• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GDH Asks 50 Employees to Voluntarily Retire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:

It is very much the professional way of doing things in Japanese culture, just because you don't understand it, don't assume it is wrong.

Oh, I realize that. And I'm not assuming it is wrong, I am critisizing it because I think it's tacky. Just because some culture has a specific way of doing things doesn't mean you can deconstruct it. And I say this as someone who has both worked in the real world and lived in Asia.

houkoholic wrote:

I'm assuming you are actually talking about the few months of salary one gets from the company when you resign/laid-off as you can't just walk into the government employment office and recieve unemployment benefits straight after you are without work in the first place. Being laid off and resigning doesn't matter a bit as what matters is that you cannot find work after a certain period of time.

Why doesn't it matter? Could you elaborate?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
rg4619 wrote:
"Voluntarily retire" has been used in English press releases before (Sega Sammy), so I'll assume that it's the intended wording.

A few years ago, Atlus also offered a similarly worded option to employees.

'Retire' has severe connotations with it surrounding American HR law, that's the reason I ask.

Voluntarily retire != taking a severance != voluntarily resigning, so I'm assuming it's just a poor/overly literal translation by someone not familiar with HR laws in English-speaking countries.

-Tofu
Here in the UK, and EU, it's known as voluntary redundancy where, depending on company, and time served, one can get a decent golden send off, and usually one can return as a freelancer when business picks up again.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Der Brenten wrote:
IIRC Ford & GM & some of the major US airlines did this early retirement to some of their employees in the past. Yeah it really sucks but would you rather have GONZO go under and not produce anything or cut 25% of it's staff and produce less? Currently I'm still hoping for an R2V DVD release in North America but I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly, them and many more, so can we at least stop the "what a horrible Japanese concept" nonsense?

Selling off the financing division while they can still get money for it makes sense in the current market. What bothered me most from this, was that it seemed to indicate the animation side was a primary force in driving down financial results lately. I certainly hope that is not the case.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Der Brenten wrote:
IIRC Ford & GM & some of the major US airlines did this early retirement to some of their employees in the past. Yeah it really sucks but would you rather have GONZO go under and not produce anything or cut 25% of it's staff and produce less? Currently I'm still hoping for an R2V DVD release in North America but I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly, them and many more, so can we at least stop the "what a horrible Japanese concept" nonsense?

Selling off the financing division while they can still get money for it makes sense in the current market. What bothered me most from this, was that it seemed to indicate the animation side was a primary force in driving down financial results lately. I certainly hope that is not the case.

Well, unlike some of the other losses we've been hearing about in earnings reports from other anime companies, Gonzo has been having severe problems since BEFORE the financial crisis.
To be blunt, it's probably no more than a 50/50 chance they survive at all this next year. They'd have a tough time in a normal market, but with this... Well, perhaps their new owners can work some restructuring magic.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Man, I sure do hope GONZO dies. They've done nothing worthwhile since Gankutsuou, and Last Exile before than, and Blue Sub before that. 3 shows in over 8 years is a pretty bad record.

yes let's wish the downfall of another company in the anime related field. Because that's obviously helpful to the longevity of the anime fandom. Not to mention you are wishing them to go under and put all their employees on the street with no job. How nice of you. You gonna help support them and buy groceries while they're jobless? You sir are full of fail and ignorance. Regardless of the quality of their product (which has seriously waned in recent years overall) I would not wish ill will like that on anyone nor laugh/act happy when people lost their jobs. Anyone who would is a dick plain and simple. As for the voluntary retirement issue itself....I think it's a much nicer solution then simply picking 50 people to fire. Some may be more in a position financially to do so, or maybe have even been contemplating such a thing or moving on simply. This gives the chance to do so gracefully and help others keep a job who might need it there more. it's not a good thing at all but it is better then just picking 50 people and giving them pink slips.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3