• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Planzet Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
skyreno4 wrote:
Wait until tomorrow another license from sentai....i want to know where the **** are they getting the money,

They're buying 'em on credit! Laughing
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
GinkoArt wrote:
D: My eyes deceived me for a second there, I thought they rescued Planetes from Bandai, ah well hopefully sometime later down the road...
I misread it just the same. Glad to see there are still Planetes fans out there.

->If Planetes could be rescue-relesed with the Japanese extras and all the NASA videos, I would be ecstatic.
->If Planetes & all the extras were rescue-released and Sentai redubbed the series, I would be beatified.
->If Planetes & all the extras were rescue-released with a new dub, and the 2nd season of Moonlight Mile were to also be released dubbed, I would have the stereotypical anime nosebleed and die of the resulting exsanguination or happiness. Whichever would happen first. Laughing

C'mon Sentai! On this movie, I've never heard of it, but I'll probably buy it. Sentai might indeed go bankrupt, but it won't be for lack of support from me. Very Happy Wink[/list]
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
skyreno4 wrote:
Wait until tomorrow another license from sentai....i want to know where the **** are they getting the money,

Or somewhat less ominously: if the studios don't care about our market, they are becoming increasingly willing to take more of a tail (and lower the boot) in case of a surprise success. Royalties... all the fun of credit, but with a much lower chance of bankruptcy.
siradix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I'm really starting to wonder just where Section 23 is getting the capital to afford all these licenses.

I certainly hope they're not getting their hands into anything shady.... again. Confused

Well it might be that for:
DVDs
11-13 episodes they charge $50
24-26 episodes they charge $70
Blu-Rays
11-13 episodes they charge $60
24-26 episodes they charge $90

If they have been recently dubbed under Sentai Filmworks they add another $10, however all Blu-Rays are dubs. And it looks like they knock off around $10 from ordering from their rightstuf page.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
skyreno4 wrote:

Or somewhat less ominously: if the studios don't care about our market, they are becoming increasingly willing to take more of a tail (and lower the boot) in case of a surprise success. Royalties... all the fun of credit, but with a much lower chance of bankruptcy.

A lot of titles are being acquired for little or no money up front, according to reps from Funi and Sentai. For certain properties, the rights holders are sometimes just getting a percentage of sales. So the only initial costs would be the localization and production costs (replication,etc).

Sometimes the rights holders are willing to accept a lower upfront fee for a higher percentage of sales down the line. It could be why we've seen prices creep up a little the past year from most companies.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'm in the minority that isn't surprised by Sentai's growth and success. Confused

They've released more dubs since 2010 (releases with dubs usually sell better tha sub-only stuff), and licensing some popular and best-seller titles like Highschool of the Dead and Samurai Girls (ecchi = $$$) probably brings in a nice cashflow.

Since Planzet is a CoMix Wave title I wonder if it was part of a bundle deal.

Maybe Sentai has Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo (Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below) also? Smile

Though the movies I really want Sentai to get is the Fist of the North Star: Legends of the True Savior saga! Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Though the movies I really want Sentai to get is the Fist of the North Star: Legends of the True Savior saga! Very Happy

This!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Might pick this up many, many miles down the road if I see a cheap version floating around somewhere.

Well don't wait too long lol, once Sentai goes bankrupt and it goes OOP the price will go way up.

Speculation ho!

There's no signs they're even doing badly, never mind having bankruptcy on the horizons. Anyway this is the type of film, if marketed right, could do well with non-anime fans. Sort of like the CGI Appleseed movie or Vexille. Not a bad pick, per say. But they might need to get the word out on this one.

In fact considering how they've picked up the frequency of their dubs, I'd say there are prominent signs they are finally feeling quite stable again and able to get back to business, which has been shown in some of their very strong pickups.
dlaczego

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
There's a great article about Planzet here which I think you may be interested to read.

http://www.mangauk.com/?p=world-war-zed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2