• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: I Think Therefore I Rant

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Bible stuff...

Fascinating, but it has nothing to do with denying other people civil rights.

You've still yet to explain why homosexuality has anything to do with incest, etc. You've also yet to explain why the genetic value of homosexuality has any bearing on a discussion of civil rights. Please answer the questions asked.

Last edited by merr on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
nonsense

Hold up now... according to 'logic', homosexuality "is wrong" because it prevents children from being born, while heterosexuality "is right even if it doesn't lead to children being born?

'Logic' also says that being a cloistered devotee to your faith has no genetic advantage to the continuation of the species. Does this mean that all religions that require (or even encourage) their most devout students - monks, nuns, priest and so on - be disbanded? I mean that's only logical, right?

Screwing a dog and screwing a child is not tantamount to sodomy on any level. Screwing a sibling might be, but it's largely irrelevant.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
more neo fascist "Christian" eugenics horseshit

Could someone please ban this guy before he proposes that all homosexuals identify themselves by wearing pink triangles on their clothes?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
... You've still yet to explain why homosexuality has anything to do with incest, etc.

Pretty simple: incest is icky, homosexuality is icky, hence by the transitive property of icky, QED.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
Bible stuff...

Kakugo wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:
nonsense

tuxedocat wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:

COMBO!!! Twisted Evil
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it would be best if a few people backed away from the discussion with Wakazhi. I don't approve of what he has expressed, but I rarely like to see destructive hostility or a a dogpile on anybody, which is what I see coming. Even as little as I might find to agree with in the criticisms of homosexuality that have been presented, seeing the argument play out has been surprisingly stable and interesting, but things are becoming contemptuous and angry.

tuxedocat wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:

Could someone please ban this guy before he proposes that all homosexuals identify themselves by wearing pink triangles on their clothes?

I don't think that we need to resort to that. He has expressed some opinions that I consider distasteful, but he hasn't been seriously disruptive and I don't feel that he's expressed anything quite so abhorrent that its mere expression is intolerable. Putting him under moderation just to restrain potential future derailment or disruption might, however, be sensible.

I would also like him to remain long enough to explain the assumption underlying so much of his posts of what nature is and why it should be embraced as a source of authority. He invokes it a lot, but it seems like an arbitrary thing to be obeyed, a sort of sneaky way of saying, "because God said so."

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so someone said that Christians believe it's okay to have oral sex.
All I did was use direct source material from what Christianity is based on to prove them wrong.
I did not post that scripture to argue about rights, I posted it to prove that the Christian belief doesn't agree with oral sex being okay.

If you're not Christian, then that post had nothing to do with you, so just calm down people. wow.

And once again, more irony: it's okay to hate on religion, but it's evil and ignorant to hate on sexual orientation. To all those who didn't understand what my last post was for and flamed over it without thinking, thank you for reminding me which site I'm on.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Okay, so someone said that Christians believe it's okay to have oral sex.
All I did was use direct source material from what Christianity is based on to prove them wrong.
I did not post that scripture to argue about rights, I posted it to prove that the Christian belief doesn't agree with oral sex being okay.

If you're not Christian, then that post had nothing to do with you, so just calm down people. wow.

Ladies and gentleman, this has been today's performance of the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.

Now, can we please get back to the discussion at hand? Namely, as Surrender Artist put it, what nature is and why it should be embraced as a source of authority in this particular instance.

Last edited by merr on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperSaiyen312

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:

OK everyone has different tastes alright?
You can't force the guy to be gay because I don't see that happening.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
SuperSaiyen312 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Wakazhi wrote:

OK everyone has different tastes alright?
You can't force the guy to be gay because I don't see that happening.

Civil rights is not a matter of taste.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
He has expressed some opinions that I consider distasteful, but he hasn't been seriously disruptive and I don't feel that he's expressed anything quite so abhorrent that its mere expression is intolerable. Putting him under moderation just to restrain potential future derailment or disruption might, however, be sensible.

I would also like him to remain long enough to explain the assumption underlying so much of his posts of what nature is and why it should be embraced as a source of authority.

He equated homosexuality with zoophilia and pedophilia. I'm sure I am not the only person here who was deeply offended. Though I guess I can see your point in wanting to see him justify his neo-fascist jargon about "nature". I suppose it could be classified as entertainment. Like watching a train wreck in progress.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is this topic thread beginning to become EXTREMELY derailed? Seriously folks, who cares about Christians and whether homosexuality is like incest or not. Isn't this an anime forum for crying out loud? Why are we talking about stuff that's not even remotely related to anime?
SuperSaiyen312

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Is it just me, or is this topic thread beginning to become EXTREMELY derailed? Seriously folks, who cares about Christians and whether homosexuality is like incest or not. We're anime fans for crying out loud. Why are we talking about stuff that's not even remotely related to anime?

Because the podcast brought up the issues of gay, lesbian, homosexual, and transgenders. Then people started an all out war on weather these issues are good or bad.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Is it just me, or is this topic thread beginning to become EXTREMELY derailed? Seriously folks, who cares about Christians and whether homosexuality is like incest or not. Isn't this an anime forum for crying out loud? Why are we talking about stuff that's not even remotely related to anime?

I think it's because a lot of us like to argue and not be wrong. I myself am having a lot of fun being on the side that people hate, lol. It's much more fun (to me) to argue on the side that's more easily attacked, because it makes me feel like the underdog or something, you know? lol
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
SuperSaiyen312 wrote:
Because the podcast brought up the issues of gay, lesbian, homosexual, and transgenders. Then people started an all out war on weather these issues are good or bad.

Seriously? I personally think that it isn't our place to discuss things like that. All this controversity should be left for other forums that deal with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 18