• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Testing the sub vs dub debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
randomfanwoman wrote:

The two things that make a good dub for me:
1. translation. how close in meaning is of the English to the Japanese dub. I am not looking for creativity in a dub.
2. how close are the english voices to the japanese voices. Granted, some voices are hard to match, Akabane's seyuu comes to mind immediately, but it comes down to if the characters sound like the characters. The Japanese people cast the way they did for a reason. (16 year old characters should not sound 40)

Those standards kinda annoy me amongst the fandom. I mean, the first one makes sense, (within reason) but not the second one. What does the sound of the voices have to do with the quality of the acting? Nothing, and if they don't coincide, you go with who can act the part better, not whose voice is closest. Feh. ADD to that these three key points of interest.

1. Most times the Japanese creators approve the American voice actors, sometimes even picking their faves out of auditions. Now, they can't judge the acting quality, perhaps, but they can judge voice timbre, anyway. I know for Fullmetal Alchemist that Armstrong, Mustang, and Edward Elric's voices were handpicked by the Japanese creators, and Edward's english voice sounds nothing like the Japanese. In fact, I have several Japanese friends, all of whom say Ed sounded better in English because it was an actual man and Romi was good, but kinda melodramatic. Yeah. That's right. The JAPANESE FANGIRLS said Ed was better in English. That's a riot.

2. Japanese voices and styles of acting are often far removed from American ones. It's hard to get them to coincide, and why would you want to? You want English-speakers to sound like they're speaking English. (It kind of annoys me when sub lovers say FLCL had the best dub ever. It did not. It had the most uncannily faithful dub for sure. I thought I was listening to Japanese seiyuu speaking English, and the only reason it got away with it to my ears is that FLCL is absolutely crazy-screwy to begin with. Still didn't sound natural.)

3. You do know that the Japanese typecast more than us, right? As in, a lot more than us? They have a lot of exaggerated voice-types that they use specifically for certain roles. (You've heard the bearded badguy voice? The rebel? The shy schoolgirl? The magnificent villain? Yeah, they sound similar in English too, but not nearly as identical in execution as the Japanese. I don't know much about these things, but I think it has something to do with archetypes in anime, Japanese theatre, etc. It's a particular style of exaggerated acting to let you know what kind of character this is. We typecast, but we don't really do that. If we did, I don't think people would go for it, and frankly, I'd get bored with it. I don't like hearing the same kind of delivery for the same type of character. I like to be surprised.

Getbackers (and GTO) were on my what-to-watch list, so I'm kinda sad that you said the dub is bad. I'll have to check it out.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
(It kind of annoys me when sub lovers say FLCL had the best dub ever. It did not. It had the most uncannily faithful dub for sure. I thought I was listening to Japanese seiyuu speaking English, and the only reason it got away with it to my ears is that FLCL is absolutely crazy-screwy to begin with. Still didn't sound natural.)

Funny you should call the FLCL dub "uncannily faithful," considering how many Japanese references and puns they adapted into corresponding American ones. Razz (Crystal Pepsi, anyone?) I've never heard so much as a second of the show in Japanese, yet I'd still rank it as one of the best dubs ever created, simply because just about everyone involved with it turned in a career-defining performance. Kari Wahlgren, in particular, laid down the best work I've ever heard out of her.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
(It kind of annoys me when sub lovers say FLCL had the best dub ever. It did not. It had the most uncannily faithful dub for sure. I thought I was listening to Japanese seiyuu speaking English, and the only reason it got away with it to my ears is that FLCL is absolutely crazy-screwy to begin with. Still didn't sound natural.)

Funny you should call the FLCL dub "uncannily faithful," considering how many Japanese references and puns they adapted into corresponding American ones. Razz (Crystal Pepsi, anyone?) I've never heard so much as a second of the show in Japanese, yet I'd still rank it as one of the best dubs ever created, simply because just about everyone involved with it turned in a career-defining performance. Kari Wahlgren, in particular, laid down the best work I've ever heard out of her.

Didn't say it wasn't quite good, mind you. It is, it's just...not the best I've ever heard or anything. Yet I know at least two people (and several more sub purists that I can only guess would agree) that think it's awesome and the only dub worth listening to...precisely because the voices sound exactly like their Japanese counterparts. Which is silly. That's no good reason. The writing I'm not sure of, as I can't remember the show enough to remember the cultural turns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2