. Come on, it wasn't a paradise, even "back then."

Granted. No paradise, but generally a bit better I think. I do remember this problem, but I don't think it was far from the massive problem it is nowadays.

mufurc wrote:
kyuu wrote:
Fansubs had a huge part in anime coming to the west and I'm ready to thank many of the early fansubbers who took such a legal risk for the good of us all. But all good things really must come to an end.

Eh. West != North America! Maybe you don't need fansubs anymore, but there are still places in the world where anime fans would be pretty much screwed without them because imports are bloody expensive (at least for our wallets), the local anime community is too small to sub for themselves (from Japanese), and/or domestic companies don't release certain titles. Note: I'm not saying US companies should pay regard to non-American anime fans or anything - it's just that it always annoys me when people talk about "the western anime fandom" and mean only North America.

There are no dedicated anime companies in Finland either (northern Europe, where I live). A few DVD stores that import some titles, mostly only on request. Except for some ancient hentai vhs's on sale and some two-three anime movies, you won't find any anime in a supermarket or at a major DVD seller. Except for around five mangas ever published locally, you won't find any of those in major bookstores either. Again, we have about half a dozen shops in the entire country who sell import manga. Generally, manga is doing better - the price difference between ordering from outside and buying here is minimal. That's because books have a smaller VAT here than for example DVD's, and most of the times when an individual orders a DVD, (s)he doesn't pay VAT as the order value is small enough.

So, the net and credit cards work. If you don't have a credit card, there's someone in the community who has one. We can keep up a small list of DVD and manga sellers around the world, what kind of experiences we've had with them, what are the shipping times and so on. Clearly many US/Canada based companies have interest in these small northern corners of Europe, as we've even had them as small sponsors to an event here.

Thanks to the postal office and various courier companies, ordering is easy. Some companies (mostly Canadian ones, from my experience) actually give a damn about European customers so getting anime isn't that hard.

Putting this information down in local language here has helped, and it's not really a huge amount of work required. I would suggest that similar resources in other countries would also be quite helpful.

Twage wrote:
If Japan wants to cut into domestic piracy and HK bootlegs why don't they try lowering prices to somewhere near the realm of reality?

Actually, I think there's been improvement in this - obviously Viz being the exception. Roughly estimated currency conversions follow. Some years back, I remember ending up paying about $200 for each of the two Fushigi Yugi DVD boxes, including all the costs of shipping etc. Later on, series boxes like Slayers, Miyu or NGE have come down to around $100-$120 alltogether. And some series like Sorcerer Hunters come down to only around $50. I'd say there has been radical improvement in the pricing for most companies. Partly this is thanks to lower shipping rates and other helpful changes by dvd sellers, but much of it is also thanks to the publishers/distributors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Some places will sell anime cheap, like Best Buy, because they don't worry too much about it. They get plenty of revenue from everything else, and if they make a niche audience happy, then they'll see profits go up some more because of increased purchasing.
pyr3sayz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
I think most leecher are so spoiled by fansubbing that they're blind to logical reason other than thier own selfish nature. I'm pretty sure all fansubbed are illegal, even the ethnical fansubber themself said so. Just that many people try to find a reason to justified thier behavior.

Fansub isn't the only way to preview a show. You can try renting the anime first, perhaps through netflix if it's available. Also on many dvd, there's usually preview for the show. You can subscribe to magazine or get your info online, or heck even read the Shelf Life section as it's usually very well written with good taste.

Naruto gets about 10000 downloads on BT on it's very first day. One of the ops for the infamous group also brag about how they can are able to distrubute 30,000 files for that released for the first week. This is the only reference I got since they know the real number.

Also, I say Ebay has a big bootleg problem because there's no one really moderating it.

I agree with you on the renting part. But what they *really* need to do is air them on TV. That way people can see them for free and decide to buy them or not. That is what will really increase the popularity. This is the option that the Japanese get. I know there are OVAs and such, but the majority of anime is on TV, especially the larger ones. There aren't too many 26- or 52-episode OVAs for a reason.

As for the renting, being able to rent anime is relatively new (at least so far as I know). There used to be very few places that would rent anime back on VHS (local anime shops that would rent stuff, and not many places have 'local anime shops'. Usually only larger cities and such.). Now we have netflix and other online sites, but some people aren't really into the whole subscription over the internet thing. Most people want a brick-and-mortar rental place. My local Blockbuster didn't have much in the way of anime last time I was there and it was off on its own. On the other hand, when I was in California (in the OC), the blockbuster there had the anime all mixed in with the regular hollywood releases. They were on the 'new releases' wall nonetheless. This is what a real step in the right direction would be. Not only that but it would go a long way towards slowly lulling people into accepting anime as more than 'that cartoon thing that only weirdos watch', albeit on a somewhat subconscious level.

I'm just making a quick post of a few thoughts that I had. I'm in no way justifying fansubbing if that's what it sounds like. I just think that people need to realize that being able to see some anime on TV, and having a place that rents more than a handful of anime titles on DVD is a relatively new thing. Some people are still tied to the 'old ways' and don't really want to change. They will probably continue to justify fansubbing until it dies out as the rest of the world moves on to better things.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:58 pm Reply with quote
pyr3sayz wrote:

I'm just making a quick post of a few thoughts that I had. I'm in no way justifying fansubbing if that's what it sounds like. I just think that people need to realize that being able to see some anime on TV, and having a place that rents more than a handful of anime titles on DVD is a relatively new thing. Some people are still tied to the 'old ways' and don't really want to change. They will probably continue to justify fansubbing until it dies out as the rest of the world moves on to better things.

That all sounds well and good, but you do realize that most fansubbers these days were not around during the old days don't you? They're mostly college kids,(who got into anime relatively recently) which is why quite a few have a problem translating correctly.
TsukasaGr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I think some of us are missing the true problem here, which is quite easy for others to grasp: The Japanese are, of course, absolutely correct, and I wish them well. But. Without fansubs, the European manga/anime community will actually die.

There is absolutely _no_ support -or even respect- for anime viewers here. I have seen DVDs in Europe that cost more than the whole series in America, and this is not a joke. I think there are many people who can testify to this. Also, Viz no longer ships to Europe, as they are obviously not interested in the small market here. That is great for them, but I would like my anime and manga, thank you. And if the companies are not supporting my hobby, believe me, I will try to find someone who will. So, a big "thank you" to all the fansubbers. I know a lot of people in Europe who want to thank you too. Without you, we would only know about the -already mentioned before- bootleged hentai dvds and the 4-5 overpriced anime DVDs. I don't think I (or anyone) could manage to pay 350-400 euros for a 26 episode series. Without you, there would be no anime community here. And you want to know something, without you there wouldn't be an anime community in the States either. Smile Please show some respect to the people that feed you, people. Smile

I totally agree that fansubs have become almost obsolete now. Hell, even Kodocha is licenced nowdays! Smile But. Even if there wasn't the Europe problem (and, generally I believe, the "non-America" problem, as I don't really think the situation is better elsewhere), there exist other problems. Companies: Please do NOT destroy (and believe me, I would really like to use some heavier word here, but alas...) the series' you licence. Why on Earth would I like to submit myself to an -overpriced here- DVD release with subpar audio (there are _many_ series with absolutely horrible japanese audio, I don't know why that happens, but the English just sound better. Maybe they are saving space on the DVD or something...), or with terribe treatment of the translation (I happen to speak a little Japanese myself, and I can understand when a translation is _not_ a translation, but a free, and usually bad adaptation), and worst of all, deleted scenes and censorship, of witch I am not even told about (I won't even _start_ with Kare Kano. That got me so mad that I almost destroyed the American DVDs). I think that's the worst. And we won't even mention those horrible yellow, oversised subtitles...

And even if all those were not true, I think it is still pretty much illegal -and costly- to buy DVDs from America, region codes and all.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit dissapointed, and of course there are exeptions to those examples, but I have rarely bought an original Anime DVD I actually enjoyed as much as the fansub. Usually it is simply not as good a job as the fansub. And believe me, I _like_ to pay for the stuf I enjoy, and I have bought a lot of anime over the years. (I can't wait to buy Princess Tutu! Smile I really hope they make a good job on that one.). But, pretty please people, a little respect for our hard earned money and for the many wonderful anime series you licence.

I'm really sorry for the long post, any mistakes I made writing it, and if I offended some of you by my views. It was really not intended. But before these problems are resolved, really people, think twice before condemning so easily what you yesterday deified. Fansubs are not obsolete yet. America is not the whole of the world. As for the Japanese...if the European market _really_ does not interest you, what can I say. If you won's support us, at least leave us alone. Sad

PS: PGSM rules! Please licence it! Smile Congradulations to all the people working on it!
jay saenz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I ve been reading the first replys to this post and I think that American people often forget that theres an anime fandom beyond the south border that depend on the fansub to get new anime.

I talked some months ago to Ryosuke Takahashi and Eiji Sachida from Sunrise Studios, during a trip that they made to Costa Rica, and we talked about the piracy problem.

Here in Latin American a large part of the anime fandom depend on piracy (even in the major anime shops in the country you can find pirat products). For fans in my country spend $30 per DVD (with only 3 episodes) is usually a rip off. Our mail service is a mess and very few people take the risk of buy online, thats why fansubs are the best way to costarican people to get high quality new anime.

I hope that the Anime Industry one day will include Latin America as an important market. Until that day piracy will rule south of the border.
pyr3sayz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
pyr3sayz wrote:

That all sounds well and good, but you do realize that most fansubbers these days were not around during the old days don't you? They're mostly college kids,(who got into anime relatively recently) which is why quite a few have a problem translating correctly.

I think that most of the 'new recruits' so to speak are just holding onto the old fansub dogma. Part of the reason is that college students are poor for the most part and won't be able to afford anime DVDs like they would want to until they are out of college and have a job. But, by then they are out of the 'demographic.' This is the same problem that the RIAA is/was having. They are trying to sell their product targeted towards kids and college students, both of which have little or no income to blow on all kinds of music. The solution that the RIAA seem to be going for is to make the colleges have some sort of deal with an online music-downloading service that becomes part of the students' tuition or computing package. This could work for anime as well. Maybe not downloading, I don't think that video downloading will be accepted as a legit service in the near future. But some of the online rental places like netflix or such could offer some sort of discount to the colleges and make a subscription part of the tuition or an optional part of the tuition. I don't think they should force it on people like the RIAA wants to do. Though hiding it in the tuition could be a good thing too. If they *have* to pay for it, they will probably use it, but if they have the option, some might just not take the option and download anyways.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
pyr3sayz wrote:
Part of the reason is that college students are poor for the most part and won't be able to afford anime DVDs like they would want to until they are out of college and have a job.

That's not a very good excuse. Until recently, I was also a college student, and yet I managed to buy Anime when I wanted to. If you prioritize, then you'll have money for what you want. Of course, it's hard to buy Anime if you have 10 credit cards, a new car, and are thousands of dollars in debt Wink. There are plenty of other people on this site that I know who are in college or were recently, and yet they all could manage buy buy DVDs, maybe not 5 a week, but they could certainly keep up with new series.

By the way pyr3sayz, just to make sure you're aware, my comments aren't directed at you. I realize you were making a broad, general statement. Very Happy
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Not true. Standard pricing is 35% off MSRP, a formula EVERYONE follows unless there is some special purchasing deal worked out.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess it just depends on the company... SoW. Geneon really is known for sticking it to retailers because they appear to offer the least amount off their MSRP (which I believe is about 25% off) You'll notice that at Best Buy, for instance, that the discount isn't off as much for a DVD of Last Exile as it is for a DVD of RahXephon. It's just a matter of company politics, and seeing how much money they can squeeze out of their products.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9