• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Zettai Karen Children Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
F*** yes!!! Definite purchase from me. The name change is lame though.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
I'd be less worried about the name change and more worried about whether Sentai is actually going to release the DVD version (which is rather... "enhanced") on DVD, instead of the broadcast version. We don't need another Papillon Rose.

Years-later EDIT: Sentai's release is the DVD version, and all the in-show mentions of the term use "Absolutely Lovely Children," with the Next Ep previews using the untranslated title. Though they did use "Psychic Girls' Squad" in ep 7 for some bizarre reason, that was a one-off issue.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
This is great news!I just wish the series was going to get an english dub!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
I helped fansub this. I AM BUYING THIS ON DAY FREAKING ONE*! I love love love love LOVE this show.

*: Provided it's the enhanced DVD version and not the broadcast version, of course.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
I don't get the name change. I mean, the characters say the name during the actual show, many times, don't they? How are they going to subtitle that, then?

Translating the name into English would've been a bad idea, I agree, but they released Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka, Koihime Musou, Nyan Koi! and Uta~Kata (with Un-Go on the way) without translations or name changes, so I don't see why they thought ZKC wouldn't work.

The American companies often have very little, if any say, in what the title is called. All naming decisions are ultimately at the discretion of the original license holder. It wouldn't surprise me if this was one of the better options for a title, considering what I've heard has been floated for other series.

Where has it been said that the original license holder's are responsible for all name changing? I am not saying it never happens or isn't the case for ZKC but it just seems too extreme to be true.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
I don't get the name change. I mean, the characters say the name during the actual show, many times, don't they? How are they going to subtitle that, then?

Translating the name into English would've been a bad idea, I agree, but they released Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka, Koihime Musou, Nyan Koi! and Uta~Kata (with Un-Go on the way) without translations or name changes, so I don't see why they thought ZKC wouldn't work.

The American companies often have very little, if any say, in what the title is called. All naming decisions are ultimately at the discretion of the original license holder. It wouldn't surprise me if this was one of the better options for a title, considering what I've heard has been floated for other series.

Where has it been said that the original license holder's are responsible for all name changing? I am not saying it never happens or isn't the case for ZKC but it just seems too extreme to be true.

Its been stated by industry reps from many companies including ADV/Sentai. Anime Network also stated the same on their YouTube page when asked about the title of Demon Kind Daimao. It may not always be the case, but the Japanese companies own the property. They ultimately have to approve of whatever is done with it. Why would it be so extreme to think they have the final say in the name when they OWN the property?

It's true that contracts vary from company to company and title to title, but if Sentai chose to the change the name they ultimately wouldn't be able to if the Japanese said no. They also wouldn't be able to refuse a name change if the Japanese wanted it.

There is certainly a possibility that Sentai came up with the new name, but the Japanese would have ultimately approved it. And to me, it just sounds like a title some Japanese executive came up with, much like a title that basically equaled Demon King Demon King.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd be less worried about the name change and more worried about whether Sentai is actually going to release the DVD version (which is rather... "enhanced") on DVD, instead of the broadcast version. We don't need another Papillon Rose.
Oh, thanks for the heads up. I think I'll wait for some post-release buzz before I get it. Even if it's got gross fanservice, I wouldn't purchase an edited version. =/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
Even if it's got gross fanservice, I wouldn't purchase an edited version. =/

It doesn't. Most fanservice is from the older characters. There are a few bath scenes with nothing shown, a few panty shots scattered around, and a couple of boobs and lolicon jokes.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
Approving said changes is not the same as making said changes themselves. Contractually if a distributor wants to change the name of a show it has to go through the license holder but as long as those changes are made with the best interest of the property in mind the license holder will okay it. I mean EVERY dumb, over-americanized property 4Kids localized was, at the end of the day, approved by the Japanese license holders but people don't place the blame for those changes on license holders for believing 4Kids needed to make those changes in order to make an appealing product for their market.

Quote:
And to me, it just sounds like a title some Japanese executive came up with, much like a title that basically equaled Demon King Demon King.

So you can tell the difference between the thought processes of a Japanese executive vs an American executive.

IMO, since the name is an often repeated motto for the characters I think the name change is stupid, no matter who thunk it up.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Approving said changes is not the same as making said changes themselves. Contractually if a distributor wants to change the name of a show it has to go through the license holder but as long as those changes are made with the best interest of the property in mind the license holder will okay it. I mean EVERY dumb, over-americanized property 4Kids localized was, at the end of the day, approved by the Japanese license holders but people don't place the blame for those changes on license holders for believing 4Kids needed to make those changes in order to make an appealing product for their market.

Quote:
And to me, it just sounds like a title some Japanese executive came up with, much like a title that basically equaled Demon King Demon King.

So you can tell the difference between the thought processes of a Japanese executive vs an American executive.

IMO, since the name is an often repeated motto for the characters I think the name change is stupid, no matter who thunk it up.

That is true. I just think its unfair to automatically blame the American distributor for any stupid or Amercanized name changes. Even if the Japanese didn't directly come up with name, they ultimately approve it and have to share some of the blame.

For what it's worth, I don't approve of name changes either. I don't even really like them in instances where I can understand the reasoning, like this or Kannazuki no Miko. In KnM's case the title bombed the first time around so I could see why they may want to market it under another title. Just because I can understand the reasoning doesn't mean I have to like it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
Do me a favor. I am sleepy and my eyes are tired, so I might have missed it. Before your first post can you point out the post that is blaming the American distributor for the name change? All I can see is some people saying it's not a good name without laying the blame solely on any particular side of the ocean.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
I'm on a phone so quoting the exact threads isn't much of an option at the moment. However, there were several threads with the use of "they" where it seemed to be implied as Sentai. Of course a lot of people generically use "they" with little thought to who they are actually talking about. I may have been a bit over sensitive to it as often when name changes occur, people will often immediately jump on the American distributor and blame them while the Japanese company gets a free ride and often made the changes themselves.

A lot of fans can be quick to attack companies like Sentai and Funimation when they announce name changes. I was just pointing out that we don't know who actually came up with the name, but we do know who had final say on it. I wasn't trying to call anyone out or start an argument.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
Psychic, I mean, Sidekick Wave!!!!!

Oh wait, wrong show. Laughing
Mirri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
Agreed, Zettai Shounen was an endearing little title.

Mirri wrote:
How about "Totally Psychics!"? lol.
Hahaha, you know what, I know you were just joking, but I actually really like that.

It's kind of like Media Blaster's Ah My Buddha, except witty.

I'm just about entirely sure that my reference was not lost on you, but I'll still put this here anyway because I'm not 100% - it's a joke re: Totally Spies!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totally_Spies!

...The more I say to myself, "Totally Psychics!", the more I like it...

You have poisoned my judgment, Taiyz!
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Taiyz wrote:

Its been stated by industry reps from many companies including ADV/Sentai. Anime Network also stated the same on their YouTube page when asked about the title of Demon Kind Daimao. It may not always be the case, but the Japanese companies own the property. They ultimately have to approve of whatever is done with it. Why would it be so extreme to think they have the final say in the name when they OWN the property?

It's true that contracts vary from company to company and title to title, but if Sentai chose to the change the name they ultimately wouldn't be able to if the Japanese said no. They also wouldn't be able to refuse a name change if the Japanese wanted it.

There is certainly a possibility that Sentai came up with the new name, but the Japanese would have ultimately approved it. And to me, it just sounds like a title some Japanese executive came up with, much like a title that basically equaled Demon King Demon King.

That is true, and that also was similar to what happened with another title of Sentai's, Glass Maiden. In Japan, it was called "Crystal Blaze", but with the production being targeted at an international audience, it was rechristened with the still-appropriate, still-good, but not-as-dynamic-a-title of "Glass Maiden". Sometimes, changes are done for international promotional purposes (often with more self-explanatory/straightforward titles) and other times they done to avoid any licensing snafus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4