• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Sues 869 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh, Toei's getting involved now?
While this lawsuit won't stop people from downloading/torrenting OP episodes, it might frighten some from attempting to illegal downloading.
But on the other hand, there are those who don't have the simulcast in their country or have the dvds distributed in their specific region.

writerpatrick wrote:

The only way I think I could catch up with One Piece would be to download all the past episodes. Streaming is just a bit too clumsy and I don't know if all the episodes are even available online. DVD cost would be prohibitive. But I just don't have enough interest to bother.

You could always read the manga. It's faster and pretty easy to come across.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Upstage lads! This is my only number

♪ Hey ho ho
It's one for all for one
And we'll share and share alike with you and love you like a son
We're gentlemen of fortune and that's what we're proud to be
And when your a professional pirate
You'll be honest brave and free
The soul of decency
You'll be loyal and fair and on the square
And most importantly
When you're a professional pirate
You're always in the best of company ♪
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
While this lawsuit won't stop people from downloading/torrenting OP episodes, it might frighten some from attempting to illegal downloading.

They statistically know this will not deter most people from downloading, they are attempting to PROFIT from the lawsuit, why sell anime if is is just more damn profitable to sue people who have seen it? Can you spell racketing?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
They statistically know this will not deter most people from downloading, they are attempting to PROFIT from the lawsuit, why sell anime if is is just more damn profitable to sue people who have seen it? Can you spell racketing?

Guess it's more profitable to sue the living bejesus outta folks than releasing legitimate releases.
Failachu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:

Uh... it's 'racketeering' and for the most part, you are correct. These types of suits do nothing to curb piracy, and is only an attempt to derive a quick profit from it. At least from the legal team, for all we know, Toei could've just threw money in their direction and told them 'people are downloading this, make them stop' and this is the end result.

Of course, this is probably going to about just as well as the Funi case, considering that Toei is using the same language in their lawsuit.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:

If you mean racketeering, why yes, I can spell it. For defining it, I'll take the lazy way out and ask google:
Quote:
Traditionally, obtaining or extorting money illegally or carrying on illegal business activities, usually by Organized Crime . A pattern of illegal activity carried out as part of an enterprise that is owned or controlled by those who are engaged in the illegal activity. The latter definition derives from the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corruption Organizations Act (RICO), a set of laws (18 U.S.C.A. § 1961 et seq. [1970]) specifically designed to punish racketeering by business enterprises.

If they succeeded in making more money from catching random torrent seeders, that would be hilarious ~ it would turn torrent seeding into something like the lottery, where because of our built in flaws in evaluating effective values of very low probability events, people buy lottery tickets that always have a lower fair value than the cost of the lottery ticket ~ since the lottery ticket sales fund the prizes plus a healthy surplus off the top.

But actually,the reason lotteries work because people over-estimate the value of very low but real probability events. So what is more likely to happen if they in fact succeed in the lawsuit is more people leeching their torrent streams, refusing to seed because of an over-estimate of the real chances of the next sweep catching them in the net.

Failachu wrote:
... Of course, this is probably going to about just as well as the Funi case, considering that Toei is using the same language in their lawsuit.

Except its in a different Federal circuit entirely.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Until anime in the US is 100% free no DRM, they will pirate it, thats a fact, and that's their reason.

....Dude....Funimation streams One Piece on their site 100% FOR FREE! The only catch is that you have to watch 2-3 ads that are 10-15 seconds long.

So sorry, what is their excuse again? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Failachu wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:

Uh... it's 'racketeering' and for the most part, you are correct. These types of suits do nothing to curb piracy, and is only an attempt to derive a quick profit from it. At least from the legal team, for all we know, Toei could've just threw money in their direction and told them 'people are downloading this, make them stop' and this is the end result.

Of course, this is probably going to about just as well as the Funi case, considering that Toei is using the same language in their lawsuit.

it's not racketeering because this is just legal action. music industry did the same thing. legal doesn't equal to racketeering.
Organized-crime operation is racketeering .

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
Until anime in the US is 100% free no DRM, they will pirate it, thats a fact, and that's their reason.

....Dude....Funimation streams One Piece on their site 100% FOR FREE! The only catch is that you have to watch 2-3 ads that are 10-15 seconds long.

Funi's player is crap. Sure, it works fine if you watch something all at once, but the second you end up defullscreening it breaks into a million little pieces.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

Funi's player is crap. Sure, it works fine if you watch something all at once, but the second you end up defullscreening it breaks into a million little pieces.

This. Plus if you pause it for more than 10 minutes (say you need to go do something in the middle) it crashes and you gotta reload it back to where you were.

It works far better just using it in a media player... and that goes for like every single legal streaming site. Even the best, like Crunchy, has many issues with crashing and no chapters.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

This. Plus if you pause it for more than 10 minutes (say you need to go do something in the middle), and it crashes and you gotta reload it back to where you were.

It works far better just using it in a media player... and that goes for like every single legal streaming site. Even the best, like Crunchy, has many issues with crashing and no chapters.

Honestly: Cry me a river. If people want to watch One Piece in HD so bad then they can import the DVDs from Japan. Still not a valid reason to watch it illegally when it is available legally and for free. I personally do not care if it isn't in HD quality as I am quite happy to be able to watch the series up to date. And I only ever had issues with the player once. Been working fine for me since they allowed Canadians to view their streams.

Bleh....why did I even bother jumping in? Pirates always try to find excuses to validate their reasons for stealing Anime. Welp, all I have left to say is GG for making it harder for North American fans to get more Anime.

*bows out*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

This. Plus if you pause it for more than 10 minutes (say you need to go do something in the middle), and it crashes and you gotta reload it back to where you were.

those are excuse. You can skip to where you stopped for some season. Excuses are excuse. I can watch all anime in CR without any problem. I can stop at 11mins and comeback the next day, click on the ep, it will start at the 11th min.

I don't find many problem with Funi either, you can skip to where you stop and just watch one ad.

Go continue download One Piece and take you chance of getting a law sue. Good luck.
redcar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Didn't Funimation try the same thing before and fail?

Makes me wonder if Toei didn't put them up to it the first time (despite Funimation saying "lol guys this will never work") and are now trying again on their own...I like that they're trying to protect their interests, I just still don't think this is the right way to go about it Confused
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

their excuse is that those ads start to add up after a while for a series as long as One Piece. Take 3 ads times 15 seconds times a projected 1000 episodes and those ads will waste a good 12.5 hours of their life over the course of the series. how dare FUNi expect them to add an additional 12.5 hours to the 380+ hours it will take them to watch the whole thing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

their excuse is that those ads start to add up after a while for a series as long as One Piece. Take 3 ads times 15 seconds times a projected 1000 episodes and those ads will waste a good 12.5 hours of their life over the course of the series. how dare FUNi expect them to add an additional 12.5 hours to the 380+ hours it will take them to watch the whole thing.

Its not like Funi even has episodes 207-390. I wonder what the people who refuse to do illegal downloads do about that break in episodes that Funi has licensed.

Oh, and my adblock blocks the ads anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16