• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Soulja Boy Walks Red Carpet at New Fullmetal Alchemist Film's L.A. Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Screw Soulja Boy. I'm exited to hear Alana Lee was there! She's quickly becoming one of my favorite new singers, and she's only released a couple songs! The other people I recognized are Jamie Marchi, Mike McFarland, Vic Mignogna, Justin Rojas, and Todd Haberkorn. I'm surprised more people didn't dress up. It looked almost... casual!

Sorry but I have a very urban upbringing so I had to look up Alana Lee.
Yeah...ARK Music Factory let's see how that lasts.

Actually, unlike Rebecca Black, Alana Lee is very talented. Here's a recent song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J65cjPn8MlA The video is a followup to her previous song, "Butterflies". She's actually better here! Here's her website: http://www.alanaleemusic.net
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
Hey, I like anime. If I upload some terrible music to youtube, can I get an invite to the next premiere as well?
DJcream

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
While he may have possibly been the worst mainstream rapper of the previous decade (Vanilla Ice had the '90s), at least the kid has good taste in media.
Sadly, I beg to differ. At least I give Soulja Boy some respect that all his songs at least differentiate from each other in theme and some are fun(ny) to drop in house parties.

Wakka Flockka Flame on the other hand has some of the worst "rhymes," horrible sense of rhythm matching his beats (as if he isn't wearing headphones in the studio) and all his songs are devoted to the drug game or gun talk. Dude is just horrible at it. And then there's Lil' B and all his annoying swag tracks.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
SpeedyAlchemist wrote:
Vic Mignogna is a lovable goof ball.

.....who likes to preach god despite doing some things that would make him a heathen, almost killed his career as a VA by pissing off the higher ups at FUNimation, and has let himself be engrossed by Fullmetal Alchemist to the point he thinks HE IS Edward Elric.

Yeah, loveable goofball my chinko.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wonder how many people here know his songs

One must cast doubt over the suggestion that he can sing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Wonder how many people here know his songs

One must cast doubt over the suggestion that he can sing.

'Songs' are the general term to describe what he makes and does not imply he himself sings.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
A bit off topic but...

Sunday Silence wrote:
.....who likes to preach god despite doing some things that would make him a heathen, almost killed his career as a VA by pissing off the higher ups at FUNimation, and has let himself be engrossed by Fullmetal Alchemist to the point he thinks HE IS Edward Elric.

Any chance for some elaboration on the bolded part? I've heard some thoughts on people for the other stuff but that's the first I've heard on that one.

As for the topic itself, lumping Soulja Boy in with Vanilla Ice is an insult to Vanilla Ice. At least 'Ice Ice Baby' and 'Ninja Rap' had a good beat...until he killed Ninja Rap in a non-TMNT-related re-do years later anyway. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I am utterly convinced that Soulja Boy is a massive troll for the music industry.

His full stage name (SouljaBoyTellEm), the name of his first couple albums, talking about anime, reviewing games, going to Japan and buying import copies of games like Valkyria Chronicles and Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan, everything. At the very least he is a genuine Otaku, but I think he's just playing a massive joke on the rap industry.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
More power to him. His music is balls imo but anime fans getting upset that someone likes anime is always a head scratcher. Would it be better if more people hated anime?
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Come on, guys. On the premiere, he's NOT a rapper. He's a fan of anime, just like everyone else, enjoying the premiere. Neutral
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
SpeedyAlchemist wrote:
Vic Mignogna is a lovable goof ball.

Yeah, loveable goofball my chinko.

I've met him at a convention recently and he is really a nice guy to be honest. Was very easy to talk to and acted pretty calmly at least from what I saw. I really don't think he is anywhere as off the wall as some people think he is, but I am basing my opinion on meeting him live and in person, as well as the fact I've been watching his work for probably my entire time as a anime fan.

I watched Kekkaishi, simply because Vic Mignogna was in the show. In my opinion, he basically made the show worth watching and awesome.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The other people I recognized are Jamie Marchi, Mike McFarland, Vic Mignogna, Justin Rojas, and Todd Haberkorn. I'm surprised more people didn't dress up. It looked almost... casual!

Not every redhead is Jamie Marchi Laughing

I'm pretty sure that woman is Michele Specht (Vic's fiancee).

Btw is that Edward Elric cosplayer someone I should know of?

Or did they just have some passionate fan (or cosplayer for hire) show up?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
A bit off topic but...

Sunday Silence wrote:

Any chance for some elaboration on the bolded part? I've heard some thoughts on people for the other stuff but that's the first I've heard on that one.

He created a fanfilm called Fullmetal Fantasy, using enough IP of Fullemetal Alchemist to cause the higher ups at FUNimation to notice. He claims that Hiromu Arakawa approved of it.

http://wikibin.org/articles/fullmetal-fantasy-4.html
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The other people I recognized are Jamie Marchi, Mike McFarland, Vic Mignogna, Justin Rojas, and Todd Haberkorn. I'm surprised more people didn't dress up. It looked almost... casual!

Not every redhead is Jamie Marchi Laughing

I'm pretty sure that woman is Michele Specht (Vic's fiancee).

Looks like her.

The other redhead, the one with Todd, has been a part of a few of his small film projects. I forget her name though.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
A bit off topic but...

Sunday Silence wrote:

He created a fanfilm called Fullmetal Fantasy, using enough IP of Fullemetal Alchemist to cause the higher ups at FUNimation to notice. He claims that Hiromu Arakawa approved of it.

http://wikibin.org/articles/fullmetal-fantasy-4.html

Ohhh, that. I've heard of Fullmetal Fantasy (really wish I could have seen it somehow), and the whole legal issues with it. I wasn't aware it created such problems that FUNi almost stopped hiring him for stuff though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4